The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jock67B's Cancer Ward (Cancer Support and Discussion Thread)

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hello guys, seems as tho' I've joined the club, was diagnosed with 'Multiple Myeloma' a couple of weeks ago, due for my first round of treatment tomorrow - hey-ho.

Welcome to "Jock's", Paul, and whilst the reason for being here is unenviable the welcome and best wishes are always warm.

There is no limit to our support here, for you and those close to you, and nothing is beyond the scope of discussion.  Most of us have personal experience of this condition on one form or another or otherwise we have been very close to the fact.

All the best as you set out on the long road.  You are not, and never will be, alone.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

As Rick has said above, there are quite a few of us who have been through what you are about to start. There are no stupid questions, so don’t be afraid to ask, either on here, or from the doctors dealing with you at the hospitals. I’m sure you’ll get several answers, particularly on this thread, as we’ve all had different experiences and treatments.

Hope all goes well.

Good luck,

Brian.

• Like 6

Well, went for my first 'Chemo' session yesterday, I wasn't as bad as I was expecting, given two jabs in the gut, and about a couple of dozen pills per day to take. Because I'm over 65 I can't have 'heavy' doses, but I got to say the staff at Dorchester hospital are excellent. And, having not stuck a syringe in my own body before, was shown how to do it at home, once a day at home, twice a week in hospital - a veritable pin-cushion. As someone who's not too happy inside a hospital( they always make me nervous), just gotta get used to it!!! Back again Thursday. :sungum:  

Another one for the list. Bladder cancer for me. Have been having treatment for four months now but, as yet, no radiotherapy or chemotherapy just immunological treatment. Some minor side effects but thankful for small mercies. Those who have suffered this or prostate issues will know that there is only ONE way in with attendant knock-kneed motion post-op. Excellent care so far and lovely nurses which can lead to issues in examination.

Edited by geoffers
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Geoff and best wishes. I sincerely hope the “issues” do not prevent the treatment being offered ;) .

I understand exactly what you mean. My late father was treated for prostate (and later bowel) cancer and I will admit that had it not been for the effects of treatment (swelling in a medically-controlled sense, more than anything) I too might have had similar issues every time the lovely ladies were on duty and manhandling the manhood prior to it receiving radiation.

The putting up with the after-effects of chemo, mixed with sciatica is more than a pain in the back-side, but very little or no modelling is getting done at present, which is really annoying when yer wanna get on with things, just cant concentrate enough ggrrr!!.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Premium

The putting up with the after-effects of chemo, mixed with sciatica is more than a pain in the back-side, but very little or no modelling is getting done at present, which is really annoying when yer wanna get on with things, just cant concentrate enough ggrrr!!.

Hi Paul

There is a thread on here, that I can't find the link to, by a guy called Mike Boucher.  The thread is called "Tales from the Treatment Room".  I details his own experiences with chemo and how he coped with it, and the boredom of the process when it was being administered.   It might well make interesting reading for you.   I wish you luck and hope that things go well for you.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Apparently its known as Chemobrain.

Ive been off chemo for 3 months

and I'm still struggling with it,

or should I say I'm still using it

as an excuse for lapses in concentration,

Apparently its known as Chemobrain.

Ive been off chemo for 3 months

and I'm still struggling with it ...

Chemo Brain is powerful stuff.  It's like the Baby Brain that a lot of new mothers get, but it's stronger and lasts longer.  That's why we had a tee shirt printed with "Sorry, I've got Chemo Brain" for Mrs Spikey :)

Just got home from a couple of days in Dorchester hospital cancer unit with a 'Spinal compression' scare (they are very careful!) which turned out false, it seems the Myeloma has taken over the old sciatica area - oh fun !!!??

I'm glad that they are looking after you.  I hope that your spritis are still up, remember that we are here for you.

Jamie

Thanks, yes I try to stay positive, and I'm pleased with all the encouragement I receive from all quarters. :sungum:

I do hate this 'chemo' milarkey, constantly tired, chocolate tastes like burnt toast, heads always in a spin, and I just want to get my latest project/layout finished, but can't----------------- ggggggrrrrrhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I know how frustrating the treatment regime can be. In my case it was radiation which has left lasting effects. But it has also meant that I am here to talk about it.

Many of us learn to adapt to what we can do or even take up something quite different. In my case it was the fatigue which treatment causes which caused me to be off work for an extended time. And while I slept for a great deal of that time I also found that I was quite good with weathering powders.

I am self-taught and much of the learning was during my treatment and recovery. The result is that I now have several bookings each year to present weathering workshops.

It’s a right b****r having this condition. But there is always something we CAN do rather than fretting about what we can’t.

Chin up and face the sun.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've just been (Nov 2018) diagnosed with kidney cancer, with some possible activity in my lungs that needs investigating. First meeting with the consultant is on Wednesday. 

In May 2011 my wife was diagnosed with stage 3b, type 3 Ovarian cancer, and passed away in April 2014. She had a tough 3 years, and my step daughters, granddaughter and I are still traumatised to some extent. Part of me is very matter of fact about the next steps and what I'm facing, but it is still scary.

My mum had a kidney tumour removed in 1991 and subsequently died of Lung cancer in 2006. So part of me is worrying about heredity links, genetic causes etc for my brothers and their children.

The step daughters are very supportive, more upset than I was when I got the call. I've not told my brothers or my dad, he's 95 in 2 days, the day of my appointment, dreading telling him the most, he relies on me a lot.

So, unsettling times.

Angus

Edited by AngusDe
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've just been (Nov 2018) diagnosed with kidney cancer, with some possible activity in my lungs that needs investigating. First meeting with the consultant is on Wednesday. 

In May 2011 my wife was diagnosed with stage 3b, type 3 Ovarian cancer, and passed away in April 2014. She had a tough 3 years, and my step daughters, granddaughter and I are still traumatised to some extent. Part of me is very matter of fact about the next steps and what I'm facing, but it is still scary.

My mum had a kidney tumour removed in 1991 and subsequently died of Lung cancer in 2006. So part of me is worrying about heredity links, genetic causes etc for my brothers and their children.

The step daughters are very supportive, more upset than I was when I got the call. I've not told my brothers or my dad, he's 95 in 2 days, the day of my appointment, dreading telling him the most, he relies on me a lot.

So, unsettling times.

Angus

Your late wife must have been quite a fighter. Deb was diagnosed with Stage 3a of ovarian cancer in July 2012 and was gone within 14 months. I hope that things for you turn out to be less than they seem, and you continue to be an RMwebber for many years to come.
  • Like 1

Sorry to read about your diagnosis, AngusDe. Which hospital is treating you? Remember that if you feel unhappy with your oncologist there's nothing to stop you asking to change practitoners. Cancer treatments are improving all the time, too.

My latest news is that my scan from August which showed some scar tissue on the outside of part of the bowel, was re-examined down in Basingstoke at the insistence of my oncologist here - good to have a second opinion! B'stoke are unsure if it is scarring or peritoneal disease (that's a cancer which spreads across the outside of the bowel and prevents the bowel's flexibility, so isn't a lump like many cancers). So I'm having a CT scan this Friday with the results hopefully before Christmas. If the dark area or scarring hasn't grown it's just scar tissue.

I'm very grateful to the NHS for doing this, but it's still a b*gger.

Mal