Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

• Tempfix

Mike the layout looks fantastic, looks more than finished to me - it looks real! Hope the show goes well, too far for me but would love to see it one day. And if it's any consolation to your misplaced mojo, it inspired me to go and tinker with mine this evening.

Good luck.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well D Day has arrived and I'm just about to pack the layout up and load it in to the van. Even though it's been a bit stressful juggling work and my personal life, I've been looking forward to this weekend for a long long time, November 2016 to be exact when Matt Taylor invited me, via Richard Johnson.

I'm past caring that it's not finished as nobody seems to mind, people seem to turn up to see what else I've done since the last exhibition and it's very encouraging. If you're off to Gaugemaster this weekend, please come and say hello. We're a little short on operators but we'll still find time to answer any questions or share our modelling experiences, especially James, who's created many masterpieces on Loftus Road.

Here's to a great FREE show  :good:  :good:  :good:

post-18825-0-00534500-1535706529_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-52444500-1535706535_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Mike

Best of luck for tomorrow. I know you often play down your skills but Oak Road is looking truly amazing. Your attention to detail and the level of realism is brilliant. I’m just gutted Ford is a bit too far for me.

Cheers

Finished or not, the layout is looking superb, Mike. I’ve managed to wangle a day off from work tomorrow, so I’ll be heading down to Ford for the show. It’ll be good to get a spot of retail therapy in, but Oak Road is definitely a big draw. I’m really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Hi Scoobyra,

Could I ask if the signal with the junction indicator in the background above is the for the bay platform? If it is, it should have a route indicator rather than a JI :)

Layout looks fantastic by the way, everything thing seems just right! Can't wait to see it some day (unfortunately I can't make it to Ford this weekend)

Simon

It was great to see Oak Road in the flesh yesterday. It really is a stunning achievement. It really caught my eye and kept my attention for ages - the more you look at it, the more detail you see. You have captured the essence of Castle Cary and the modern GWR brilliantly. I even spotted an all too realistic “mixed bag” GWR green and FGW blue HST rake sat in the fiddle yard. Shame it didn’t get to run while I was there! Any plans to run IETs now that the 802s have entered service on the real route?

Thanks for the offer of a chair after I had been stood gawping at your handywork for ages! I was meaning to say hello properly, but you got chatting to a friend and I had to run off for my train, so I’ll have to offer my congrats on here instead. Hopefully I’ll get to see the layout again soon.

• RMweb Gold

It was great to see Oak Road in the flesh yesterday. It really is a stunning achievement. It really caught my eye and kept my attention for ages - the more you look at it, the more detail you see. You have captured the essence of Castle Cary and the modern GWR brilliantly. I even spotted an all too realistic “mixed bag” GWR green and FGW blue HST rake sat in the fiddle

Thanks for the offer of a chair after I had been stood gawping at your handywork for ages! I was meaning to say hello properly, but you got chatting to a friend and I had to run off for my train, so I’ll have to offer my congrats on here instead. Hopefully I’ll get to see the layout again soon.

You’re welcome Mike and thanks for the kind words - the chair got offered to a few people that seemed to be standing around for ages!! I’m glad you liked it although I’m not sure it was the best type of layout for Gaugemaster due to it being a) English, and b) not really in keeping with their standard type of customer, however, the Gaugemaster team seemed really happy I took it along. It’s at Worthing at the end of the month if you want to pop down.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well what a tiring weekend this has been! I thought Gaugemaster was going to be a quiet affair but it turned out manic - with an estimated 3000 + people over two days. I thought we were in for an easy time this morning but it was like being at Waterloo during rush hour, it was relentless......what a great show.

I cannot thank the Gaugemaster team enough for their hospitality and an excellent ‘non exhibition’ show. Would I go again? Too right I would, even after being in a tent on an uneven car park, complete with kerb stones and open drains beneath the layout. The crowd was great, and even if it wasn’t to everyone’s taste, it still had a lot of people watching it, along with some people that appeared to be glued to it for hours on end.

BRM have asked me to keep in touch which was a nice surprise.

I must thank Scale Model Scenery for supplying some bits and pieces at massively short notice and Richard (Johnson) of DCC Concepts for giving me another Cobalt point motor free of charge to replace the one I appear to have glued up!!

I must also thank Dave who pushed himself to the limit to help keep things running and James Makin and Pete Holman for providing extra back up (even if Pete tried to take the tunnel out with his container train).

The final thank you has to go to the people who continue to follow my layout from venue to venue to see what progress I’ve made and to take hundreds of photos and videos - it makes the whole thing worth while.

Cheers
Mike

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scoobyra,

Could I ask if the signal with the junction indicator in the background above is the for the bay platform? If it is, it should have a route indicator rather than a JI :)

Layout looks fantastic by the way, everything thing seems just right! Can't wait to see it some day (unfortunately I can't make it to Ford this weekend)

Simon

Hi Simon

Cheers - it's getting there slowly.

Yes, the signal is for the bay platform but the western region has a lot of oddities and can use both RIs and JIs for the same thing. In fact, we still have feathers at Eastleigh on the down, but theater boxes on the up for some reason!

Mike

Hi Simon

Cheers - it's getting there slowly.

Yes, the signal is for the bay platform but the western region has a lot of oddities and can use both RIs and JIs for the same thing. In fact, we still have feathers at Eastleigh on the down, but theater boxes on the up for some reason!

Mike

There are loads of those kinds of oddities on the Western. At Swindon, JIs are used in the down direction, but theatre boxes are used in the up on platforms 1-3. Bristol Parkway is even more random. In the down direction, you can now be put into any of the four platforms. On platforms 1, 3 and 4, you’ll have a route indicator showing either F, A or T (Filton, Avonmouth or Tunnel), but on platform 2, the starter is fitted with junction indicators!

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to add these to the earlier Gaugemaster post..

...Oak Road complete with a curtain to tidy things up (excuse the use of drawing pins - temporary measure)....

post-18825-0-20139100-1535983640_thumb.jpg

And a shot through the station with all the lights in place...

post-18825-0-17434100-1535983644_thumb.jpg

After speaking to Ian (Temeraire) last night, I'm going to take his advice and make everything bomb proof before I do anything else to the layout. There's an issue where some rail has pulled out of the chairs on the down line right by the platform ramp, and the ski ramps at the right hand end need flattening. Then I need to make the crates a little more substantial to stop things getting broken and falling off!

There's also a need for a proper backscene but it's almost impossible to do given the Warehouse building and the Stone Mounds!

I thought this exhibition lark was going to be easy........ :O  :O  

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 15

• Tempfix

Looks brilliant. Quite feel your pain with exhibiting. I arrived at my first ever with Oxford Road and only having set up and stood behind a very tall layout I had only ever operated from the front did it occur to me that having a fiddle yard might be really handy!

Rich

Mike,

Looks great with the curtain attached. I am speaking with the back scene people about making up the back scene for Wessex Junction based on my Somerset panorama's. Could you not use these for Oak Road?

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 1