GBRF Fuelling Point

Georgie!!

I have slowly been working away with bits on the layout, but work keeps taking up most of the time. Since I started building the layout there never has been a proper fuelling point. Something like a pump or a little shed housing the pump has been placed on the layout, but I have never been happy with how they looked. So, after many weeks searching the internet I have come up with a little fuelling point. I have used the Knightwing kit as a base, then added some corrugated shape plastic sheets for walls around the canopy, protection for the fuellers. I have also removed the security fencing and replaced it with crash barriers. In between the track, in front of the fuelling point, I have fitted some square mesh. I found that most fuelling points have some sort of drainage/spillage for fuel and most use the square mesh type stuff. I managed to find a roll of anti slip stuff for rugs from Ikea that is perfect for the mesh.

There is still a lot to do before I can say the fuelling point area is complete. All the pumps are ready for painting as are the crash barriers and there are a few extra little details to also paint or plonk in position, but before any of that I need to add some fuel spillage in between the mesh. 

post-6787-0-47583500-1477224036_thumb.jpg

post-6787-0-02215200-1477224086_thumb.jpg 

The photos are a bit crude and show that there is still a fair amount of work still to do. Hopefully next update it will look much better.

Cheers, George.

• Like 7

This afternoon I did some more work on the fuelling point. I have painted the crash barriers, they just need a second coat, also, a few little details have been painted and glued into position. Hopefully it now looks a little better than earlier today:

post-6787-0-74381300-1477250305_thumb.jpg

Tonight I plan to paint a walkway for the drivers and begin painting the fuelling canopy and walls.

Cheers, George.

• Like 11

Hi George, layouts coming on great, super idea to put the mess on the fuelling point, will have to borrow that idea off you if thats ok for mine.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Thank you, Steve. Yes of course, its something I have spotted on a couple of photos on the Internet then spotted it also on the Aberdeen Kirkhill layout thread on this site. There work on the fuelling points is fantastic.   

Where did you get your crash barriers from George or are they scratchbuilt?

Cheers :)

The crash barriers are just a little kit from Noch. I think Gaugemaster do a kit also, here's a link for you: http://www.hattons.co.uk/128821/Gaugemaster_Controls_GM381_Roadside_Crash_Barriers/StockDetail.aspx

All the best, George.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick photo stop from me. 66709 'Sorrento' is preparing to leave the siding and 66738 'Huddersfield Town' is on the fuelling point.

I haven't had much time to do much to the layout these past couple of weeks, but its certainly looking like it needs a tidy up.

post-6787-0-94747800-1479043032_thumb.jpg

post-6787-0-93961800-1479043054_thumb.jpg

All the best, George.

• Like 8

On a rather dark and cold Saturday morning a new loco arrives to the fuelling point. Captured in a tiny bit of sunlight 66732 'GBRF the first decade 1999 - 2009 John Smith-MD' is seen waiting permission onto the fuelling point.

post-6787-0-09965700-1479550322_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid it is another class 66 and I'm afraid I have a few more to join the fleet. But, I do have plans for some other classes to add, this will be in the near future just waiting on the real thing and model manufactures.

All the best, George.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I have another loco update today, but for those who don't like class 66's, I'm sorry. The first loco is one I have wanted since it was released from the paint shop, is 66727. The nameplates are to be added, but they are not ready yet, so we will say its to have a naming ceremony yet. The loco is just awaiting permission to enter the fuelling point:

post-6787-0-51628800-1480857585_thumb.jpg

The next new loco is Royal Scotsman twin, 66743. Another loco I have wanted to go alongside with 66746. Here the loco is having a quick exam and fuelling up too:

post-6787-0-38837900-1480857691_thumb.jpg

I also have an update to do on the layout itself as I have changed a couple of areas around the layout. I will have to get some photos taken later on before it gets dark.

All the best, George

• Like 10

Thank you for the kind comments. To be honest I haven't yet seen the real 727, 743 and 746 either. 66703 seems to be the loco that follows me about.

I have seen photos of 743 on a few different workings, seems to be kept busy. Thanks for sharing the photo.

I was also wondering if anyone maybe of some help, I would like to take my layout to a exhibition, but I'm unsure as to how to get my layout noticed and/or invited? If anybody could be of help with advice please feel free to drop me a PM.

All the best, George.

• Like 1

Absolutely love the Maritime 66, did you do it yourself?

Also where are you getting the nameplates from please?

Chris

Hi Chris, I didn't paint the loco. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to painting locos I simply prefer to get them done by someone who knows what they are doing.

With regards to the nameplate I will have to get back to you on that. Thanks though for the comment.

Cheers, George

• Like 1

Who do your resprays and do you have sound in your 66s?

I get my locos done by Cairnsroadworks. I only have two locos with sound at the moment, but I will be adding more sound to locos once I have sorted my class 66 fleet, when I concentrate on other classes of locos.

Cheers, George

Layout update time this time. The main area I have begun re-working/tweaking was around the back corner of the layout near the road bridge. Something has always bothered me around that area, so I had to pull bits up and make little changes. The first thing to go was the Bachmann equipment hut. I had seen that Wills kits had brought out a equipment hut and it looked a good kit, so I got it and may I say it is a great little easy kit to build. Once painted up I plonked it on the layout in a similar position to where the Bachmann model was sat before but I have extended the road a little further back. Another little was the CCTV cameras also by Wills. These where simply painted up and placed between the yard lights. Some other bits of clutter have been added like the stack of pallets and cones. Also new to the layout is the warehouse backs used for the backscene. These still need painting up and detailing too before sticking in permanent position, they are just placed there at the moment. The only thing I'm thinking of adding here is some more security fencing, but around the green equipment hut with trackside workers working on site. Here is an up-to-date-ish photo of the area: 

post-6787-0-47489000-1480961086_thumb.jpg

Once I can more or less call this little area complete it will then be onto the next area, which is part of the backscene that runs along the back of most of the layout. More to follow soon.

All the best, George

• Like 7

I get my locos done by Cairnsroadworks. I only have two locos with sound at the moment, but I will be adding more sound to locos once I have sorted my class 66 fleet, when I concentrate on other classes of locos.

Cheers, George

How do you order from Cairnsroadworks if you don't mind me asking?

Chris