104 looks fab pal like the work you have done to the trackwork . :sungum:

Thank you! I really appreciate your comment as it makes the hours worth it! :danced:  :danced: :derisive:  

Ive been and picked up some more ballast today so guess what ill be doing tomorrow!! :yes:

Cheers

Trev :D

Hi Trev

Trackwork's looking really good now mate. Starting to make the layout come alive. Have to echo other peoples comments about 104. Very nice indeed.

Cheers

Marcus

Thank you matey very much appreciated.

Ive been ballasting like a loon this afternoon.

Ill post a couple of pics in a bit

Nice track work !

That's an unusual 37 - didn't even know they did one in those markings ! You live and learn

Cheers Rob,

Not many locos got the "General" sector symbols, 37104 was one, others from memory were 86602, 50149, 60010 and 33063.

cheers

Trev :)

Blimey mate. You have been busy. Did you pinch that train load of ballast I left in Bescot yard on Friday night. LOL.

Looks really good now.

Haha!! Cheers mate.

Yea nipped up the vq and grabbed a few bags!

Thank you. I find ballasting theraputic.

Well apart from when it gets in the crossover blades!!

Its getting there. Im still not happy with the colours and the airbrush will definitely make another appearance!!

Cheers

Trev ☺☺

• Like 2

Thanks Trev the buffer stops will look great on the layout

They look the business don't they?!  :yes:

A bit more ballast and some added muck and general station debris and I think they will quite convincing.

More nice work here Trev..

thanks neil.

cheers matey. Still a long way to go! 

I think it will make a huge difference when I put the backboards on.

Cheers

I've tried to vary the look of the ballast for different areas by using different grades and types.

Mostly I have used Javis N gauge granite chippings, shifting to using finer particles in the yard areas and to infill larger gaps where there will be grass, bushes and shrubs etc. (Saves wasting the good stuff!).

A little bit more progress was made last night, and I managed to ballast the back couple of roads, leaving gaps for a future hardstanding, which will tail off to a small access road which will be used for loading and unloading of supplies for the WRD, culminating in a wall/gate assembly running across the bottom end of the far roads. (This will provide a scenic break between the edge of the board and the backboard.

I also managed to fit a small hut which will be either an old store or yard office. this will benefit from further detailing and maybe lighting in the future.

post-7156-0-75854500-1470120082_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-46946600-1470120095_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-16800900-1470120110_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-83881100-1470120124_thumb.jpg

The top three pics show the progress made and the last one is me having a play!

Cheers

• Like 9

looking pretty good so far, will only get better from now on. Regards the RF general markings on locos, didn't 60010 only carry them for its publicity photos in the Railfreight callender.

Thank you!

I remember the shot of 010 on the bridge at Sheerness. I think 37104 ran with it as im sure ive seen pics of it withdrawn at Tinsley.

I spent an hour or so in the garage last night and had a good tidy up, putting all my tools back in their rightful places, and boxing up stuff I don't really need out at the moment. I think it does you good to have a tidy now and again!

I then did a little more ballasting, and am seriously in need of some more. (Does anyone know a model shop local to Tamworth that stocks the Javis N gauge grantite chippings please?!!) A local shop for local people haha!  :sarcastic:

I've also painted some bare wood in a sort of earthy colour (a bit too terracotta for my liking) to provide a basecoat for the areas requiring static grass. I think i will mix some darker shades up tonight and airbrush the terracotta away.....!

Then I got my 150 out and had a bit of a mini session for half an hour on the dry bits.

I need to be thinking ahead in terms of:

• Signalling
  • point control (wire in tube)  can't be bothered with point motors!
  • Backscene
  • Platform surface
  • Lighting 
  • smoke generation
  • static grass
  • Bridge providing the scenic break twixt layout and fiddle yard
  • Fiddle yard
  • L.E.D's and lighting pelmet.
  • perspex for viewing side (anti tamper device and to stop stuff falling off should the worst happen...)

post-7156-0-38391300-1470206594_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-25927700-1470206609_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

(Does anyone know a model shop local to Tamworth that stocks the Javis N gauge grantite chippings please?!!) A local shop for local people haha!  :sarcastic:

Hi Trev

Your layout is progressing well.

Might be worth giving Hobbyrail in Sutton Coldfield Market a call (Number from UK Model Shop - 07981757023). Haven't been in for a while so don't recall if they stock Jarvis.

Cheers

Hi Trev

Your layout is progressing well.

Might be worth giving Hobbyrail in Sutton Coldfield Market a call (Number from UK Model Shop - 07981757023). Haven't been in for a while so don't recall if they stock Jarvis.

Cheers

Hi Sam,

Cheers, its progressing now, but my pictures are still naff lol!

Thank you for your help mate, very much appreciated I will give them a try.

Trev  :good:  :good:

Edited by big T

Looking good !

Maybe we should start a Mainline/ loadhaul/ transrail speciality section ??!

Yeah why not!?! Sectorisation then the big split was a big part of the freight scene, and theres not enough coverage of this era (IMO) :derisive:

• Like 1

Ballasting looks good Trev :paint:

I use Geo scenic n gauge ballast on banks road.

Thank you Neil! Ive tried to vary the ballast slightly between different types and areas.

I've not heard of Geo scenic mate is it any good? (as good as ballasts can get!)

I took the plunge yesterday and ordered some more of the Javis stuff from Neil Mason. I want it to look the same on certain roads.

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm determined not to use the tried and trusted (and perfectly acceptable) Hornby plastic buffer stop.

Here is a real one at Margam, however as this is on the W*stern R*gion, and as such is eternally banished from the ex-LNWR/LMS BR (M) territory of my garage!  :nono:  :nono:  :mosking:  :mosking:

post-7156-0-17702700-1470293440_thumb.jpg

Having hunted about for a bit, I found some whitemetal ex LMS items from Parkside Dundas which were suitable for my location.

Only after I had unpacked it, did it realise  it was suitable for mounting at the end of the track, as opposed to onto it. Doh.

I had to think of a way round this issue, so carved out the ballast I had laid last week, and proceeded to install said item, integrating it as best as I could with the existing track. I made it slightly wonky to simulate if it had been the victim of an over-zealous shunting incident.....

Once dry i painted it and re packed the ballast to suit.

I will weather it tonight in an effort to make it look a tad more convincing.

Cheers for now 

post-7156-0-16637900-1470293208_thumb.jpg

Edited by big T
  • Like 12