Hi folks,

Ive put the platform temporarily on hold for a bit, until Ive got September out of the way. Reason is, its SWMBO's 40th birthday, and funds are being diverted to cover that. Once Ive got that out of the way, I will invest in station and yard lights.

Until then I have a billion and one more jobs to do that will keep me occupied!

I had a delivery on Friday of a Bachmann type 15 signalbox - I like the look of it, and compare it in similarity to Water Orton East Jn box.

Ive been going to Water Orton for the best part of 30 years, this is the only shot I have of it:

attachicon.gifwater orton box.jpg

I have broken out the ballast again today and decided to fill in the large gap between the up and down main and the 'branch'. Luckily I had just enough to cover what was a pretty big area. The ballast I used was a lot finer than my N gauge granite chippings that Ive used for the trackwork.

I also made a pathway leading to the signalbox steps that emanates from a yet to be decided upon area at the top left hand portion of the layout (The bare patch behind the signalbox at the rear). I was originally thinking of some kind of P-way yard but Im having second thoughts because it seems they're quite popular at the moment, and I want to stay away from Popular.

Im in two minds as to represent the box burnt out. not sure yet......

Anyhoo, here are a few pics from todays session:

attachicon.gif60 1.jpg

attachicon.gif60 2.jpg

attachicon.gif60 3.jpg

attachicon.gif60 4.jpg

attachicon.gif60 and 31.jpg

attachicon.gif08661.jpg

attachicon.gifdoggies.jpg

attachicon.giflong view 1.jpg

attachicon.gifview a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Trev :)

really nice job detailing looks great and love the dogfish wagons the weathering looks very real .they look hardworked.

Were you based at rugby yard, Trev ?

I used to try and poke my head over the fence there when I visited the gunsmiths down the lane

Hey Rob

No mate sadly Im not a railwayman, (all my mates are drivers, signalmen and MSO's (Multi skilled operatives)

Im a design engineer by trade in the Construction Industry. Boring as hell but it pays the bills!

Cheers

• Like 1

So tonight I was spurred on by some negative comments Ive had regarding the layout.

I have started to erect a fence along the path to the signal box, and have test fitted some sea moss that Marcus suggested, and the results are as follows.

This is nowhere near finished or in its final form. I know theres a lot of ballast, but it won't stay like this.

post-7156-0-51925900-1471906460_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-72044200-1471906489_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-77398700-1471906508_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-41167000-1471906528_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-61921500-1471906546_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-33908200-1471906562_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• Like 13

Looks great with those seamoss trees :paint:  :locomotive:

realy brings the layout to life..

Thanks Neil,

Im using one of my local locations for inspiration (on a few levels):

post-7156-0-38307300-1471932942.jpg

Ive got quite a lot of messing about to do still, as most people can appreciate, its the smaller areas where the time is spent creating the individual dioramas.

Cheers for your comments  :good:

• Like 7

doing great work mate sea moss looks very good .

Thank you matey. I hope it looks OK and not as if its been "plonked" somewhere with no thought as to how its arranged......Like I say its only a test fitting, but Im aware of how fragile it is. I think I need to see how Marcus managed with his..  :good:

Looking good Trev.

I'm sure I've said it before but the weathering on your locos is cracking. The rain/dirt runs on the Loadhaul 37 is brilliant.

Cheers

Cheers Sam,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have to do some bits again on the 37, particularly the pipework and the buffers, (oh and it needs an EWS maroon & gold door too like the original rust box!) I have to fit coupling bars too. (and get a sound chip) £££££££££££ yay!!!

That signal box and the tress g Ves the layout a whole new dimension! Looking really good there mate!

Thank you Sir!

That moss stuff is pretty awesome and I think Im going to get some more. It was fairly cheap too.

Those trees look great

David

Thank you David! Its getting there slowly..... :D

Cheers all! 

Thanks for taking the time to look.

• Like 1

That's nice, makes me think of Autumn.

I'm not decided about sound yet - I had a 66 with it and after a while of ticking away I wanted to chick it out the window !

Also I'm not sure that without any further ambient sounds it seems isolated

That's nice, makes me think of Autumn.

I'm not decided about sound yet - I had a 66 with it and after a while of ticking away I wanted to chick it out the window !

Also I'm not sure that without any further ambient sounds it seems isolated

That's kinda what I'm after - green grass but brownish trees.

I have thought about getting some kind of sound track with twitting birds and background noise to avoid just that!

Cheers

Where were you? I'd combed my hair and had a shave especially. HaHaHa!!

P.S Great work on the layout by the way. Love the work round the signal box area.

Slight change of plan! After a few hours of standing on my steps at Whitacre, I decided to hotfoot it over to Water Orton where I could get out of the hot sun!

I did manage to catch this working though!

post-7156-0-33313000-1472416037.jpg

Thanks for the kind words on the signalbox :)

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 4

Ah, you were trying to catch me out. So good job I did have a shave then...... :D

Sorry yeah!  you did look smart haha!

Well no 37's and a day full of sheds...........

I did manage a nip up to Portway and a 60 on the empties back to Lyndsey, phew!

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

Im using one of my local locations for inspiration (on a few levels):

attachicon.gif24632323234_b15387bc5a_z.jpg

Ive got quite a lot of messing about to do still, as most people can appreciate, its the smaller areas where the time is spent creating the individual dioramas.

Cheers for your comments  :good:

Funny enough ive been there in the past with mate of mine from Brummy...