changes to Hornby 2016 range

beejack

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have today released a full list of changes to the 2106 range with a great many items now being held over until 2017 or just withdrawn 

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/changes-to-our-Hornby-2016-range/

The railroad class 20TTS has now had a status change and is to be included in the 2017 range but the Class 31 TTS is still shown as withdrawn.

Hornby have today released a full list of changes to the 2106 range with a great many items now being held over until 2017 or just withdrawn 

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/changes-to-our-Hornby-2016-range/

The railroad class 20TTS has now had a status change and is to be included in the 2017 range but the Class 31 TTS is still shown as withdrawn.

Thanks for posting the info.

With my selfish head on, I'm glad they haven't dropped the B12s (esp R3430)  Or the H&P Peckett!  I suppose they're far too down the production road for dropping them to make any sort of financial sense.

I had been thinking of the Railroad class 20, if only to swap the TTS gubbins into a green livery one.  Oh well, that'll save some money this year.

With my selfish head on, I'm glad they haven't dropped the B12s (esp R3430)  Or the H&P Peckett!  I suppose they're far too down the production road for dropping them to make any sort of financial sense.

I had been thinking of the Railroad class 20, if only to swap the TTS gubbins into a green livery one.  Oh well, that'll save some money this year.

Agree on the B12, and am quite tempted by the Peckett for some sort of exchange siding - a Felsted type sugar factory, but just the sidings.

As you say, just think of the money we'll save!

• RMweb Premium

I think its now unlikely that there will be a 2017 announcement at the end of this year other than to re-iterate the list above.

I agree Andrew. Perhaps one new announcement, but I feel next year for Hornby will be like this year for Bachmann. A year to consolidate and clear the backlog of new model that are moving up the ladder.

• RMweb Gold

I think its now unlikely that there will be a 2017 announcement at the end of this year other than to re-iterate the list above.

I suspect it will be the same as the way the 2016 stuff emerged.  Obviously we will see MN EPs etc appear via The Engine Shed (unless there is a major policy change) as development proceeds but what will be interesting is what has happened to the rest of the 2017 programme - in other words is there a general slowing down in order to spread costs?

I believe the decision on the 2017 range will have been taken in the past few weeks and obviously it has included a 2016 review as well - no doubt in the light or orders received thus far and there could well be some sound sense in putting back repeats of relatively recent models in the light of recent warehouse clearances of stuff which has been repeated fairly quickly.  Mind you I'm still not sure if that is really the answer to the way the market has moved in recent years?

The problem is we had a flush of new annoucements and new players mixed with price increases. The market is saturated and cannot support it.

I give an example. In the 1990s we were crying out for an EMU. The choice old Triang thing, tin plate Dublo thing, Wrenn Brighton bell or build your own. The RTR models were being sold at a premium despite their obsolete nature.

Towards the end of the 1990s, the 466 appeared. To disgust of most, but I was delighted and could not wait for a 465 that never happened. We had to wait 10 years (almost 2010) for the next RTR EMU.

You would think from that grim picture, EMUs would still be few and far between....

Not so, quite a range has come out. Over the past few years there have even been fire sales. I have 17 EMUs today, nearly 2/3rds brought in fire sales. Today there are yet more EMUs in fire sales plus HAPs on the way and I'm feeling quite bloated! I suspect North Eastern modelers are starting to feel the same.

Looking at new releases still due this year there are:

Peckett

B12

Q6

Adams Radial

Class 71

The peckett should do well, though industrials are a risk, the only recent example being sentinels.

B12 and Q6 and more Eastern models. Both have their charms and should do well but Hornby should keep production figures close to the order book.

The last pair duplicate other items on the market. The Radial might do well or loose badly to its now established competitor. The 71 will probably be out before DJM but is less varied in choice. Either way both products are at risk to perform not as well.

The one that should be a confirmed winner, the Merchant Navy, is delayed.

• RMweb Premium

Two of the Adams Radial, SR and late BR are now showing 2017.

True, but the first batch of releases are still showing 13/07/2016. It makes sense to defer a further run as it will mean longer for the first releases to sell out first. And if they sell poorly, still time to cancel the second production run.

There was a view expressed by Hornby repeatedly in the days of SK and the annual Broadstairs press liaison that "EMUs don't sell". It was based on experience with the APT and the Networker. Hornby relies a great deal on 'precedent' - if it didn't work, don't try it again. Similarly if it does work, flog it to death. The latter happened with the 2BIL - followed swiftly by umpteen liveries and then the 2HAL with umpteen liveries. I was looking at six or seven lined up in the shop the other day, all different liveries on SR 2-car EMUs. THe fact that they ranged in price from £100-£135 shows that some have been there a lot longer than others. They aren't selling because the market is saturated. Putting it simply, its better to do 500 of something and leave 10 unlucky customers frustrated, than to do 600 and have 90 left on the shelf. (CJL)

I am sorry for all those disappointed and inconvenienced.  From my own point of view as someone with a long-term interest in the inter-war Great Western, I am fairly content.

I have wished for years that Hornby would produce a pre-war GW Castle of the later type (square cylinder casing and fire-iron tunnel). That has now been delayed, but 2016 is a year in which the inter-war GW modeller is faced with 2 Hornby Kings, 3 Hatton Kings (probably early 2017 now), and the 5 new Hornby Collett coaches.

A number of Drysllwyn Castles, when they come, will allow me largely to complete a stud of Castles, provided that my house sells and I'm thus over my financial crisis by then, so I am grateful for the breather!

Now I'm really hacked off about the 'skinhead' 31 because I was looking to buy 2 or even 3, they being so useful on a late '50s GE layout. The teak-finished Thompson's should be dropped as they had such a short life in that livery.

The BR period (up to the mid '60s) is getting rather neglected.

I have wished for years that Hornby would produce a pre-war GW Castle of the later type (square cylinder casing and fire-iron tunnel). That has now been delayed, but 2016 is a year in which the inter-war GW modeller is faced with 2 Hornby Kings, 3 Hatton Kings (probably early 2017 now), and the 5 new Hornby Collett coaches.

Hattons have stated on their thread last week that there King is delayed until the 14XX is fully defined and well underway to harmonise parts between both designs. And that this is pushed back until 2017.

I must admit, now the price gap between the Hornby King and Hattons has greatly increased (£60 cheaper), I am tempted to go for Hornby now and drop the Hattons one. GWR is a side show on my layout which is primarily Southern. On the other hand, the 2-HAP which is much more of a must have for me, is likely to cause me to forget about a king altogether!

Hattons have stated on their thread last week that there King is delayed until the 14XX is fully defined and well underway to harmonise parts between both designs. And that this is pushed back until 2017.

I must admit, now the price gap between the Hornby King and Hattons has greatly increased (£60 cheaper), I am tempted to go for Hornby now and drop the Hattons one. GWR is a side show on my layout which is primarily Southern. On the other hand, the 2-HAP which is much more of a must have for me, is likely to cause me to forget about a king altogether!

I wanted a preserved King GV  as these were being sold by STEAM for £200 I went for the Hornby option at £109.99 from Kernow as it will be run only occasionally it was a no brainer. For me it looks great and runs superb. One of my best Hornby locos to be honest. 

• RMweb Gold

I wanted a preserved King GV  as these were being sold by STEAM for £200 I went for the Hornby option at £109.99 from Kernow as it will be run only occasionally it was a no brainer. For me it looks great and runs superb. One of my best Hornby locos to be honest. 

Indeed it is.Its performance is one of the best from a Hornby loco.At the moment a 'best buy' without doubt...with a caveat concerning your personal tolerance of the 'green' paint job.A touch of subtle weathering could mitigate that,together with the application of a set of etched brass plates. My own personal preference is for the BR blue version which looks the part with a mixed rake of crimson and cream Hawksworths and Colletts. I am glad now that I had the foresight to obtain the 'Glossy George' special from Locomotion Models which deals with the problem of the sickly green on the standard version without recourse to any kind of weathering.

The problem is we had a flush of new annoucements and new players mixed with price increases. The market is saturated and cannot support it.

The market is only saturated for *some* things. I think Chris puts it quite well.

... Hornby relies a great deal on 'precedent' - if it didn't work, don't try it again. Similarly if it does work, flog it to death. ....

Putting it simply, its better to do 500 of something and leave 10 unlucky customers frustrated, than to do 600 and have 90 left on the shelf. (CJL)

Looking at new releases still due this year there are:

Peckett

B12

Q6

Adams Radial

Class 71

It is interesting to see what is delayed, withdrawn and what remains planned for 2016 delivery.

I note that the following remain planned (amongst many other things of course):

• 6 plank wagons with new chassis tooling* (I only see the 5 plank and 4 plank versions deferred to 2017.)
  • SR cattle wagons
  • SR Maunsell rebuilt 58' ex-LSWR coaches

* as specified in the catalogue.  There are also similar looking 3 plank wagon illustrations. 

Exactly what set of criteria helped make these choices is not important, though no doubt, those criteria include a strict (and reduced) operational budget, pre-order volume, existing sales of 'similar' items, development stage, anticipated tooling cost schedule, and possibly even the target factory.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it looks very much like the 'withdrawn' items are all re-liveries of existing models.

Your real problem is not which King to go for, but the fact that you misguidedly view the GW as a side-show!  I know it isn't, so I will try both Kings (and I expect Hattons' to come out of the comparison very well)

... there could well be some sound sense in putting back repeats of relatively recent models in the light of recent warehouse clearances of stuff which has been repeated fairly quickly.  Mind you I'm still not sure if that is really the answer to the way the market has moved in recent years?

I think that makes sense for some targeted items.

Assuming the Hornby list is comprehensive, the four re-issued Maunsell coaches in Bulleid green are an example. In the original 2016 plan they demonstrated some 'joined up thinking' with the Merchant Navy. They show an August availability.

R4734

R4735

R4736

R4737

It seems to me that once the expense of tooling up coaches is done they are more reliable sellers* in new livery alternatives than renumbered locomotives.

* Assuming an unsatisfied livery choice. (More Hawksworth coaches would not be a good idea. More GWR Collett coaches in any one of three liveries: early Collett, reissues of new numbers in the simplified later Collett, and possibly even Collett shirtbutton* might be sensible.)

* I expect Hornby to measure the success of "The Bristolian" train pack before committing to more shirtbutton coaches.

Now I'm really hacked off about the 'skinhead' 31 because I was looking to buy 2 or even 3, they being so useful on a late '50s GE layout. The teak-finished Thompson's should be dropped as they had such a short life in that livery.

The BR period (up to the mid '60s) is getting rather neglected.

You do know there's a Q6 coming very soon! Get one (or even some) of them!

Archived