changes to Hornby 2016 range

beejack

Your real problem is not which King to go for, but the fact that you misguidedly view the GW as a side-show!  I know it isn't, so I will try both Kings (and I expect Hattons' to come out of the comparison very well)

Each to their own. Southern region is my main interest, everything else is secondary, nice to have for me. So if someone did a Merchant Navy to the Hattons king standard or to a Dapol A4 super deluxe standard, or if SLW did a class 33 to their class 24 standard, I would go for one. However I cannot justify the expense when there are more suited primary interest items in the offering.

I have ordered a Hattons King to replace a 25 year old Hornby one with something a bit more modern. However the Bachmann NSE coloured EPB plus 2-Hap in NSE plus 2-HAP in blue grey fit much into the southern thing of things and will be out at the same time along with a pair of Merchant Navies. A program of some £800 in 2017. The King is secondary to those for me. I might delay one 2-HAP.

• RMweb Gold

Your real problem is not which King to go for, but the fact that you misguidedly view the GW as a side-show!  I know it isn't, so I will try both Kings (and I expect Hattons' to come out of the comparison very well)

Exactly my thoughts - while I very much like what the Hattons one sets out to offer the Hornby one is currently available from Kernow at a very attractive price (£109.99) so one duly arrived in the hands of the Postman today, and I only ordered it yesterday!  From my initial look at it is even better looking 'in the plastic' than it is in photos I've seen on the 'net and I can (for very late BR condition) see only one very minor, and near unnoticeable, shortcoming but that does depend on exactly which loco you pick for a running number in final condition.

At its original price I would have probably still been wondering about being tempted by the Hornby one but sometimes clearance sales can offer an attractive incentive :sungum: .

Very surprised to see R3389TTS Class 60 '60012' EWS totally withdrawn. At least it takes one model of my medium to large list of desirable models :)

I thought anything EWS was a winner for models!

I think the issue could be lack of pre-orders I know my local shop have not ordered any top of the range models with tts as they feel someone who spends £160 on a top of the range diesel is not usually looking for a budget sound unit. If they are looking to spend this amount they want a full function unit, they have ordered several tts sound railroad models as market is good for these and several Bachmann full spec sound model such as class 66.

I feel Hornby may have misjudged the market in regards who wants tts sound with this year's top of the range models.

Heres the list in order of appearance in the catalogue

Page 5

R3383TTS R 4-6-0 'Earl of St Germans' Castle Class, Early BR WITHDRAWN

R3389TTS Class 60 '60012' EWS WITHDRAWN

R3391TTS BR Class 31 '31239' WITHDRAWN

Page 6

R3382TTS BR 4-6-2 'Holland-Afrika Line' Merchant Navy (Un-Rebuilt), Early BR 2017

R3385TTS BR 4-6-0 '45116' 'Black 5' Class 5MT, Early BR 2017

R3386TTS BR 4-4-0 'King's Canterbury' '30933' Schools Class, Late BR WITHDRAWN

R3387TTS BR 4-6-2 'Lord Hurcomb' '70001' Britannia Class, Early BR WITHDRAWN

Page 7

R3394TTS RailRoad Class 20 '20163' with TTS Sound 2017

Page 8

R3397 LMS Suburban Passenger Train Pack 2017

R3402 LNER Queen of Scots Train Pack 2017

Page 13

R3451 BR 4-6-0 'Stembok' '61032' Thompson B1 Class 2017

Page 14

R3452 BR 4-6-0 'Llanvair Grange' 6800 Grange Class, Late BR 2017

R3455 GWR 4-6-0 'Knight of St Patrick' '4013' 4000 Star Class 2017

Page 16

R3442 LMS 4-6-2 'City of Bristol' '6237' Princess Coronation  Air Smoothed WITHDRAWN

R3454 GWR 4-6-0 'Drysllwyn Castle' 4073 Castle Class 2017

Page 17

R3404 BR 2-6-4T '42334' Fowler 4P, Late BR 2017

R3422 SR 4-4-2T '3125' Adams Radial 415 Class 2017

R3423 BR 4-4-2T '30583' Adams Radial 415 Class - Late BR 2017

R3434 SR 4-6-2 'Channel Packet' '21C1' Merchant Navy Class (Un-Rebuilt) 2017

R3435 SR 4-6-2 'Royal Mail' '21C3' Merchant Navy Class (Un-Rebuilt) 2017

R3458 SR 4-4-0 'Shrewsbury' Schools Class 2017

Page 18

R3436 BR 4-6-2 'Clan Line' '35028'  Merchant Navy (Un-Rebuilt) Early BR 2017

R3445 BR 4-6-2 'Camelford' West Country Class BR Early - Air Smoothed 2017

R3446 LNER 2-8-0 '6359' Class O1 WITHDRAWN

Page 19

R3453 BR 4-6-0 '45274' 'Black 5' Class 5MT - Late BR 2017

R3468 BR 4-6-2 '603 Squadron' '34077'  Battle of Britain Class - Rebuilt 2017

Page 20

R3472 EWS Co-Co Diesel '56018' Class 56 WITHDRAWN

R3473 Railfreight Co-Co Diesel '56108' Class 56 2017

Page 21

R3484 BR 0-6-0 '13363' Class 08 2017

Page 22

R3470 A1A-A1A Diesel 'D5509' Class 31 WITHDRAWN

R3485 'Laira Diesel Depot' Class 08 2017

Page 23

R3474 Virgin Bo-Bo Electric  'The International Brigades' Class 90 WITHDRAWN

R3475 Greater Anglia Bo-Bo Electric  'Norfolk & Norwich Festival' Class 90 WITHDRAWN

Page 27

R4738 Pullman First Class Parlour Car 'Lyida' 2017

Page 28

R4739 Pullman Third Class Parlour Car 'Car No.34' 2017

R4740 Pullman First Class Kitchen Car 'Argus' 2017

R4741 Pullman Third Class Kitchen Car 'Car No.58' 2017

R4742 Pullman Third Class Brake Car 'Car No.162' 2017

Page 34

R4178C BR (ex-LNER) 61'6" Gresley Corridor Composite Brake Crimson and Cream WITHDRAWN

R4179B BR (ex-LNER) 61'6" Gresley Corridor 1st Class Coach, Crimson and Cream WITHDRAWN

R4180B BR (ex-LNER) 61'6" Gresley Corridor 3rd Class Coach, Crimson and Cream WITHDRAWN

R4181B BR (ex-LNER) 61'6" Gresley Corridor Buffet Coach, Crimson and Cream WITHDRAWN

Page 35

R4572A LNER Thompson Non-corridor (Lavatory) Composite Coach, Teak 2017

R4573A LNER Thompson Non-corridor 3rd Class Coach, Teak 2017

R4574A LNER Thompson Non-corridor 3rd Class Brake Coach, Teak 2017

R4745 BR '2-SET W' Coach Pack WITHDRAWN

Page 36

R4234B BR (Ex-LMS) Corridor 1st Class Maroon 2017

R4235C BR (Ex-LMS) Corridor 3rd Class Maroon 2017

R4236C BR (Ex-LMS) Corridor Brake 3rd Class Maroon 2017

Page 37

R4131C BR (Ex-LMS) 68' Dining/Restaurant Car, Maroon 2017

Page 42

R6743 4 Plank Wagon 'Westleigh Stone & Lime Co. Ltd' 2017

R6745 4 Plank Wagon 'Hingley & Sons Ltd' 2017

R6747 5 Plank Wagon 'Walter Burt' 2017

R6748 5 Plank Wagon 'Foster Wilson' 2017

R6749 5 Plank Wagon 'Farndon' 2017

R6750 5 Plank Wagon 'Shap Tarred Granite' 2017

Page 43

R6744 4 Plank Wagon 'North Bitchburn Coal Co. Ltd 2017

R6746 4 Plank Wagon 'Stephens & Co.' 2017

Page 44

R6764 Departmental ZCV (Tope) Wagon WITHDRAWN

Page 47

R6772 EWS 100 Ton Tank Wagon 2017

R6773 BR Ferry Van VIX 2017

R6774 BR Ferry Van VJX 2017

R6775 SR Vent Van 2017

Page 48

R3492 RailRoad BR '20059' Class 20 WITHDRAWN

R3493 RailRoad BR 'Sir Richard Arkwright' '87026' Class 87 WITHDRAWN

Page 49

R3494 RailRoad BR 4-6-0 '45025' 'Black 5' Class 5MT 2017

At its original price I would have probably still been wondering about being tempted by the Hornby one but sometimes clearance sales can offer an attractive incentive :sungum: .

Ah, the siren song of that sultry temptress - the sales discount.

• RMweb Gold

The King is a "no show" for me. Whatever GWR interlopers might appear on "my patch" definitely aren't "Double Red".

I've never been a great fan of the Kings anyway, it always struck me that Collett got it pretty much dead right with the Castle, then took the idea a bit beyond its logical conclusion.

John

The King is a "no show" for me. Whatever GWR interlopers might appear on "my patch" definitely aren't "Double Red".

I've never been a great fan of the Kings anyway, it always struck me that Collett got it pretty much dead right with the Castle, then took the idea a bit beyond its logical conclusion.

John

Were I to stray into Swindon territory, I should restrict my new-found interest possibly to the OWW route ("I remember Adlestrop") or to the Dorset branches.("The Small Back Room") But that won't be any time soon. Whilst I must concede that Hornby know their market better than I, the postponement of the Adams 0415 class number 3125 is an unwelcome disruption to my procurement strategy. In a show of frustration I attempted an impulse buy of a substitute. Later in the evening, and when checking the record, I discovered that I had made a pigs ear of the attempted on-line purchase, and nothing had been activated. Thus relieved, I have left alive my attempted pre-order for 3125 to acknowledge the passing of yet another year. But that leaves my options open for Oxford's 3250, and any other acceptable O2 that Kernow may produce.

Fortunately, the 58ft carriage stock appears to have survived this latter-day "Night of the Long Knives". I just hope that Hornby have taken the Set Number lesson on board.

PB

Fortunately, I have a long-term project that not merely permits, but requires, a reasonable number of GWR 4-6-0s.  And, yes, I know they all look the same.  And, of course, it will have all that bucolic branch line stuff too, but, thanks to the mainline, I will be able to stick to a real timetable and nevertheless not have time to fall asleep between trains.

Fortunately, too, the operative phrase is "long-term", so really I'm relieved rather than fussed that I've a few extra months to wait. 

My tastes are extremely catholic, and certainly embrace all British outline steam up to the war.  I have never understood how people can become overly partisan or entertain prejudices concerning other railways, but, since the railway that attracts the most flak is the GWR, that would seem to imply some deep down sense of inferiority as the motive.

Live and let steam I say (as I run for the exit)!

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the siren song of that sultry temptress - the sales discount.

Yes, no, maybe.  I have had a preference one for the Hattons one ever since details began to come clear so it was fully settled in that regard but I still thought the Hornby one could be quite good and perfectly acceptable but not at that price (i.e. RRP) against a Hattons one and maybe the Steam 'special' as well (because I happen to like supporting Steam and it's a nice way to do it).  But a heftily reduced Hornby one, oh and closely followed by a maturing National Savings certificate, struck me as sense (of a sort).  And as it fits the 'area modelled' (when I build it!!) them a very late condition one is right for me - and I won't be buying a 47XX (if & when it appears) so why not havea  couple of 'Kings'?

As far as 'Castle's are concerned I think the message to Hornby is to 'do the right one(s) and you'll get orders' and they have a  very big hole in respect of Collett tenders in BR livery but particularly second emblem.

• RMweb Premium

My main interest in steam is Southern, more particularly the designs of Oliver Bulleid. That said I also like GWR designs and despite my move to stop just buying models that "look nice" with a complete scatter gun approach a few years ago I do still buy a bit of GWR. Their 4-6-0 designs (particularly the Castles) were such beautiful looking locomotives, in aesthetic terms arguably the most elegant built for the UK. Excellent technically too. The Hornby Castle and King are both superb models, I bought a Hornby King and am very happy I did so. I'll probably buy a Hattons one too, but I honestly think that the Hornby one is well enough done that even if the Hattons one is better (which is a speculative opinion at the moment, as nobody knows) it will not alter the fact that the Hornby version is also excellent.

Well, I have a fondness for a number of pre-Grouping companies (which might be why a major interest is the Great Western in the 1930!?!), not least of which is the old South Western, and I do like a splash of Maunsell Green.  I certainly intend to invoke Rule No.1 and, with a cry of "if Pendon can do it, I jolly well can!" to entertain the odd special diverted from the Withered Arm.

I believe that happened in 1934 when the Southern needed to get a Lord Nelson class to Navy Day at Devonport.  Prototype for everything, see. 

I think 2016 might go down as a great year for UK 00 steam from Hornby.

I find enjoyment from all aspects of the age of steam, and especially like the LSWR having family ties to Guildford, but my life-long railway enthusiast father only bought one model for himself, a Hornby Dublo Castle, his father had in turn being an engine driver on New Zealand Railways A class compounds, maybe a relationship there...  

My allegiance to one railway or area depends on the phase of the moon, but I always liked Bulleids, even if Swindon got most things sorted in Churchward's day....  I think the Star is the most graceful of engines.  Having said that, a Princess Coronation in good nick averaging nearly 90mph with the Caledonian...'King George VI' and going over Tring summit at that speed, well, a MN would have done that with ease, been turned and done it again, all before breakfast.   :)

A great year for Hornby models of engines.  I couldn't wait for the Adams, have bought 2 Oxford versions, and particularly like the Rails weathered LSWR version. Surely engines before 1923 were not always like fairground rides?  

Fortunately, I have a long-term project that not merely permits, but requires, a reasonable number of GWR 4-6-0s.  And, yes, I know they all look the same.  And, of course, it will have all that bucolic branch line stuff too, but, thanks to the mainline, I will be able to stick to a real timetable and nevertheless not have time to fall asleep between trains.

Fortunately, too, the operative phrase is "long-term", so really I'm relieved rather than fussed that I've a few extra months to wait. 

My tastes are extremely catholic, and certainly embrace all British outline steam up to the war.  I have never understood how people can become overly partisan or entertain prejudices concerning other railways, but, since the railway that attracts the most flak is the GWR, that would seem to imply some deep down sense of inferiority as the motive.

Live and let steam I say (as I run for the exit)!

Don't get wrong, I like all railways and I have about 40 GWR or former GWR locos. I never said it was inferior or anything else. If there was nothing or little southern due, then money would be made for the King, it looks impressive. However I grew up in the south east and remember fondly all that colourful slam door stock. So did my parents and most of their parents. So my main interest is anything in the south east between 1900 and 1995 and those HAPs and EPBs and Merchant Navies are must haves in 2017, everything else is secondary to those but when there is a year with no southern, doubtless I will buy a King.

This year I have 3 USA tanks, 3 more Adams radials, a set of LSWR coaches, maybe a set Maunsell coaches in Bullied green if I can find out that they are low window stock. And that does not include, other stuff brought and paid for since the start of the year.

Don't get wrong, I like all railways and I have about 40 GWR or former GWR locos. I never said it was inferior or anything else. If there was nothing or little southern due, then money would be made for the King, it looks impressive. However I grew up in the south east and remember fondly all that colourful slam door stock. So did my parents and most of their parents. So my main interest is anything in the south east between 1900 and 1995 and those HAPs and EPBs and Merchant Navies are must haves in 2017, everything else is secondary to those but when there is a year with no southern, doubtless I will buy a King.

This year I have 3 USA tanks, 3 more Adams radials, a set of LSWR coaches, maybe a set Maunsell coaches in Bullied green if I can find out that they are low window stock. And that does not include, other stuff brought and paid for since the start of the year.

Unfortunately, there is no "Fair Enough" rating button.

So, fair enough.

Indeed.

I too cannot get to grips with the 'us and the other lot' mentality except that anything LNWR is always wrong. And North British. And GER.   And Derby couldn't roll a taper boiler, and Crewe couldn't make a bearing.... 

Which leaves us with Ivatt and Churchward.   Whose ideas were both developed and adapted by Gresley and Stanier, with O V S Bulleid as an encore.  Maunsell could have sorted it all but the Southern went electric...  

Simple really....  British design is all about the art of making something which is nearly right  actually work.... and making something which is quite far from being right  work in spite of it all...  there's probably a German or French word for that, but in English it's a phrase, the 'British Way'.

the LMS Garratt was PERFECTLY in this mould. 

Do I detect the cold hand of the accountant, on the enthusiastic if inept shoulder of the sales team?

Mike

Agree button duly ascribed to that question.

The answer is, we might know by Christmas, but probably (and as it should be) the accountant's hand will prevail.

Archived