The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Aspergers - Adult Diagnosis

Ian J.

I found the diagnosis answered alot of questions that I had been asking myself for some time but I had never managed to find an answer.

Good luck

Marc

This is why I want an assessment, to find out why I have always felt like the proverbial square peg in a round hole

Edited by laurenceb

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had the official diagnosis through the post today, and it's confirmed the initial view on the day of the assessment. I plan to have a follow up session at some point, but as I'm currently doing a job which I don't know whether it will carry on or finish from one week to the next, I don't think I feel quite up to it.

Ian,

Now you have an official letter you can apply for help in the work place through "Access to Work". I'm currently on a course of coping strategy lessons, they are really helpful, I have found out why I had problems working in certain environments.   If you are employed or are self-employed they are really helpful, mainly because it's cheaper for them to give you help to stay in work than pay benefits if your not. I your employed you will need to get your manager to contact them, if not you can do it yourself.

Marc

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that Access to Work won't help me in my line of work. When doing temp and contract assignments for coding the employers don't want to have to deal with anything out of the ordinary.

As far as coping strategies are concerned, my main issues are being put into social communication roles which aren't suitable for me. No amount of courses to help with that will fix it as I don't deal with other people well enough for that kind of work, period. That's why I stick to things I know I can cope with such as coding, fixing computers, and other practical or technical stuff.

The biggest problem I'm going to have though is that so many jobs today expect to have good social/soft skills as standard, and that seems to be getting getting 'worse'. For me, without dedicated and long term technical training in new skills, I'm going to find it difficult to stay in employment. This is all not helped by having a lower back problem as well.

But hey-ho. I will try and muddle through.

Ian,

Sounds like you have nothing to loose. Give them a ring explane your situation and see what they can do for you. Also you might qualify for PIPs, which might help, pop round to your local Citizens Advice office they are very good with getting forms filled in.

Good luck and remember the world of disablities is set up for phisical/visable disablities and not for people with nuro diversity so be prepared to fight.

marc 

As far as coping strategies are concerned, my main issues are being put into social communication roles which aren't suitable for me. No amount of courses to help with that will fix it as I don't deal with other people well enough for that kind of work, period. That's why I stick to things I know I can cope with such as coding, fixing computers, and other practical or technical stuff.

Quite similar to me (I am also a coder). I was very happy when we moved desks and the phone on my desk didn't work. Managed to keep it that way for getting on for 2 years.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had an assessment for an Autism about a year ago. I was starting to get a bit cheesed off with having no family, no friends, no real hobby (no budget for trains at the moment), and a daily dose of anti-depressants that is the highest that can be prescribed outside of a hospital, and wanted to know "why me".

I scored very high on the scale, but not enough to tag me with an official diagnosis. Some good news came out of it (I have an IQ of 135 and am in the top 5% of the population in terms of my ability to communicate), but some bad came out as well (my speech patterns came come across a little formal and old-fashioned which people may find off-putting). 

So without a diagnosis, I am having to try to turn things around myself, and have been training as an Army Cadet Instructor since last Summer. Again, I suspect many of the other adults there think I am a little odd and peculiar, but with the desperate shortage of adult staff needed for Health and safety reasons my peculiarities seem to have been accepted thus far. 

I have been accepted for assessment but the date they gave me was already taken by a hospital appointment, the next date they sent also clashed! Am now waiting for another one.

Stick with it. It will be worth the wait. Remember Nuro-diverse people are the ones who change the world.

Marc

Hello.

Started from the beginning of the thread and have finally made it to the (current) end.

Scored 39 in the autism test, and 15 in the empathy test. Have tested as INTJ on the Myer-Briggs scale for at least 20 years.

Once when tested at work a colleague (ISTJ) took their results as an action plan, with areas to improve. On the contrary I took mine (INTJ) as a statement - it was broadly correct, as much as these things are.

Hello.

Started from the beginning of the thread and have finally made it to the (current) end.

Scored 39 in the autism test, and 15 in the empathy test. Have tested as INTJ on the Myer-Briggs scale for at least 20 years.

Once when tested at work a colleague (ISTJ) took their results as an action plan, with areas to improve. On the contrary I took mine (INTJ) as a statement - it was broadly correct, as much as these things are.

when we covered myers briggs at work about 20 years ago we were told to use it to understand how other people might think and certainly never as a recruitment tool. we were also told that if the test gave a result that didn't chime with what we felt we were then the test result was incorrect.  In those days ASD wasn't on people's radar as much; I'd be interested to see how people on the spectrum fit and whether the "thought process characteristics" of the various types are fit for neurotypicals only; my younger son (on the spectrum) has an almost exclusively visual learning style (although he has learned other strategies as he has grown older), and it would be fascinating to learn how we sees himself.

• RMweb Premium

Depending on state of mind, I'm either INTJ or ISTJ. I think it needs to be said though that, to the best of my knowledge, the Myers-Briggs test was never meant to be of clinical grade. It was developed to aid in team building exercises within private companies so any results from it should always be considered with caution.

The autism tests (AQ50 and the empathy equivalent) were developed by clinicians, specifically Simon Baron-Cohen (brother, I think, of the 'comedian' Sasha Baron-Cohen).

Tomorrow to Sheffield for an assessment, to say I am nervous is an understatement!

Good look. Nothing to be nervous about. Just think about what they are asking and answer their questions as best you can. they aren't going to trip you up its not like an exam. there are no right or wrong answers to the questions.

I had to take someone with me, who knew me well. I though this was for support but it actually turned out to be a requirement of the assessment as they were taken away and asked questions about how I behaved. They even brought my elderly parents in for an interview, about 2 weeks later, to ask about my childhood. So if they have asked for you to bring someone with you tomorrow take them along as it helps them with diagnosis.

marc

Tomorrow to Sheffield for an assessment, to say I am nervous is an understatement!

Good luck. Remember that the assessment changes nothing about you - you are who you are.

What it may do in the long run is provide you with reasons why you might find things difficult, or other people incomprehensible, and opportunities to discover coping mechanisms, and to share how you feel with people who care/understand.

Good luck. Remember that the assessment changes nothing about you - you are who you are.

What it may do in the long run is provide you with reasons why you might find things difficult, or other people incomprehensible, and opportunities to discover coping mechanisms, and to share how you feel with people who care/understand.

Defiantly an opportunity. The door will be opened on a brave new world of possibilities. its up to you what you do with them.

Marc   

Thanks all. Will be taking a friend although there is no mention of this in the letter. Was sent a questionnaire to fill in, worded from the point of view of asking a parent. Was the child a late developer? was the child unusually needy? Questions I have no way of answering as anyone who new me at that time is no longer around.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all. Will be taking a friend although there is no mention of this in the letter. Was sent a questionnaire to fill in, worded from the point of view of asking a parent. Was the child a late developer? was the child unusually needy? Questions I have no way of answering as anyone who new me at that time is no longer around.

I was (am) in much the same circumstances. Neither of my parents is alive (though it would have made no difference in the case of my father). My sister, though older than me, was too young to know anything much of my early childhood. So I just had to go in with who I was, on my own. It helps to have someone else to take along who knows you well and particularly since early childhood, but it isn't critical.