Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

Yes, I saw at least one 3TC in blue/grey too. I would have been very young at the time and recall being somewhat baffled by seeing a 3-car EMU when I thought all of that general type were 4-car.

Last all-blue ones were repainted by 1971 and the 3TC units were not strengthened until 1974.

Here is a late survivor in blue in 1970:

5408664508_d4578bdcbb_z.jpg4TC_420_413_Wimbledon_22-5-70 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

What's the yellow panel above the cab side window - guessing destination board but a bit small ?

• RMweb Premium

What's the yellow panel above the cab side window - guessing destination board but a bit small ?

Yellow line - denoting first class driver's cab.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

(That's what too much cheap Rhodean plonk does to your brain)!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I believe it's a destination board.

Correct.

The tradition of placing a destination slipboard on the carriage side was continued onto the Bournemouth line stock.  These had Waterloo on one side and those on the Rep units had Bournemouth on the other while those on the TC units as far as I remember showed Weymouth.  However given that normally only one 4TC continued to Weymouth while the other remained coupled to the Rep at Bournemouth there may well have been two versions of which one showed Bournemouth / Weymouth and the other Waterloo with something else or possibly a blank.  Either way a nice little detail for the modeller to add to the blue units.  They didn't survive too long into b/g days.

On the subject of tables in the 4TC DTSO coaches my attention has been drawn to original drawings which showed the units were not fitted with full sized tables as converted / built.  They did however regularly run with some of the clip-in ones fitted and not (as in the Rep) for service of meals but for the general convenience of passengers.  Multiple sources have stated to me they remember 4TC units with full-sized tables present which accords with my memory of them.

In terms of the models I will happily accept them "as is" being a compromise and possibly the result of scanning a unit more recently fitted throughout with tables.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the passengers enjoyed a lively ride with a 3TC+3REP+ED... that's a good power to weight ratio

Griff

I quote from Wikipedia:

In extreme cases, to keep services running, 4-REPs had a motor coach replaced by a Class 73 locomotive.

Is this what is going on here? If so, it's not such a good power-to-weight ratio.

• RMweb Premium

As the 4Rep traction motors were required for the then-new class 442 5Wes units there was a shortage of Reps during the conversion phase.  Some temporary formations were used (some extremely temporary lasting only a few days and many lasting only weeks or months) which included the replacement of a 4Rep motor coach with a class 73.  

This had a detrimental effect on the power: weight ratio and such workings were restricted, on paper at least, to 8-car formations on the fast services.  The semi-fast trains had some very tight point-to-point timings which required full power whereas once the fast was under way it could usually cope with fewer horses and keep something like scheduled time.

The train shown in the image displays headcode 91 which is a fast.  The TC unit is numbered 8102 which makes it one of the six class 438/1 units nominally classified 4TCT (Trailer Control Trolley), with modifications for accommodating a refreshment trolley in lieu of a Rep catering coach.  As formations changed very frequently, almost daily, one must be careful jumping to conclusions but it may be that the TFK is missing pending full conversion and is not yet included, or has been removed already for scrapping.  I believe 8102 also saw service as a 4TCB with a Rep buffet car in place of the TFK so perhaps this is in service between one formation and the other.

As the 4Rep traction motors were required for the then-new class 442 5Wes units there was a shortage of Reps during the conversion phase.  Some temporary formations were used (some extremely temporary lasting only a few days and many lasting only weeks or months) which included the replacement of a 4Rep motor coach with a class 73.  

This had a detrimental effect on the power: weight ratio and such workings were restricted, on paper at least, to 8-car formations on the fast services.  The semi-fast trains had some very tight point-to-point timings which required full power whereas once the fast was under way it could usually cope with fewer horses and keep something like scheduled time.

I thought the class 73s were directly equivalent in power to a 4 REP DM coach. Nominally they were 1650 hp continuous on third rail, while a half a REP unit would be (again nominally) half of 3,300 hp, i.e. 1650 hp.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I believe it's a destination board.

The boards were made of 5 ply plywood painted yellow, with the destinations printed black on yellow adhesive plastic film fixed to the board.

Here is the Bournemouth/Waterloo version from a Rep.

post-414-0-82499700-1505121886_thumb.jpg

They didn't survive too long into b/g days.

They survived a reasonable time into b/g days.  My recollection from living and spotting around Bournemouth during the 70s is that they were still in use until around 1974.

I don't have a precise date for their use being discontinued, but I would suggest it would have been with the introduction of the second batch of Reps (3012-3015) and TC conversions in 1974.  From new these later builds probably didn't have the brackets to hold the boards, and they were removed from the original build Reps and TCs as they subsequently passed through BREL Eastleigh Works. 

Edited by 4630
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just been doing some testing with the model.  I run my layout with RR&Co automation so I was keen to find out how the unit performed with occupancy detection.  With the older Bachmann models, such as the 2-EPB and 4-CEP, just placing an unpowered trailer coach on the track triggers the detector due to the way the lighting circuits are wired.

This does not happen with the 4-TC with just a trailer coach on its own, but it does however do so if the trailer coach is connected to the TBSK where the decoder is. That's fine for my purposes: it means when the unit is being propelled the detector will be triggered as soon as the leading coach enters the block.

Given that the inter-coach connectors are 4-pole that led me to do another test. Do all coaches pickup track current and feed back to the TBSK's decoder, something the 4-CEP doesn't do with only 2-pole connectors? Yes is the answer: as long as all 4 coaches are connected up correctly you only need a single bogie live to the track to have all lighting and head codes on throughout the unit. This is a big improvement on the 4-CEP in addition to the 4-TCs much improved lighting that is consistent throughout the unit. Literally puts my 4-CEPs in the shade!

Hopefully the forthcoming 4-BEP will be wired the same way.

• Like 1

A 73 and a REP motor coach were near enough the same power, they also had the same bogies and traction motors, just different suspension springs.

The power to weight ratio would be worse though as the 73 will weigh considerably more.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

410 arrived today, and I set it up with 416 to run as 8TC pushed by 33102. Apart from stopping in the reverse loop, meaning I had to set the dual frog juicer to 4 amps on both circuits, it ran beautifully. I am impressed.

• RMweb Gold

My NSE version (as well as the RTC version) arrived today. Just got the NSE version out and fitted a Bachmann 36-557 21-pin decoder and placed it on the track amongst some new Polish friends and got the headcodes working:

post-586-0-46828900-1505929223.jpg

Not sussed out where you find the interior lights but does not seem to be on F1. Will hopefully sort that out later. First impressions are good especially the dark blue finish which matches the loco currently pushing the unit:

post-586-0-70958900-1505929555.jpg

which turned out to be Haymarket which, unbeknown to the powers that be, got fitted with the SR multiple unit wiring.....

post-586-0-16830200-1505929717.jpg

If Haymarket can get to push the NSE set then 97201 is off for a quick visit to Stewarts Lane to be wired up for MU running with the RTC set......

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 6