The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jock67B's Cancer Ward (Cancer Support and Discussion Thread)

Andrew P

• 1 month later...

At 06.43 on the 28th Feb my wife passed away after a long fight with cancer, she stayed at home with me and her cats.

I stayed with her to the very end and watched her slip away from this life, it was the hardest thing i have ever done caring for my dying wife,  and my best friend.

Goodbye my love. XXXXXXXXXX

EMMA HUTSON-POPE REES.

19TH MAY 1975-28TH OF FEB 2018.

• RMweb Gold

At 06.43 on the 28th Feb my wife passed away after a long fight with cancer, she stayed at home with me and her cats.

I stayed with her to the very end and watched her slip away from this life, it was the hardest thing i have ever done caring for my dying wife,  and my best friend.

EMMA HUTSON-POPE REES.

Sincere condolences, I doubt I could survive such a thing.

Rgds.....Mike

Edited by ikks

• RMweb Gold

More delightful news. Just found out I've also got emphysema  as well as cancer. 

So I suppose each will be competing to see who kills me first. Charming, I'm sure.

Allan

I am so very sorry to hear this Allan, I have always loved your inspirational modelling and sense of humour, I hope that your future and painlessness stay as long as possible. I too was a smoker for over 50 years, the last number of which were a 50 a day habit, I gave up in 2004 but still fear the possible consequences. All the best and good luck mate.

Rgds.Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Darren - our sincere condolences. However hard, it was the right decision for the two of you. Please be assured of our ongoing support here and via PM at any time.

More delightful news. Just found out I've also got emphysema  as well as cancer. 

So I suppose each will be competing to see who kills me first. Charming, I'm sure.

Allan

Allan, Really bad news, I do hope you can get all the support you need.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

EMMA HUTSON-POPE REES.

Sorry for your lose.

The NHS gets seriously ripped off by supply companies to the tune of millions a year if not billions.

When I left Basingstoke following my HIPEC op last month, they apologised for not being able to give me any paracetamol to take home. Apparently the NHS is charged considerably more by drugs companies for paracetamol than the same ones we can purchase in our local supermarkets for 2p each (30p for 16). I'm not complaining about buying my own paracetamol at all, just wonder why the NHS has got such a bad deal.

Mal

Been in and out of the hospital so much lately with my naughty lung tumor I'm thinking about having a penthouse built on top of the hospital.

Off to Hull tomorrow for initial 'Mark Up' then it's 10 sessions of Radiotherapy.

That should be fun...

Been in and out of the hospital so much lately with my naughty lung tumor I'm thinking about having a penthouse built on top of the hospital.

Off to Hull tomorrow for initial 'Mark Up' then it's 10 sessions of Radiotherapy.

That should be fun...

All the best for tomorrow the Allan, I hope it goes as best it can.

When I left Basingstoke following my HIPEC op last month, they apologised for not being able to give me any paracetamol to take home. Apparently the NHS is charged considerably more by drugs companies for paracetamol than the same ones we can purchase in our local supermarkets for 2p each (30p for 16). I'm not complaining about buying my own paracetamol at all, just wonder why the NHS has got such a bad deal.

Mal

Same everywhere, Mal.  Where company policies that provide to the NHS are concerned it's -

If the public is paying for it, double the price .After all, who's gonna know, who's gonna care?

• RMweb Premium

Same everywhere, Mal.  Where company policies that provide to the NHS are concerned it's -

If the public is paying for it, double the price .After all, who's gonna know, who's gonna care?

There was an item in the paper a few days ago about a woman who as a NHS manager was supplying goods and services to the NHS from a company that she and her husband operated. They had bought goods and services from a legitimate supplier and added up to 30% mark up. They were eventually caught and imprisoned. Now it has been discovered she was back again working for the NHS through an agency using a false name.

My histology has finally come through following my op four weeks ago. The op took 6 1/2 hours in total.

They removed a bowel cancer from the join of my previous operation in September 2015 - above this cancer on the outside of the bowel they found peritoneal cancer. They removed 7 lymph nodes in all and, good news, there was no sign of cancer cells in any of them.

They also discovered signet-ring cells in the removed cancer(s) which can be nasty, but they think they've dealt with them with the hot chemotherapy wash during the op.

There are also some tiny grain-like cancer cells called miliary disease that they also think should be dealt with by the hot chemotherapy was during the op.

Remember that none of this would have been found had I not mentioned HIPEC to my oncologist last September, who then referred me to Basingstoke. My oncologist's treatment of choice was palliative care.

I will still have to see my oncologist soon for post-op chemotherapy (which I'm not looking forward to) to deal with any remaining cancer cells, signet-ring cells and miliary.

Am improving every day following the op, feeling less tired, doing more exercises and eating more.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mal,

You have been through the mill.  Both SRCC and miliary disease are not nice but thank goodness you were referred to Basingstoke for HIPEC and no wonder your operation took so long.  Hope the chemo goes well - got to be better than palliative care at this time. 

Keep cheerful, Peter

• RMweb Premium

Mal

Back when I was an NHS manager, I got carpeted by a more senior manager (they were nearly ALL senior to me!) for buying office supplies from petty cash, not via central stores in Normanton.  The commodity in question (the one I got caught with anyway) was sellotape, sorry, self adhesive polypropylene tape as it was described, which was ten rolls for a quid down the high street.  I don't recall the NHS Stores price, but it was about ten times the amount.  A blazing argument ensued, which of course as a mere underling manager I lost, despite being 'right'.  It went something like 'if everyone did that then we would lose the bulk buying power' - to which my response was 'I don't see much evidence of it in office supplies'!  End result?  More creative accounting in my petty cash returns henceforth.  No wonder I walked out of that job a year later.

Hope your chemo goes OK Mal and Allan, and everyone else with this cruel disease - as the saying goes, live with it not suffer from it.

• RMweb Premium

It went something like 'if everyone did that then we would lose the bulk buying power'.....

- Which equals Senior Managers missing out on "perks" from suppliers.

Cynical? Moi?