The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jock67B's Cancer Ward (Cancer Support and Discussion Thread)

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

- Which equals Senior Managers missing out on "perks" from suppliers.

Cynical? Moi?

Only at Central Stores I suppose, not individual Trusts.  The only backhanders enticements  accidentally left items I ever saw were for locally sourced Estates contracts, not supplies, and they weren't anything really naughty.  The odd case of Whisky kind of thing.  The Central Stores thing used to really get my goat though, and I was also under a lot of pressure to reduce costs of course....so I did....my way!  I gave the NHS 19 years, they gave me chronic blood pressure and stress.

No long since I got back from Radiotherapy pre med - marking up under the scanner for treatment.

This started  at  9am this morning and I got home 8 plus hours later !

First of all they wanted to know who the heck I was since no appointment had been made.

Had an appointment been made, I would have had to have a blood test before anyone could dare make the next move anyway.

3 hours later after being wheeled about by a very fine  selection of nurses and dumped outside a very promising selection of  departments who might at least have been remotely interested in who I was and why I was there until one of them took pity , took a blood sample although vacant expressions and even more vacant stares suggested they didn't know exactly why - which they didn't and were only trying to be friendly.

After parting with my "Date of birth details and home address for the hundredth time, I was wheeled back to where it all begun but now guarded by Gestapo Lookalikes that blocked my way to the canteen, a sandwich and cup of coffee where I fell asleep for an hour only to be rudely awakened by a wandering nurse who then rambled something, moved me foreward a foot, then disappeared for ever.  Nobody knew who or why, and I wasn't about to ask.

However, the main idea behind my visit was actually completed in under ten minutes after which I was wheeled back to reception awaiting for a driver who was currently stuck on the Humber Bridge and who was new at the job and totally lost. So, in order to fill in my time whilst a search party was deployed,  I spent a small fortune trying to coax a can of coke and a bag of crisps out of a vending machine in spite of it being  embalmed inside and out in spiders webs and obviously nothing more than a money trap left there in order to exchange  absolutely nothing for as much money it could possibly convince you to depart with by instructing you to "Keep trying. Who knows. Next time you might get lucky "

Think I'll treat my own tumor. Now where's that Pecolube...

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only backhanders enticements  accidentally left items I ever saw were for locally sourced Estates contracts, not supplies, and they weren't anything really naughty.  The odd case of Whisky kind of thing.

Ahhh....but it's what you don't see that really matters....  ;)

3 hours later after being wheeled about by a very fine  selection of nurses ......

Every cloud has a silver lining......
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Allan,

Not exactly an inspiring day for you.  They say the NHS is short of money or is it that nobody wanted to take control and actually sort the day out for you thus giving you the type of patient experience that doesn't help.  Unless of course they're trying to make a point ...

Either way I hope now that the pre-med is sorted the rest will follow appropriately and quickly.

Cheers, Peter 

• RMweb Gold

Back when I was an NHS manager, I got carpeted by a more senior manager (they were nearly ALL senior to me!) for buying office supplies from petty cash, not via central stores in Normanton.  The commodity in question (the one I got caught with anyway) was sellotape, sorry, self adhesive polypropylene tape as it was described, which was ten rolls for a quid down the high street.  I don't recall the NHS Stores price, but it was about ten times the amount.  A blazing argument ensued, which of course as a mere underling manager I lost, despite being 'right'.  It went something like 'if everyone did that then we would lose the bulk buying power' - to which my response was 'I don't see much evidence of it in office supplies'!  End result?  More creative accounting in my petty cash returns henceforth.  No wonder I walked out of that job a year later.

Had a few like that in BR. My answer on one occasion was if I had waited for the Stores Contract stuff I would have stopped a commissioning which would have delayed the introduction of Channel Tunnel services. Got out of that one. Subsequently I had an arrangement with a local Office Supplies shop. I quite officially was able to hire office furniture and equipment for a temporary office through the system. What the system didn't know was that I had agreed with the supplier that as the hire cost was more than the retail value of the stuff he would write it off and not collect it. Win-Win-Win situation. I got the furniture for the job, he got his profit and I didn't have to worry about where I got it from for the next job. 

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

On the 27th of February my wife lost her fight with cancer, i was with her at home and stayed with her for the last 36 hours of her life.

She was amazing person and refused to give up her life, Even going out two days before she passed away to her favorite place one more time, I will never forget her and never stop loving her.

Her name was Emma Marie Hutson-pope-rees  19th May 1975-27th February 2018.

Sleep well my little one. xxxx 

post-6929-0-61560800-1522871462_thumb.jpg

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear that Darren and glad that you have shared that very moving part of your story with us here. We are all here to give what support we can to help you as you rebuild your life.

Jamie

As Jamie said, thanks for feeling you can share your story here with us. Remember the good times and it will ease the hard times, well that's what I was told after loosing my Farther, and it certainly helped.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear this, Darren, and at such a young age, too. Life can be very cruel. Nearly six years after I lost Deb, and despite being happily remarried, I can assure you that the memories will stay with you always, and in time become less painful, but also become somehow more golden, so you can truly appreciate the good times, which were no doubt many.

Thinking of you.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well it looks like I've qualified to join this thread.

I've been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

It all came about from the two yearly screening,

which those of you over 60 will be familiar with.

Something showed up, so had to go through

the pleasure of a colonoscopy.

That showed up a tumour between the terminus at

the appendix and the junction at the small intestine.

Had a CT scan which showed a couple of 'suspect areas',

one in the liver and one in the left lung.

Had a PET-CT scan yesterday, that's the one where

a radioactive die is pumped into you.

SWMBO didn't want me anywhere close to her last night, can't think why!

Today I'm having an MRI scan on the liver, with

more stuff pumped into me to show things up better.

Have to wait about 10 days while they

decide on a plan of action, but I've had

a pre-op appointment today for Monday week,

so looks like they're keen to get on with it.

They're a bit worried about the position of the tumour,

if it grows too much it could 'foul' the points

at the junction and block the line

The plan so far is, because there's also a suspect polyp halfway along the top of the colon, to remove the part of the colon where the tumour and polyp are, and join up what's left, leaving me with a semicolon!

I read through this thread last night, and as with most things on RMWeb, found it very helpful and supportive.

Brian

Edited by rab

• RMweb Premium

Well it looks like I've qualified to join this thread.

I've been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

It all came about from the two yearly screening,

which those of you over 60 will be familiar with.

Something showed up, so had to go through

the pleasure of a colonoscopy.

That showed up a tumour between the terminus at

the appendix and the junction at the small intestine.

Had a CT scan which showed a couple of 'suspect areas',

one in the liver and one in the left lung.

Had a PET-CT scan yesterday, that's the one where

a radioactive die is pumped into you.

SWMBO didn't want me anywhere close to her last night, can't think why!

Today I'm having an MRI scan on the liver, with

more stuff pumped into me to show things up better.

Have to wait about 10 days while they

decide on a plan of action, but I've had

a pre-op appointment today for Monday week,

so looks like they're keen to get on with it.

They're a bit worried about the position of the tumour,

if it grows too much it could 'foul' the points

at the junction and block the line

The plan so far is, because there's also a suspect polyp halfway along the top of the colon, to remove the part of the colon where the tumour and polyp are, and join up what's left, leaving me with a semicolon!

I read through this thread last night, and as with most things on RMWeb, found it very helpful and supportive.

Brian

I wish you all the best Brian and am glad that it's been found through the screening program.   Not a nice situation to be in but your sense of humour is obviously intact.  That can only be helpful.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Not a nice situation to be in but your sense of humour is obviously intact.  

Sorry to hear of your 'difficulties' but I must admit that I had to laugh at the thought of you fouling the points, blocking the line and ending up with a semicolon !!

Hope all goes well over the next few days and weeks - we all grumble about the NHS but where would we be without them - sounds like they are doing a thorough job

Mike

• Like 2

Good luck with it all, Brian.

I've often wondered what the take-up rate for the biennial poo test is. I suspect it won't be impressive, but does anyone happen to know the figure?

• RMweb Premium

Brian

I am sorry, in the nicest possible way, to welcome you to the Ward. Please be assured that our concern, support, comments and empathy are all absolutely genuine and mostly from first-hand experience.

For anyone who suspects they might have a problem - get it checked out

For everyone who is invited to take part in a screening - do it.

You have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain. A problem spotted early stands a greater chance of being fixed. I know that. And having watched my dad suffer death contributed significantly to by bowel cancer - and intentionally doing nothing about it - I shall be undergoing screening myself.

Please keep us in touch with you progress and feel free to lean on us for advice, support and friendship any time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian

I am sorry, in the nicest possible way, to welcome you to the Ward. Please be assured that our concern, support, comments and empathy are all absolutely genuine and mostly from first-hand experience.

For anyone who suspects they might have a problem - get it checked out

For everyone who is invited to take part in a screening - do it.

You have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain. A problem spotted early stands a greater chance of being fixed. I know that. And having watched my dad suffer death contributed significantly to by bowel cancer - and intentionally doing nothing about it - I shall be undergoing screening myself.

Please keep us in touch with you progress and feel free to lean on us for advice, support and friendship any time.

Thank you

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

A shock to you but the fact that the screening test picked it up means that treatment is on the way before it moves too far on.

As Gwiwer states it is more likely to be stopped than when a visit to the doctors some time later with a 'non descriptive pain' may mean that it has gone too far.

We are with you and trust that your forthcoming operation and further treatment is successful.

Good luck with it all, Brian.

I've often wondered what the take-up rate for the biennial poo test is. I suspect it won't be impressive, but does anyone happen to know the figure?

Not sure of the figure but NICE, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, is an executive non-departmental public body of the Department of Health in the UK which among other things either accepts or not as the case may be whether treatment is 'cost effective'.  

We used to do this test as a GP requested test some years back and it proved to be a good early detector thus people are now automatically given the opportunity to take part when they reach a certain age.  The fact that the bowel screening test, non-invasive and simple to carry out, is increasing indicates that it can give relatively early information of potential bowel problems.

Peter

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Brian

So sorry about your diagnosis, but it seems to me that you have a sense of humour. An early diagnosis is always a good thing and hopefully they will have caught it in time. As someone who’s been in a similar position (aggressive prostate cancer) I can say that it won’t do you any harm whatsoever. In fact it may well assist throughout your treatment.

If you don’t mind I will offer you a little bit of advice.

If/when you have radiotherapy drink lots of water, a couple of litres a day, it will help flush out dead cells. You may well find going to the toilet difficult as a result. They can give you pills to help and they do help, so don’t be afraid to ask for them.

If/when you have chemotherapy, again drink plenty of water, it will help hydrate your body and keep your veins supple. This will ensure that they can get the needle in easily, if you require chemo via a drip, as I did.

If you don’t already, try to do some exercise, gentle at first, swimming is a good one as it’s non impactive and the water supports the body.

All of the above worked for me.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Like 7

Brian,

Like the others, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I would echo what others have said about keeping positive and the humour. I am typing this while sitting in the chemo suite in West Cumberland Hospital getting my 4th session of chemo out of 6. The staff are wonderful and the morning so far has just been laughs all the way.

The early diagnosis also helps, as I was on watch and wait for 2 years before treatment, whereas my brother was not diagnosed early and passed away just before Christmas.

• RMweb Premium

Brian

So sorry about your diagnosis, but it seems to me that you have a sense of humour. An early diagnosis is always a good thing and hopefully they will have caught it in time. As someone who’s been in a similar position (aggressive prostate cancer) I can say that it won’t do you any harm whatsoever. In fact it may well assist throughout your treatment.

If you don’t mind I will offer you a little bit of advice.

If/when you have radiotherapy drink lots of water, a couple of litres a day, it will help flush out dead cells. You may well find going to the toilet difficult as a result. They can give you pills to help and they do help, so don’t be afraid to ask for them.

If/when you have chemotherapy, again drink plenty of water, it will help hydrate your body and keep your veins supple. This will ensure that they can get the needle in easily, if you require chemo via a drip, as I did.

If you don’t already, try to do some exercise, gentle at first, swimming is a good one as it’s non impactive and the water supports the body.

All of the above worked for me.

Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for the advice,

I'll keep it in mind.

• Like 6

Gosh, another sign of the times ...

Further to my earlier wondering what the take-up rate is for the biennial poo test, I just did the obvious and rang bowel cancer screening to ask if they could give us a clue.

"I'm afraid I can't give you that information." (Not in the sense don't know, but rather am not allowed to divulge.)

• RMweb Gold

Gosh, another sign of the times ...

Further to my earlier wondering what the take-up rate is for the biennial poo test, I just did the obvious and rang bowel cancer screening to ask if they could give us a clue.

"I'm afraid I can't give you that information." (Not in the sense don't know, but rather am not allowed to divulge.)

When the NHS finally gets the idea that people are paying customers not patients, and treats them as such, you may see less such stupidity. It will happen shortly after a snowfall in hell. I did the poo test here in France 18 months ago. It was a great deal less unpleasant than I'd imagined. 

• Like 4