RMweb

Golden Arrow Last Steam Run Train Pack R3400

miles73128

Very interesting....The Pullmans in this pack appear to have "U" type square windows...... Unless I'm wrong all previous super detail, Matchboard, Steel sided and all steel K have the classic elliptical toilet window. What were the differences between all steel K and 1951 U Pullmans? 

post-14423-0-14958800-1464975292_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed they are the U Type Pullmans. I have been in contact with Hornby via email and they have confirmed this. I believe there is other smaller differences but apart from the lavatory Windows I'm not 100% sure of them. Possibly the roof corners over the doors are continuous like the Brighton Belle cars, instead of the cut outs as per the other cars we have seen so far.

• Like 1

Yes indeed they are the U Type Pullmans. I have been in contact with Hornby via email and they have confirmed this. I believe there is other smaller differences but apart from the lavatory Windows I'm not 100% sure of them. Possibly the roof corners over the doors are continuous like the Brighton Belle cars, instead of the cut outs as per the other cars we have seen so far.

Sorry, but the vehicle illustrated above is not a 'U' type Pullman. It is an earlier car with the squared up toilet window - a conversion to 'match' the U-type cars. I think this was probably only done to provide a handful of Guard-parlour cars (Car 208, Minerva), there being no U-type brake vehicles. The U-type are distinctly different and there are two easy spotting differences -

The oval window in the doors is smaller than on the older cars and the eaves carry over the door.

The main windows are shallower so that there is a strip of cream paint below the window, between the bottom edge of the window and the top of the umber panel. On all other Pullmans, the bottom window edge meets the umber panel. 

In a guard parlour car, one vestibule was converted to provide a guards position with a brake valve. Outwardly, it was obvious by the replacement of the inward opening oval-window door with a plain door having a rectangular droplight, with the word GUARD below it.

Hornby may indeed be doing the U-type cars. I hope they are - I suggested them to SK on more occasions than I care to remember. But that is not what they have illustrated. They are the only cars really appropriate for use with the Class 71 and the only cars to carry the blue/grey livery. Indeed one (Aquila, I believe) carried the reversed blue/grey until the powers that be decided it looked awful, threw the Corporate Image rulebook out of the window and came up with their own version of Rail blue and grey, and their own font much to the disgust of at least one member of the BR Design Panel. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed they are the U Type Pullmans. I have been in contact with Hornby via email and they have confirmed this. I believe there is other smaller differences but apart from the lavatory Windows I'm not 100% sure of them. Possibly the roof corners over the doors are continuous like the Brighton Belle cars, instead of the cut outs as per the other cars we have seen so far

Not sure if the Pullmans included in this set would be considered U type Pullmans.  From the Web I see that Hornby is including cars 34, 36 and Minerva. These were wooden K type Pullmans (built in the 20's) modified in 1951 to look the like the new U type Pullmans with the new square windows etc.

Note - I would like to be wrong here and find out that Hornby is doing the U type Pullmans!

Edit - I see I am too slow typing!

Rob

Edited by 30851

• RMweb Premium

As I said, Hornby have confirmed to me via email that they are producing U-Type Pullmans for this pack. I am aware that the vehicles shown on their website, and above, are the standard ones with a square lavatory window. In a previous thread, the email from Hornby was posted.

• RMweb Premium

Here is the email from Hornby

I have just had an email reply to my query about the Pullman car types in the pack.

"Dear Mr Scott,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your email, I have had a word with the Hornby team and can confirm

the images on our website are incorrect.

I have just seen the box art work for R3400 and it shows the correct Square window for the Toilet and correct

doorways and will be the U type when produced.

I will try and get the correct images put up on the website in the mean time.

Yours Sincerely

Simon Watkins

Customer Care"

• Like 4

As I said, Hornby have confirmed to me via email that they are producing U-Type Pullmans for this pack. I am aware that the vehicles shown on their website, and above, are the standard ones with a square lavatory window. In a previous thread, the email from Hornby was posted.

I think the fact that they have chosen three modified K types puts paid to any imminent release of 1951 U types. The modified K's were often wrongly referred to as U's and I think the Hornby Customer Care person just perpetuated Hornby's description error.

Edited by Forester

The only thing really annoying about this train pack is that they have chosen Minerva again. I already have that twice in other guises. One as a match wood style, the other as later VSOE with round toilet windows. Out of the big list to choose from, could they not have picked another coach for a change?

It is nice to see some numbered 3rd parlours but still no brakes.

• 1 month later...

I too am thinking of lashing out for this collection, but which Hornby Pullmans should I buy when I want to extend the train?  Also, the Pullmans in the set seem to be fitted with the correct arrows and GA nameplates, where can one get duplicates to fit to new carriages?   Finally, I have been looking on Websites etc for a book on the GA, esüecially one dealingh with the stock used post-war but cant't find ne anywhere - are there any written on this subject?

I too am thinking of lashing out for this collection, but which Hornby Pullmans should I buy when I want to extend the train?  Also, the Pullmans in the set seem to be fitted with the correct arrows and GA nameplates, where can one get duplicates to fit to new carriages?   Finally, I have been looking on Websites etc for a book on the GA, esüecially one dealingh with the stock used post-war but cant't find ne anywhere - are there any written on this subject?

Sadly you cannot accurately extend the train unless and until someone produces the proper U type Pullmans rather than the modified K types in this pack.

No-one has done the definitive Golden Arrow book yet. There are one or two moderately useful books but none I would really recommend. It would make a good subject for Antony Ford's Pullman series.

The loco side of the operation needs looking at from a whole new direction as there is much misinformation and misidentification out there. Excellent subject for somebody.

• 6 months later...

Hornby now showing Golden Arrow Last Steam Run Train Pack R3400 arrival on 10/3/17.

Wonder how well this will sell? 

There have been several Golden Arrow sets containing earlier Pullmans. These rebuilt Pullmans could be popular but the pack is expensive.

I'm tempted just because I want the West Country. I'm worried so I wait till someone splits it up like they did with the Winston Churchill pack but then it might sell out b4 that or do I buy the set and sell the Pullmans on. Decisions decisions

Big james

• RMweb Premium

I'm tempted just because I want the West Country. I'm worried so I wait till someone splits it up like they did with the Winston Churchill pack but then it might sell out b4 that or do I buy the set and sell the Pullmans on. Decisions decisions

Big james

If you do end up going down the selling off the Pullmans route I'd be happy to buy them off you. I want the pullmans but have no interest in the loco.

• RMweb Gold

Big james

Rebuilt Bulleids dont seem to hang around. If you want it and you have the money I'd say buy the set then sell on the Pullmans. 

• RMweb Gold

After reading the comments I think I will buy the set. I think the only reason the Winston Churchill set hasn't sold as well as the locomotive was made a few years ago. Appledore has never been done yet by Hornby.

Big james

IMHO it is equally due to the revamped ex-Triang baggage car masquerading as the casket transport. Not best value,really.

• RMweb Gold

Just got an email that BR 4-6-2 '603 Squadron' '34077' Battle of Britain Class - Rebuilt is due for delivery to me today, so I guess this set can't be far away.

These rebuilt light pacifics are very fine models indeed.Among the best of r-t-r currently available.

• RMweb Gold

Rebuilt Bulleids dont seem to hang around. If you want it and you have the money I'd say buy the set then sell on the Pullmans. 

Am I right to think that these Pullmans are 'new' - they are marketed as U type Pullmans by Hornby and on their website they have the rectangular toilet windows - like the 'Orion' preserved at Beer? I think all the ones produced by Hornby so far have the oval windows, happy to be corrected.

All the best

Godfrey

PS Clearly I need to read back through the thread before posting! Many thanks to Dibber, Hilux and Shroomy for the correction. At least the photo of Orion, if Mr Pritchard had it painted correctly, shows the points that Dibber raises above.

post-138-0-21703200-1486554204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godfrey Glyn