C&L Finescale

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I've flagged this thread up for a possible merger with 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127088-ordering-from-cl/page-9&do=findComment&comment=3022352

or closing with a re-direction.

Better to have all the info in one place.

Edit  - Looks like Andy has closed/deleted the old thread now to avoid confusion across 2 threads.

Edited by chris p bacon

Spoke with Phil today and he says he is catching up on the backlog of orders, he hopes to have caught up fully in the next two to 3 weeks.

It seems he has suffered a few hickups in the past few months, the latest being no access to on line banking for a week. Still the less we bother him the quicker he can turn things around. Learning the hard way about both retailing and being self employed

This seems to be the only thread discussing the C&L or Exactoscale ranges that's anywhere near up to date and where someone might have a clue what's actually happening to the non-track products - in particular rolling stock components that are "NOT currently availalbe (as of 11th Dec 2017)" ................ I've run out of something as basic as three-link-coupling links and don't want to have to a) make my own - 'cos I know I can't make them consistently in quantity or b) adopt an inferior product : even though there's an otherwise well-respected new entrant in the market, their links look to be over-length and under-nourished like all others currently available ( to my knowledge ) .............................. any thoughts ?

Speaking to the new owner at Warley last year, he said that the C&W wheels would be back eventually; that the loco wheels were off indefinitely "for re-engineering"; that the sprung wagon-chassis were not coming back; and that other products might come back "if they sell". How he finds out that something would sell if he isn't selling it is unclear (yes, I can think of umpteen ways to test, but I don't know which he might consider).

If 20+ people wrote and said. I would buy about x of such a product per year provided that the price is not above £y, then that might inspire him? 

Given that the eBay cost of Exactoscale C&W wheels recently has been about twice the old, list price, perhaps we the community could make a case for those?

I read somewhere that the coupling links can't be made at the old price as the supplier won't do that any more.

PS: the historic sales of the C&W wheels were lower than they might have been because old C&L stopped selling the special back-to-back gauges needed to put them together right. Those  pricey items need to come back first if the wheels are to sell well.

Edited by Guy Rixon

Speaking to the new owner at Warley last year, he said that the C&W wheels would be back eventually; that the loco wheels were off indefinitely "for re-engineering"; that the sprung wagon-chassis were not coming back; and that other products might come back "if they sell". How he finds out that something would sell if he isn't selling it is unclear (yes, I can think of umpteen ways to test, but I don't know which he might consider).

If 20+ people wrote and said. I would buy about x of such a product per year provided that the price is not above £y, then that might inspire him? 

Given that the eBay cost of Exactoscale C&W wheels recently has been about twice the old, list price, perhaps we the community could make a case for those?

I read somewhere that the coupling links can't be made at the old price as the supplier won't do that any more.

PS: the historic sales of the C&W wheels were lower than they might have been because old C&L stopped selling the special back-to-back gauges needed to put them together right. Those  pricey items need to come back first if the wheels are to sell well.

Well, maybe I should write in twenty times saying I want seventy five coupling links ? - that should just about suffice for all those wagon kits I've go stashed away for my retirement !!?! 

There is no need of a special BB gauge to assemble the C&W wheelsets, any of the available L shape BB gauges (EG Alan Gibson) will do.

The expensive exactoscale ones were more for the Loco wheelsets.

Regards

There has been a meeting between the interested parties of Exactoscale products, speaking with Phil a limited range of wheels and some of the other best selling items are hoped to be reintroduced in the future. At the moment getting the track stocks back up and running and satisfying customer orders is the short term priority, work is in hand though when time and funds allow to reintroduce a limited range of non track parts, it will be the best sellers only 

Given that the eBay cost of Exactoscale C&W wheels recently has been about twice the old, list price, perhaps we the community could make a case

Unless it’s a well established shop I would hesitate to hold up eBay sellers as a yardstick of what the buying public will tolerate. There’s a lot of scalpers on eBay that think nothing of 100+% markups, but they cater only to the desperate and mugs.

Unless it’s a well established shop I would hesitate to hold up eBay sellers as a yardstick of what the buying public will tolerate. There’s a lot of scalpers on eBay that think nothing of 100+% markups, but they cater only to the desperate and mugs.

Agree, the first item goes on eBay and sells for quite a lot, people then see what is in their spares/parts box is worth money and the market place gets a few more listed which sell for far less money.

Other loco wheels are available.

Yebbut. We get into discussions about how to stop the rims falling off, how to take the rims off in order to true the centres up, how to make a drilling jig to get the crankpins right, or "How long?".

The Nim.

Yebbut. We get into discussions about how to stop the rims falling off, how to take the rims off in order to true the centres up, how to make a drilling jig to get the crankpins right, or "How long?"..

When you reach old age, you'll look back fondly on all of this and say "These were the days of our lives...."

The cost of the Exactoscale driving wheels, the need for expensive assembly tools, P4 only and the limited range meant that they weren't adopted by many modellers. In fact, I don't recall anyone I know using them.

The C&W wheels are a different matter and are used by many more modellers that I meet as they are more reliable and realistic than the alternatives.

The cost of the Exactoscale driving wheels, the need for expensive assembly tools, P4 only and the limited range meant that they weren't adopted by many modellers. In fact, I don't recall anyone I know using them.

The C&W wheels are a different matter and are used by many more modellers that I meet as they are more reliable and realistic than the alternatives.

Not too certain about the driving wheels, but they are in Phil's thoughts, but certainly the wagon and coach wheels are quite high on Phil's agenda. 

This was an auction, with (IIRC) a starting price below the old C&L list. The seller got his 100% mark-up because that was how the market valued the product.  I was not the only one bidding.

Yes, I was fairly desperate. I have a train to finish with suspension that only works with these wheels.

This was an auction, with (IIRC) a starting price below the old C&L list. The seller got his 100% mark-up because that was how the market valued the product.

That's different (IMO). I was referring to those who buy limited stocks, add 100+% to the RRP and stick them on the eBay.

This was an auction, with (IIRC) a starting price below the old C&L list. The seller got his 100% mark-up because that was how the market valued the product.  I was not the only one bidding.

Yes, I was fairly desperate. I have a train to finish with suspension that only works with these wheels.

The one that surprised me most amongst the recent Exactoscale eBay frenzy was the bloke who shelled out - get this - thirty quid for a small packet of 10 Exactoscale axles. That's £3 per axle. Even Ultrascale don't charge that much. That.....is madness.