SWAG Member's Day - 2017 - Some thoughts and questions

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

It should be interesting getting rooms over the May Day bank holiday, if you've not already done it, plus the best form of travelling will be by rail, if the M5 is like this year's May Day when large chunks of it were at a standstill southbound in the the Bristol area on the Saturday morning, when I travelled to the Bristol show.

• RMweb Gold

It should be interesting getting rooms over the May Day bank holiday, if you've not already done it, plus the best form of travelling will be by rail, if the M5 is like this year's May Day when large chunks of it were at a standstill southbound in the the Bristol area on the Saturday morning, when I travelled to the Bristol show.

But should be the weekend before the May Day bank holiday, surely?

But should be the weekend before the May Day bank holiday, surely?

Not next year; the bank holiday is on Monday 1st May. A combination of Taunton being as late as it can be and the bank holiday as early as it can be.

Slummin' at the Travelodge as there'd no room at the (Premier) inn. As long as I don't get the room with bullet holes in the ceiling again (or more importantly the room above it).

• RMweb Premium

Where are most members stopping for the Saturday night ?

No arrangements yet in place as my presence in the country is not as yet guaranteed by this date.  If I'm coming I shall either make what ever booking I can at a late stage, make a day-trip of it from London or stay with friends in Hayle and drive up.  Ah the joys of a fluid situation ..... but at least the fluid situation comes in pints once I'm back home!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having said I was willing to be part of the team but was rather busy this year I have completely missed this thread. In fact I have been so busy that I didn't even get to Rail-Ex at Taunton despite being on the committee of the organising club. However I will be doing what I can for 2017. So is it all on here? And what help may be required from me.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have enjoyed being part of the Taunton event for the last three years, but I regret that I will be unable to attend this year. A combination of factors has changed my circumstances, to the extent that my entire model collection, including my test track and two RMweb modules, is currently in storage. My modelling has therefore had to be put on hold for the moment. Other factors dictate that it will be difficult for me to even attend as a visitor.

Despite this, I will continue to follow developments, in the hope that I can return in 2018. I wish you all the best of luck with your planning.

• RMweb Premium

And sadly another near miss here (is the opposite a far hit?) as, with dates now confirmed, I don't arrive until a few days after the event.  I wish you well and also plan to be there in 2018.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just booked a hotel room for the weekend, I'll be travelling with Graham_Muz and helping to operate his Canary Quay (or whatever its called :P

Having had a flick through the page and haven't got my head around whats happening, is there a resolution to the eating arrangements on Saturday?

Looking forward to the weekend, it's always a highlight of the year for me!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't you be more comfortable sleeping in a hotel bed?

Geoff Endacott

I get a very comfy bed in Williton as it happens ;)

And now some IMPORTANT NOTICES

1.  The SWAG weekend this year synchronises (clashes??) with the WSR Steam Gala weekend,  For those who happen to be interested you will find some details here -

http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/events/detail/spring-steam-gala 

2.  But the really IMPORTANT NOTICE is in respect of our Saturday visit to the Taunton MRG's layouts Tamerig and Bath Green Park.  Because of the gala these layouts will be open to public visitors over the Gala weekend therefore if you are visiting on Saturday late afternoon/evening as an RMweb member please do not present yourself at 'the hut' before 17.00 (unless you want to be part of the ordinary public access).  It has been arranged with Taunton MRG that they will close to the 'ordinary public' just before 17.00 on the Saturday and re-open immediately after 17.00 for us lot.

No doubt the gala weekend might have some impact on car parking as well but I don't know what that might happen to be (if anything).

Has any decision been made about a meal on saturday evening - with it being a  Bank Holiday weekend I suspect time might be getting short?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike for sorting the Taunton MRG end of things.

I am not aware yet of any fixed arrangements for the sat evening meal having decided yet. Perhaps its time to try and get a show of hands so to speak of those whom will be attending a meal on the sat evening.

I can kick off me with me and the signal monkey St. Simon

Jerry

I am pretty certain the Sunday is going ahead with I am sure timings etc as per previous years, I have just sent a PM to Stu regarding some thoughts on catering, and I am sure he  / we will be aback along to this thread soon to firm things up a bit...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike for sorting the Taunton MRG end of things.

I am not aware yet of any fixed arrangements for the sat evening meal having decided yet. Perhaps its time to try and get a show of hands so to speak of those whom will be attending a meal on the sat evening.

I can kick off me with me and the signal monkey St. Simon

Jerry

I am pretty certain the Sunday is going ahead with I am sure timings etc as per previous years, I have just sent a PM to Stu regarding some thoughts on catering, and I am sure he  / we will be aback along to this thread soon to firm things up a bit...

Good idea Muz - no doubt my host and I would be most happy with the Lethbridge on Saturday evening as it has served us pretty well in the past and is nice and convenient for when we finish down at the Taunton MRG's place plus several of them usually attend as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I think the Lethbridge Arms is a good suggestion, we have used it before (albeit under the previous management)  and was also a venue suggested earlier in the thread. http://www.thelethbridgearmspub.co.uk/index 

If those wishing to attend the Saturday evening can give an indication in this thread we can give a provisional number to the venue at the end of this week perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

I will keep this post updated as names are added in thread for the Saturday night meal

So far confirmed are:

Graham Muz
St Simon
Stationamaster + 1
Andy Y
Phil Parker
Phil-b259
MulgaBill + 1

Note: the updated version of this list has now been moved to the new event thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120694-swag-2017-lineup-details-catering-all-you-need-to-know/

• RMweb Premium

If those wishing to attend the Saturday evening can give an indication in this thread we can give a provisional number to the venue at the end of this week perhaps?

I plan on coming down on the Saturday and as such will be looking to join in with whatever meal arrangements are made.

Hi Mike

I think the Lethbridge Arms is a good suggestion, we have used it before (albeit under the previous management)  and was also a venue suggested earlier in the thread. http://www.thelethbridgearmspub.co.uk/index 

Please count Mr & Mrs MulgaBill in for food on Sat evening.

Thanks TONY

Archived