I'm determined not to use the tried and trusted (and perfectly acceptable) Hornby plastic buffer stop.

Here is a real one at Margam, however as this is on the W*stern R*gion, and as such is eternally banished from the ex-LNWR/LMS BR (M) territory of my garage!  :nono:  :nono:  :mosking:  :mosking:

attachicon.gif5574030772_555f3c4b70_b.jpg

Having hunted about for a bit, I found some whitemetal ex LMS items from Parkside Dundas which were suitable for my location.

Only after I had unpacked it, did it realise  it was suitable for mounting at the end of the track, as opposed to onto it. Doh.

I had to think of a way round this issue, so carved out the ballast I had laid last week, and proceeded to install said item, integrating it as best as I could with the existing track. I made it slightly wonky to simulate if it had been the victim of an over-zealous shunting incident.....

Once dry i painted it and re packed the ballast to suit.

I will weather it tonight in an effort to make it look a tad more convincing.

Cheers for now 

Trev :)

Great little detail the buffer stop looks very good its something i never thought about allways just brought the off the shelf peco version but will look into something like this it just looks finer and loads more real .

Yeah why not!?! Sectorisation then the big split was a big part of the freight scene, and theres not enough coverage of this era (IMO) :derisive:

Totally agree with you Trev. Probably one of the most colourful periods going. Especially just after EWS took over and the odd EW&S loco started to appear. This is the era I want to concentrate on mainly with PDW although it will go up to the present day now and again so I can run some of my later stock.

Must say I do like your new buffer stop. I might go for those in the Quarry area when I make a start on it.

Cheers

Marcus

Totally agree with you Trev. Probably one of the most colourful periods going. Especially just after EWS took over and the odd EW&S loco started to appear. This is the era I want to concentrate on mainly with PDW although it will go up to the present day now and again so I can run some of my later stock.

Must say I do like your new buffer stop. I might go for those in the Quarry area when I make a start on it.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks matey.

For me its the time when I took up photography seriously, trying to record as much as I could particularly towards the late nineties, early 2000's as proper locomotives and stock were disappearing faster  than Lewis Hamiltons brake lights!

I can recommend these bufferstops, particularly the ex LMS or MR style ones (that would suit PDW's heritage!)

Ta for your support and kind comments

Is that the naughty engine that bent the buffer stop ?

Hopefully I'll be cracking on with 37516 in September - that'll complete my tractor needs for now.

I'll be need ing more 56s and 60s for the next plank

• Like 1

Is that the naughty engine that bent the buffer stop ?

Hopefully I'll be cracking on with 37516 in September - that'll complete my tractor needs for now.

I'll be need ing more 56s and 60s for the next plank

Sure is!

It happened when they tried to multi 692 and 698. there were "complications" as one went one way and the second went another! (happened with a pair of 66's allegedly!!). resulting in 692 making contact with the buffer stop. no one saw it, and no one was form oned!

The trouble is your talking minimum of £100 for a loco now, plus the cost of a sound chip. 

It all adds up.  :scared:  :scared:  :yes:

Cheers

• Like 2

I had an epiphany and remembered Pete Harvey's brass bufferstops. These are slightly more up to date than the ex LMS one I fitted earlier in the week. I'll give him a shout I think...

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=25_28_66

I want to add an element of what i dub "old survivors" and think the LMS buffer stops fit into this bracket nicely. These will also nicely compliment Dan Lawrences' excellent bufferstops I had made for the station area.

I also want to mix things up a bit - we can all be guilty of convenience :)

ive just placed an order with Neil Mason for some more bits and bobs.

He's done me some cracking deals recently and I would recommend people give him a try : http://thelittlelayoutcompany.co.uk/

Cheers Neil!  :good:

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

Im on the lookout for a rigid 8 x 8 or 6 x 6 flat bed lorry, possibly with a hiab for transporting wheelsets to and from the WRD.

Do any manufacturers make something suitable in 1:76? or do you have to compromise?

thanks

After a distinctly pants Monday at work, a few hours in the garage was called for.

Having had a delivery of ballast, a Noch Grassmaster and various bits of scenic stuff from Neil Mason of the Little Layout Co on Saturday, work commenced tonight in a beer/tequila assisted frenzy! Sort of. Not really a frenzy morelike a plod......

post-7156-0-09645400-1470695262_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-66421600-1470695316_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-97089200-1470695366_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-69109900-1470695417_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-30975100-1470695446_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 9

More great work pal the railfreight red stripe 31 looks amazing pal you have some first class motive power .

Thanks very much. Even though its a Lima one, I do like it. I have another superb Lima one that i purchased years back, ill try and photograph that later.

I am determined to hard wire these Lima models, as they are just as capable as the later models, its just that they lack lights and sound........

Cheers for the kind words, they are very much appreciated.

• Like 1

You are producing a great showcase for your fleet !

Keep it up, let us know how you get on with the grass master

Thank you Rob!

To be honest I have too much stuff and I forget that I have certain items.

I will do, I am in the process of laying some trunking and a final shoulder of ballast along the viewing side (the view that the above photos are taken from), then I will give it a whirl. (I might unleash the beast (ha ha!) tonight and get cracking with grassing.)

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Cheers

• Like 1

Here is a high level view, showing the work i did last night, together with a birds eye view over the station throat with a test fitting of the dummy point motor...

post-7156-0-13738000-1470724199_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 4

What a great layout, bang on the "other" modelling era I do. I grew up when Transrail, Loadhall and Mainline were in full flow.

As people have mentioned before, it appears you have a great selection of rolling stock.

Do you have a list of what you've got?

What a great layout, bang on the "other" modelling era I do. I grew up when Transrail, Loadhall and Mainline were in full flow.

As people have mentioned before, it appears you have a great selection of rolling stock.

Do you have a list of what you've got?

Thank you, much appreciated.

I remember going to what I believe to be the launch of sectorisation" at Ripple Lane on 17th October 1987. 

Then there was the never to be repeated epic open day at Bescot on 6th May 1990 which saw locos grouped together in their respective liveries after the later departure to Loadhaul, Transrail, Mainline etc.

I'm pretty sure sectorisation carried on until around 1993/1994.

I am not a huge fan of the EWS saga, in particular the Post Ed Burkhardt era which for me signalled the end of railfreight and the deliberate run down of heritage traction as we knew it. (in particular 58's and 60's and wrong oil in 37's....)........  :fool:    :banghead:

Of course there is the sentimental rose tinted spectacle view of enthusiasts,disgusted at losing our favourite loco's,  versus the cold hard scenario of an organisation trying to make a profit out of 50 year old locos and failing miserably due to unavailability and failures, but as an enthusiast and modeller, I want to use my modellers licence to replicate the glory days of hugely variable trafffic, mixed loco liveries, filth, clag, and ultimately thrash which is what we lived for.

Here's a few of my pictures showing the thing that floats my dinghy: (unashamedly all tractors)

post-7156-0-69276100-1470744695_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-12629300-1470745140_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-74127100-1470745304_thumb.jpg

I will try and put together a list of stock! please bear with me!

Cheers

Trev   :good:

Edited by big T
  • Like 6