RMweb

Grindleford Station Hope Valley Line 1960s BR - Station Café build

Alister_G

• RMweb Premium

I've not seen those SEF stone sheets before; they look pretty decent although possibly slightly too much relief on the stones for buildings, where (at least round here) the stone blocks are a bit more dressed. With them being vacuum formed, I wonder how much they could be sanded back to give a flatter and more dressed appearance?

I did so to a Wills sheet with positive results but given the time to do so and then hide the joins, came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort but SEF sheets are much larger. I may buy a few SEF ones and try it out as at some point, I have a raft of new buildings I want to tackle.

Nice work by the way Al. The way the weathering has taken gives them the look of buildings where the crap has washed / crumbled off the stones in that rather odd random way that you see quite often. I sometimes think my weathering was too uniform.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know, that pipe is annoying.

When I was photographing Bakewell, it wasn't such an issue, as it was above eye-line and I could manage to avoid it, but because Grindleford is perched above Bakewell, it's a lot nearer the ceiling, and that bloody pipe!

Same problem with the lights, they keep getting in the way.

Funny to think that 038 is still busy working, 30 years after it wore banger blue.

Al.

With my professional head on;

If that pipe is going to let go anywhere it will be on those translation, joints, when is another question, but it will. I'd wrap them in Denso tape or the equivalent of, just to be on the safe side.

You don't want to be accused of being a sh!t modeller!!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I've not seen those SEF stone sheets before; they look pretty decent although possibly slightly too much relief on the stones for buildings, where (at least round here) the stone blocks are a bit more dressed. With them being vacuum formed, I wonder how much they could be sanded back to give a flatter and more dressed appearance?

I did so to a Wills sheet with positive results but given the time to do so and then hide the joins, came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort but SEF sheets are much larger. I may buy a few SEF ones and try it out as at some point, I have a raft of new buildings I want to tackle.

Nice work by the way Al. The way the weathering has taken gives them the look of buildings where the crap has washed / crumbled off the stones in that rather odd random way that you see quite often. I sometimes think my weathering was too uniform.

Thanks very much Jason,.

Yes,. I'm quite pleased I came across these SEF sheets,. for one thing they are bigger than the Slaters' sheets, so for larger buildings they are great, and of course massively better than Wills tiny sheets.,

They are if anything a thinner sheet than the Slaters' so I'm  not sure that they would take much sanding back, but in truth the relief is not that bad,. it's nowhere near as much as the Slaters' 7mm dressed stone I used on the bridge and tunnel portal, and it is (to my mind) much more representative of the stone used in the prototype.

For buildings round here I always felt the Slaters' 4mm dressed stone was too flat and uniform, and this of course makes weathering it convincingly much harder, as you would have to introduce the random look on each stone by hand, with this SEF I really didn't have to try as the relief causes the paint to flow in that way.

EDIT: Just to save you searching, the sheet I used is South Eastern Finecast FBS417 4mm Embossed Plasticard Dressed Stone Blocks.

Cheers mate,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sound in the 47 is very nice!

The terraced houses are coming along very nicely and very quickly! Look forward to seeing them completed.

All the best,

Peter

Thanks very much Peter, nice to have you along.

Al.

• Like 1

This evening, I've been doing some serious testing!

Yes... testing... not playing... :nono:  No, definitely testing... :senile:

I received my Class47 sound chip today, so I installed it in the loco, and TESTED it, OK!

:D

This is the first time I've ever fitted a DCC Sound chip, so I was quite proud of myself, although I know it's not a big deal, really.

Bachmann make it very easy, really, on the Class47.

Remove 21-pin blanking plate, plug in 21-pin Decoder. See? Easy!

Here it is installed:

attachicon.gifgrindleford-sound-loco002.jpg

What do you mean, I've missed a bit?

Oh, the speaker box thingy... Well I just cut it off and threw that bit away, I didn't need it, did I?

Actually, The speaker enclosure that came with the chip was too big to fit in the loco, however, Bachmann very kindly supply one in the box, so I just had to swap the speaker into Bachmann's enclosure, and then it slotted nicely into the hole they left in the chassis:

attachicon.gifgrindleford-sound-loco003.jpg

Yes, that's it there, under all the wires...

No big deal though, I just had to unscrew the main circuit board, and the contact plate for the lights, and move aside all the spaghetti, and the speaker dropped in nicely.

Then I could shove it all back together again with the speaker in place.

The carpet monster claimed one of the tiny screws holding the contact plate in position, despite my best efforts to be careful, no doubt I'll find it next time I walk into the kitchen in bare feet!

Never mind though, it all went back together easily enough.

So I set up my NCE PowerCab controller on some Code75 track, and set up the loco a bit, and then had a play  did lots of testing.

And here's the proof! My first bit of video on Grindleford.

Short but sweet!

I'm very happy with the sound on this loco, and I'm sure I will spend lots of time TESTING!

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Al some friendly advice, ditch that god awful speaker and try fitting n iphone 6 speaker in it's place. yes I know I keep banging on about this but the improvement is really worth it (trust me )

This evening, I've been doing some serious testing!

Yes... testing... not playing... :nono:  No, definitely testing... :senile:

I received my Class47 sound chip today, so I installed it in the loco, and TESTED it, OK!

This is the first time I've ever fitted a DCC Sound chip, so I was quite proud of myself, although I know it's not a big deal, really.

Bachmann make it very easy, really, on the Class47.

Remove 21-pin blanking plate, plug in 21-pin Decoder. See? Easy!

Here it is installed:

attachicon.gifgrindleford-sound-loco002.jpg

What do you mean, I've missed a bit?

Oh, the speaker box thingy... Well I just cut it off and threw that bit away, I didn't need it, did I?

Actually, The speaker enclosure that came with the chip was too big to fit in the loco, however, Bachmann very kindly supply one in the box, so I just had to swap the speaker into Bachmann's enclosure, and then it slotted nicely into the hole they left in the chassis:

attachicon.gifgrindleford-sound-loco003.jpg

Yes, that's it there, under all the wires...

No big deal though, I just had to unscrew the main circuit board, and the contact plate for the lights, and move aside all the spaghetti, and the speaker dropped in nicely.

Then I could shove it all back together again with the speaker in place.

The carpet monster claimed one of the tiny screws holding the contact plate in position, despite my best efforts to be careful, no doubt I'll find it next time I walk into the kitchen in bare feet!

Never mind though, it all went back together easily enough.

So I set up my NCE PowerCab controller on some Code75 track, and set up the loco a bit, and then had a play  did lots of testing.

And here's the proof! My first bit of video on Grindleford.

Short but sweet!

I'm very happy with the sound on this loco, and I'm sure I will spend lots of time TESTING!

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Al some friendly advice, ditch that god awful speaker and try fitting an iphone 6 speaker in it's place. yes I know I keep banging on about this but the improvement is really worth it (trust me )

• RMweb Premium

Try Charlie at dc kits ...or Ebay

But - is it me or do we have action before the sound of the engine revving up in the iphone 6 speaker demo?Seems we have a lot of diesels moving before the enginese are doing anything to make them move??

Baz

Stop press - the Grindleford station cafe no longer has a plethora of handwritten rude notices telling the customers off. But the coffee was still tinned instant when we dropped in on Sunday after clambering down Padley Gorge on a path that wasn't there.

That stonework in post 672 is looking good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stop press - the Grindleford station cafe no longer has a plethora of handwritten rude notices telling the customers off. But the coffee was still tinned instant when we dropped in on Sunday after clambering down Padley Gorge on a path that wasn't there.

That stonework in post 672 is looking good.

Does that mean a change of ownership, I wonder, or just the present owner has been magically transformed into a happy fairy?

Al.

• Like 1

Cheers Simon, I'll take a look at that, thanks. Such good advice you did it twice :D

Where do you get the speakers from, an auction site beginning with "E"?

Al.

I'm not sure why it posted twice although I was at work watching the sparse strike day service go past the window

Try Charlie at dc kits ...or Ebay

But - is it me or do we have action before the sound of the engine revving up in the iphone 6 speaker demo?Seems we have a lot of diesels moving before the enginese are doing anything to make them move??

Baz

It's a Legomanbiffo 47 chip in my own before and after clip, all I've down is wire in the iphone speaker

• RMweb Gold

I said I'd leave the terrace until I could see how it looked in daylight.

Unfortunately, as I'm currently going to work in the dark, and coming home in the dark, this was easier said than done.

However, today I'm working from home, so this morning I took some photos.

The first three were in dull cloudy conditions, but to my surprise we actually got some sunshine later, so the next three are in sunny conditions:

post-17302-0-20717600-1481720229_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-52763600-1481720231_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-75254900-1481720233_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-67129400-1481720235_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-48457000-1481720237_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-57099800-1481720239_thumb.jpg

Last night I spent a fair bit of time drawing up a cutting sheet for the windows and doors for the terrace:

post-17302-0-86686300-1481720354_thumb.jpg

I also cut a full sheet of slates, and today, I've been multitasking... tiling the waiting room and writing email monitoring software at the same time :)

post-17302-0-63643100-1481720356_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-60770800-1481720358_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-30554300-1481720360_thumb.jpg

More this evening,

Al.

• Like 4

The terrace looks superb outdoors, such a change with the different sun light conditions.  Really effective and your stonework painting has really lifted out the relief of the plastic sheet.

Can't wait till you add the windows and doors.

What sort of interior detail level are you going to go for?