It is amazing how a modern commercial model stands up to such cruel close up photography. Well done!

Tim T

Thanks Tim, it does amaze me that aside from the odd distortion issue caused by the tiny lens, a modern cheap phone camera can take such close up photos, which years ago would have needed some pretty serious photography gear.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

• 3 weeks later...

I have now received most of the parts needed to make a start on the Class 303 EMU, courtesy of Replica Railways. As well as their powered chassis I added three plain Mk.1 underframe mouldings which have the advantage of having the trussing but nothing else, plus the correct wheelbase, which will save a lot of cutting/modifying of Triang chassis. The full length stepboards will be removed (apart possibly from under doors if the height is correct). Two will be used for the driving cars, the third I am hoping to modify to fit the powered chassis for the centre car as it is very similar in most respects to that fitted as standard.

The other parts obtained were a set of MLV underframe gubbins (some may be useful for the 303 centre power car), Door handrails and 3 SO interiors.

Not sure how quickly this will all take shape as I have a few other projects (mainly wagon kits) and some jobs on "Crinan" to complete too.

post-28743-0-35365700-1533155305_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-31078700-1533155335_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After a relaxing week's holiday I decided to ease myself back into some sort of modelling by making a start on the DC Kits class 303.

I am starting slowly, firstly by looking at the Driving Trailer Second bogies. I was originally thinking of using RTR LNER bogies but those have standard rectangular coach oil axleboxes where the 303's use slightly lower profile round roller bearing axleboxes, as per the DC Kits parts. As moulded the axleboxes are a little shallow - images show those on the real thing stick out slightly proud of the bogie sides.

A quick check showed that fitting standard 2mm flanged brass bearings to the DC bogie sides as supplied would lead to the bogie being too wide, so the axleboxes were carefully drilled right through with a 2mm drill bit, and opened out slightly from the inside for the flange with a 3.5mm bit. This will hopefully make the bearings look a bit more 3D once painted.

More cleaning up is necessary before assembling the bogies, and I'm hoping to add a few details such as brake shoes in line with the wheels etc, if I can find some good close-up photos.

Not a lot to show yet, but its a start.

post-28743-0-64672500-1533998292_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-26970600-1533998326_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

One of local interest for you, How about a 303 unit at bagillt

bagillt303emu.jpg

(I’ve been reliably informed in the past it’s not actually a 303 but something very similar!)

Well that's a new one on me Jim, wasn't aware of that movement! Any info on when it was, etc?

Many thanks for posting!

Martyn.

Will be following this with interest. Hope Tim managed to sort you some detail shorts and bits, I got him a good look round the one at Bo'ness a few years ago.

Hi, thanks for the comment, I have PM'd Tim but not heard back from him as yet.

• RMweb Gold

Well that's a new one on me Jim, wasn't aware of that movement! Any info on when it was, etc?

Many thanks for posting!

Martyn.

My dad captured it while driving along the coast road in i recon about 1987-1988, I believe some were stored in the shed at the Jn for a short time

correct  it was most definitely a 303-  The increasing availability of units and a general reduction in timetable frequency led to a surplus of units in the Glasgow area in the early 1980s.  This permitted the reallocation of several Class 303s sets to the London Midland Region from 1981 onwards.  This was initially to provide cover for class 310s which were experiencing braking problems then  to replace elderly class 504 EMUs on the Manchester to Glossop and Hadfield services when these routes were converted to 25kV AC.  Initially allocated to Crewe Electric Depot, then to Longsight from 1985, the units could be found on various routes including the Manchester to Crewe line where they were tested back in 1960/61.  It was also not unknown for class 303s to work class 1 duties on the West Coast Main Line and both 303048 and 303066 are recorded as having worked Crewe - Carlisle relief services in 1984 and 1985.  From December 1984 onwards these units were painted in Greater Manchester PTE orange and brown (very similar to the Strathclyde colours), but it wasn't long before the units became unreliable and most units had been withdrawn or stored by May 1990.  303066 and 303049 even had the the dubious distinction of visiting North Wales, being stored at Llandudno Junction Shed in 1990.  Only three units returned north, the celebrity 303048 in July 1989 and 303060/082 following a period of storage in May 1992, neither of the latter two units return to service, and languished at  Yoker and Shields Road depots.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

The first pair of bogies are largely complete. The centre bolsters are slightly lower than they should be to avoid being obvious above the bogie sideframes, which necessitated removing the longitudinal strengtheners which would foul the Hornby axles.

The tension lock mount was left on the inner bogie to mount a bar coupling as per the 126 cars.

I have also started to prepare the Replica chassis for mounting the bogies.

post-28743-0-64614300-1534027836_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-62303300-1534027919_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-40109900-1534028009_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

correct it was most definitely a 303

Thinking about it the thing I was told i got wrong when I originally posted the pic on here a good 10 years back was the livery, I stated it was Strathclyde orange whereas it’s actually GMPTE

Thinking about it the thing I was told i got wrong when I originally posted the pic on here a good 10 years back was the livery, I stated it was Strathclyde orange whereas it’s actually GMPTE

The liveries were remarkably similar, here is the two together at Shields Depot (apologies for quality, it was shot from the window of 305519 on the "Coast to Coast" Railtour)

25155310237_1e16181112_c.jpg

Jim

• Like 2

The 2 basic rolling Driving Trailer car chassis are ready for detailing. Solebar ride height is about the same as an old Triang Mk.1 that was a handy comparison.

However the Replica motorised chassis sits a good 1-2mm higher, presumably to allow for wheel clearance under the solebars.

As noted earlier the plain plastic coach chassis are very similar to the motorised plastic screw-on false chassis so when this is swapped I will look at lowering it slightly relative to the original position in order to achieve a consistent ride height. Could be a tad fiddly, but where is the fun in it being simple, ahem! :jester:

post-28743-0-30713700-1534108351_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-03226600-1534108384_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-04112300-1534108420_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The 2 basic rolling Driving Trailer car chassis are ready for detailing. Solebar ride height is about the same as an old Triang Mk.1 that was a handy comparison.

However the Replica motorised chassis sits a good 1-2mm higher, presumably to allow for wheel clearance under the solebars.

As noted earlier the plain plastic coach chassis are very similar to the motorised plastic screw-on false chassis so when this is swapped I will look at lowering it slightly relative to the original position in order to achieve a consistent ride height. Could be a tad fiddly, but where is the fun in it being simple, ahem! :jester:

Gareth of Replica has done a lot of modifications to the chassis to fit a large variety of units and locos, he might have some suggestions for you if you email Replica. He usually has everything from a 2HAP to a Networker and 456, as well as a 33 and HST power car converted to use the chassis.

Gareth of Replica has done a lot of modifications to the chassis to fit a large variety of units and locos, he might have some suggestions for you if you email Replica. He usually has everything from a 2HAP to a Networker and 456, as well as a 33 and HST power car converted to use the chassis.

Hi Kelly, thanks for the tip, was going to drop Gareth a line regarding the seating plans PDF file he mentioned when I ordered the chassis so will see if he can give some pointers on lowering the false underframe.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_20180812_215411_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180812_215626_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180812_215521_1.jpg

Hi Martyn

I have not noticed a difference in ride height on my EMUs with Replica powered chassis.

The coaches on theses two units all seem to be the same height.

post-16423-0-50661900-1534142879_thumb.jpg

And with my 501, the two driving cars are on Bachmann Mk1 suburban chassis.

post-16423-0-47101300-1534143004_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Martyn

I have not noticed a difference in ride height on my EMUs with Replica powered chassis.

The coaches on theses two units all seem to be the same height.

012a.jpg

And with my 501, the two driving cars are on Bachmann Mk1 suburban chassis.

004a.jpg

Hi Clive, your units are coming on nicely!

Yes I was quite surprised at the difference, though my observation was a quick one as I was packing away for the evening and I only had the Triang coach handy for reference, so not a particularly scientific exercise I have to say - it may be that my trailers are a tad low, which was my initial suspicion, or six of one and half a dozen of the other - so further checking is required; that said, the 14mm wheel flanges on the Replica powered chassis just clear the solebars when the bogies are turned, which they shouldn't by rights. Perhaps the latest chassis have had a little more clearance built in to allow for sharper curves? Its certainly no criticism of the Replica chassis anyway and with the underframe swap I have in mind it is unlikely to cause me a problem to be honest. I will carry out further checks in any case.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Forgive me if this sounds like teaching you to suck eggs, but on the real railway buffer centres should be 3ft 6in above rail height. So 14mm to us.

By the by, if you try measuring up RTR stuff, you find this is honoured usually in the breach!

John.

Thanks John, yes I was aware there is a standard buffer height, but didn't have the measurement to hand when packing up last night hence the coach comparison to check my rolling chassis'; although as it stands they have no bufferbeams as yet of course! :jester:

Things have become scientific - well almost....

Checking photos of a real 303 as well as the BR Diagram drawing, the buffer height centre line is a fraction lower than the bottom edge of the solebars (say about 0.5mm in 4mm scale terms - close enough for me), the bufferbeams being a few inches deeper than the solebars, as with others in the Mk.1 derived family, to accomodate buffers and drawgear.

Out with the steel rule then....!

My Trailer chassis from rail to bottom of solebar comes in at approx 13.5mm, the powered chassis being approx 15.5mm.

So the answer looks to be to raise the trailers by 1mm and lower the powered chassis underframe by 1mm to give a common rail to solebar height of 14.5mm (and thus buffer c/l height of 14mm as John mentioned above).

Shim washers will lift the trailers; I will build appropriate spacers into the powered chassis when the underframes are swapped.

• Like 1

The trailers have had shims added now, which in itself makes them much closer to the powered chassis.

Couldn't resist posing an end and side panel loosely in place to see how they sit around the chassis.... :-)

attachicon.gifIMG_20180813_213049_1.jpg

Come on, get that file out and profile the drivers windows to the original configuration, I know it will be an absolute pig to get the window to fit but it will be worth it :stinker:

Jim

• Like 2

I’ve used two Replica chassis, one long and one short, and both have needed the frame spacing down to get the buffer height right.

Loving the 303 build. Quite fancy a pair for a future Glasgow suburban layout I’ve got in mind.

• Like 2

Come on, get that file out and profile the drivers windows to the original configuration, I know it will be an absolute pig to get the window to fit but it will be worth it :stinker:

Jim

Indeed! Hence why I have not started putting the bodyshells together yet Jim.... It shall be done. :-)

I’ve used two Replica chassis, one long and one short, and both have needed the frame spacing down to get the buffer height right.

Loving the 303 build. Quite fancy a pair for a future Glasgow suburban layout I’ve got in mind.

Thanks, can I ask how you went about lowering the frames? Was there anything more involved than just fitting spacers?

Might be worth dropping Charlie at DC Kits a line to see if he can put a set or 2 together for you?