Models Hornby Could Make, but probably won't.

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Reading the Hammond books on Triang/Hornby , I was amazed that they did a prototype of a GWR "City of Truro".

If they had forged on ,we could now have had a slew of Western 4-4-0 derivatives which would have been fantastic.

Flowers , Bulldogs , Atbara's , etc.

Ain't gonna happen now

As Bachmann have done City of Truro, and the Dukedog, maybe it's their door you should be hammering on.........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

AS Hornby are doing the original Merchant Navy with full air smoothed body, I would propose they also do the original 1945-47 series of West Country pacifics with the narrow cab before the wedgie modification. Livery in full Malachite and Sunshine Southern. After all they have the current reasonable DCC/DCC chassis and at least one of the existing tenders is correct. Personally I would like to see the 1945 series 21c101-120 in all their original grandeur.

How about the Thompson A2/3? Has anyone ever done one? Don't think so...

That's another where Bachmann have the headstart deriving from the CAD's for their Peppercorn A2 and A1. They have already come a fair way down this road, as the A2 took major pieces unaltered from the A1. What with the A2 being a small class it's been already been surmised on past occasions that Bachmann may do this once they have pretty much churned all the available variations of the A2

How about the Thompson A2/3? Has anyone ever done one? Don't think so.....

I seem to recall that Bachmann had a look at Graeme King's Thompson conversions of their A2, which sort of reinforced their own view that it wasn't economically viable to produce a Thompson Pacific.

On a slightly different direction, but I feel still on topic, Hornby seem to me to be less inclined to produce preserved examples of the classes that they do make. Whilst wishlisting and frothing we always quote preservation as a good selling point year I can think of a fair few preserved engines not yet produced despite Hornby producing their class. I appreciate that Hornby have produced several preserved locomotives but there are some obvious omissions.

We're yet to see Q1 C1, K1 62005 or M7 30053 just off the top of my head. Have any of the J15s been the preserved example? I'm not sure any of Hornby's S15s are preserved. Not so perplexing with the better represented classes in preservation - black 5s/Bulleids etc, but Bachmann usually include a preserved flagship as part of their first release of a new class of locomotives.

They make good limited editions - we have seen NRM editions of Cheltenham for example, but no main range Repton or Stowe (though I appreciate Repton's tender would require tooling modification.)

I don't want to be seen as Hornby bashing here, I'm just musing over something I've noticed! I think there's still a chance for 62005, but not the other two that I have mentioned. Nor S15 847.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

I seem to recall that Bachmann had a look at Graeme King's Thompson conversions of their A2, which sort of reinforced their own view that it wasn't economically viable to produce a Thompson Pacific.

Mentioned on here before via Tony Wright perhaps?. Cannot see the logic in not doing them , for all the Thompson bashing they seem to be popular with many . The only missing LNER Pacifics. 

More Wessex Trains / FGW Local Lines / FGW Advertising liveries on the Class 153s?

And for those in the North of England, back 'building' a 155 from the 153?

I'd second the FGW local lines 153!

Wonder if Hornby will produce any of the Colas 60's?

Edited by Shoey
  • Like 1

Mentioned on here before via Tony Wright perhaps?. Cannot see the logic in not doing them , for all the Thompson bashing they seem to be popular with many . The only missing LNER Pacifics.

The decision not to make them means Graeme's earnings (such as they are) are safe.

• Like 1

On a slightly different direction, but I feel still on topic, Hornby seem to me to be less inclined to produce preserved examples of the classes that they do make. Whilst wishlisting and frothing we always quote preservation as a good selling point year I can think of a fair few preserved engines not yet produced despite Hornby producing their class. I appreciate that Hornby have produced several preserved locomotives but there are some obvious omissions.

In terms of the GWR, preserved locos are not faring too badly as Hornby have released the following over the last decade or so:

King George V*

Lode Star*

Caerphilly Castle*

Earl of Mount Edgcumbe

Pitchford Hall

Olton Hall

*Admittedly as overt special additions. 

Sorry for going off-topic, as I always seem to do on Tony's thread! Whoops. You know you've had a Monday at work when you've got the forum area totally wrong, let alone the thread; Mr Wright shall hopefully now remain obliviously on topic!

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

These:

The Edwardian era would be marvellous, and a great way to exercise the proven skills of Hornby designers and the paint technology in some recent RTR releases, such as the lining on many recent models, carriages with lining, and so on, from both main manufacturers...

I have a picture of a 1914 Urie  H15 class 4-6-0 which has taken some time to concoct, grass green boiler, cab and panels, purple-brown edging, black-white-black lining, and LSWR 486 wore this until 1921.   Remember the Bachmann SECR C class?   No money there eh?

edit; and especially all those LNWR steam engines,  George Vs, Claughtons,    no, we won't go there!  :) 

Edited by robmcg

In terms of the GWR, preserved locos are not faring too badly as Hornby have released the following over the last decade or so:

King George V*

Lode Star*

Caerphilly Castle*

Earl of Mount Edgcumbe

Pitchford Hall

Olton Hall

*Admittedly as overt special additions. 

Sorry for going off-topic, as I always seem to do on Tony's thread!

Cheers, 

CoY

Fair point CoY! I was just pointing out that there had also been a fair few omissions that I have a funny feeling won't be filled. I thought that they would produce all of the preserved locos that they possibly could, in a livery associated with their preservation careers - RMWeb certainly seems to think that they are money spinners.

A bit nit-picky but I would like to point out though that 3803 is in the correct livery but not with the tender it is paired with in preservation (didn't stop me buying it but will be looking for a replacement tender eventually). 5239 is in a particularly different condition when compared to the Hornby model - whilst I do have this model (a mistake if I'm honest), I don't see many casual railway modellers buying that model following riding behind the named locomotive in lined out green - now that is a model we won't see direct from Hornby!

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 1

As Bachmann have done City of Truro, and the Dukedog, maybe it's their door you should be hammering on.........

John

No hammering from me. Bachmann pricing keeping me out for the moment. Edited by lofty1966

I too find prices asked by Bachmann daunting....  Hornby also should it ever charge full RRP   (yes I'm a wally who bought a B17 a day before the Hattons sale began, well over £100  ouch)

Here in support of my theory that pre-grouping might sell well, is my rendition of the first H15 built by Urie in 2/1914, No.486 with Drummond 'grass' green livery, purple-brown edging and white-black-white lining, which it kept until 1921 when the LSWR decided it was a goods engine... 

Apologies for my inexpert painting, imagine if it was at the standard of, say, the current B1, or Bachmann's SECR C class!

post-7929-0-96124900-1462841037_thumb.jpg

typo edits

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

I also wonder how long it will be before the decision makers at Hornby (and Bachmann) realise what an untapped cave-of-goodies lies in the pre-grouping era. They seem obsessed with making sure that every loco they produce made it into the BR era thinking that is the only thing that will sell. If they ever do start making pre-grouping locos in a big way then hopefully they will also make the rolling stock to go with them. There is an opportunity to create a whole new class of modelling which at the moment is only covered by skilled model builders and painters. How many of us could paint a Dean Single with Indian Red underframes or line the appropriate coaches ?

Even many of the wagons in the pre-grouping era were quite different....red wagons for the GWR ?

How about a broad gauge GWR train set :) ?

Edited by brian777999
  • Like 1

To be fair, Hornby DO have the basis for a pre-grouping theme, for the GWR at least, with a nexus located around 1909. There's:

The Star class

The Dean Goods

The half-cab Panniers

The Achilles class

The recent clerestory coaches

Other manufacturers could contribute Moguls and Cities...

Additional classes like the "Barnum" 2-4-0 locos would be nice!

Whilst some models are less detailed than others, all that is needed is to provide the correct liveries (esp for the coaches) and then convince people that they want to model Edwardian England...

Hornby also have other models in their past that are purely pre-grouping, like their Caledonian pair, the Single and the Pug, plus the Terrier, though these don't form a coherent whole as the GWR types.

A different problem is of course, how far back to push pre-grouping.  Its probably safe to say that the late 1880s are probably as far back as you can go before the locos start looking odd, can't be used with later stock without raising eyebrows and are generally small and fragile.

As for the 50 Shades of Green problem, if Hornby developed a LNWR stud then that wouldn't be a problem, though I'm sure that even then there would be arguments of theological intensity about the correct shade of black and if it should be gloss, satin or matt...

• Like 1

I just had a thort......

Rather than new locos as such, perhaps Hornby could differentiate their high-end models by abandoning the 16.5mm gauge entirely.

I'm not advocating a hair-shirt embracement of P4, but a move to EM gauge might be a positive step, and would certainly draw a line between Railroad and the main range.  It can't be that difficult, its already possible to buy an RTR Class 24 with drop in OO, EM and P4 wheelsets at the equivalent of Hornby main-range pricing, so Hornby diesels could be made "convertible" at the factory without much effort whilst steam outline might involve changes in frame bushing and longer axels. I can't imagine convertible options for steam locos!  Drop in axel sets for goods and passenger rolling stock and a deal with Peco for EM points and flexitrack based on their new bullhead profile and the jobs done and dusted.

Anyone going for new main range models won't be put off by a change in gauge and Railroad (with an improvement in scope and levels of detail) might satisfy the OO traditionalists.

Hornby EM.  Its got a ring to it!  :senile:

• Like 2

Easy choices 

All still exist original or being or new rebuild at present time.

G5 J21 J27 Q7 

Others 

Sentinel rail car

WE NEED Claughtons, Experiments, Prince of Wales, George Vs, Precursors, Jumbos.  IN fact all the simple, effective engines that pulled the LNWR out of the mire of Webb Compounding and were ground down under the dead hand of Derby after the Grouping.

And how about some Caledonian locos to keep Scotland happy.  Apart from the Pug and the Caly single, there's nothing to represent this major pre-grouping company.  Some Dunalastairs and a Cardean might do the trick!

I could go along with the suggestion of a Great Bear, but how about those uglys, the Krugers?  We could have the 4-6-0 and 2-6-0 variants and how about their successors, the Aberdares?

Yep. Doesnt Happen Here!

Most or all of which have been available as kits for quite some time.

Whenever a new wish list kicks off it seems that a wide range of models are desperately needed. Those in need  or want of such models can't actually be that desperate or else they would have learned how to make up kits or got someone else to do it for them. Or, as is the case with some modellers who have posted on RMweb more recently, learned how to use 3D software and gone on to design and have printed their own models.

Any manufacturer reading these wish lists would surely go away totally confused by what people apparently need and how much they really want it. Given the rate of introduction of new RTR models and the leaning towards what will sell in volume to the collectors, then if you really want/need a model you should really consider having to make it for yourself.