I look forward to the next chapter in your Class 126 project, I hope it's an ex E&G intermediate DMBS you choose to do, purely for selfish reasons to see how you cut up the Trix coaches to achieve it. I'm still getting the bits together before I start my 79xxx set,I now have the Lima chassis, but I don't like to start a project unless I have almost everything I need for at least the first vehicle.

E&G iDMBS 79088 is one of the more intriguing vehicles of the E&G fleet to become a unique class 126, I suspect it received the modification to operate in the Ayrshire fleet at the same time as it's repaint. I'd trust written observations ahead of BR paperwork dates for the transfer but it would make sense that a vehicle going into the works for a repaint and overhaul would've been pragmatically modified for Ayrshire rather than returning to the E&G when it's replacement trains were being introduced.

Here's a link to a recently posted video of the Bo'ness Class 126

.It includes lots of interior shots showing the fantastic standard of restoration work the SRPS have achieved, particularly considering that they were empty shells stripped back to the bare metalwork after asbestos removal. I've only managed one run on this unit so far, hopefully we'll see more of it this year.
  • Like 3

I look forward to the next chapter in your Class 126 project, I hope it's an ex E&G intermediate DMBS you choose to do, purely for selfish reasons to see how you cut up the Trix coaches to achieve it. I'm still getting the bits together before I start my 79xxx set,I now have the Lima chassis, but I don't like to start a project unless I have almost everything I need for at least the first vehicle.

E&G iDMBS 79088 is one of the more intriguing vehicles of the E&G fleet to become a unique class 126, I suspect it received the modification to operate in the Ayrshire fleet at the same time as it's repaint. I'd trust written observations ahead of BR paperwork dates for the transfer but it would make sense that a vehicle going into the works for a repaint and overhaul would've been pragmatically modified for Ayrshire rather than returning to the E&G when it's replacement trains were being introduced.

Here's a link to a recently posted video of the Bo'ness Class 126 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOpFSQea8_s .It includes lots of interior shots showing the fantastic standard of restoration work the SRPS have achieved, particularly considering that they were empty shells stripped back to the bare metalwork after asbestos removal. I've only managed one run on this unit so far, hopefully we'll see more of it this year.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing the video, interesting viewing, always nice to see the real thing in action and they have made such a nice job of restoring the unit. The DMS(i) cab looks quite claustrophobic for the Driver!

Before I commit I need to study the plans of the E&G DMBS(i) to see how the saloon window spacing measures up against the Trix coaches, hopefully it won't involve splicing individual window sections together like the TCK did, as this was a real pain.

Without doubt the Ayrshire SC510xx DMS(i) is the most straightforward body conversion in basic terms (least number of bodyside cuts) using a Trix RMB as a basis; this only needs the buffet sections removing and replacing with second class window sections from a CK or BCK, plus the addition of an extra door length at the cab end to give the cab windows, and filling in the resulting unwanted door outlines and the lavatory window on the non driving side.

Will hopefully get round to checking this out over the next day or so.

Cheers,

Martyn.

As an update to the above post, a quick bit of checking against prototype E&G DMBS(i) plans shows the 6 full passenger bays each to be 6ft long, plus a 3ft "half bay" at the outer end; by good fortune the Trix "2nd class" window centres are 24mm apart so appropriate sections from a Trix BCK and CK will be ideal for this, along with supplying the various other windows and doors. The only minor annoyance with the brake vehicles is the double luggage compartment doors have the window in the opposite door to Mk.1 coaches, meaning they need swapping or the window filling in and a new one drilling out in the opposite door, hey ho!

Edit for correction.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2

A bit of burning of midnight oil and a start has been made on the next 2 Class 126 vehicles using a Trix RMB (maroon), CK (choc/cream) and BCK (green), with a further blue/grey BCK on standby for the "cutters torch". The RMB was an expensive purchase at £8, but the others were from a junk box costing on average only a couple of £ a piece. I decided to build these simultaneously to cut down on time setting up the workbench (aka kitchen table) for each stage.

As with the other vehicles the first job involved removing the locating strip along the bottom of each side, using a Stanley knife to cut the strip away in one long section, as seen on the right side of the picture:

post-28743-0-38010000-1525480123_thumb.jpg

These strips are kept safe and used to deepen the bodysides once cut & shut. The reason I use these strips instead of plasticard is that they have a slightly triangular cross section so when cemented in place they match the body profile nicely, whilst adding strength along the length of the bodyside.

A mitre block and razor saw were then used to cut the body sections out. So far the 126 DMS(i) sides have been cut into relevant sections, along with 1 side of the E&G DMBS(i) (mainly green). More fettling is required before gluing the sections together. A blue/grey BCK will be needed to provide windows for the other side. All the leftover bodyside sections will be kept; more than enough to do another TCK or buffet if I can be bothered at some point. Or a scrapyard scene possibly!

post-28743-0-32419400-1525480430_thumb.jpg

Thin plasticard will be used inside the body to strengthen the joints, but in such a way as not to interfere with fitting an interior. Any imperfect joints/gaps will have Squadron green putty applied prior to sanding. The Trix roofs will be re-used, this has the advantage that they locate onto the top of the bodysides adding further strength once fitted.

Edit for further info.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 6

Following some sun and a rather good barbecue, this evening the sides have been tacked together using EMA Plastic Weld. Its all a bit "multi coloured swap shop" at the moment! The lower edge strips have been added too. The standard Ayrshire 126 DMS(i) is top, with the E&G DMBS(i) below; in both cases cab ends are to the right.

post-28743-0-26928600-1525648470_thumb.jpg

They will be left weighted overnight for the solvent to harden before filling and sanding commences. There are a couple of superflous windows which need filling in at the same time too.

• Like 6

Couple of questions for the knowledgable on the E&G "126" if I may.

1) Were the exhaust arrangements on the E&G DMBS/DMS(i) the same as on the Ayrshire units (ie shrouded, similar shape etc)?

2) Has anyone seen a photo of 79088 in green livery in AYRSHIRE service circa or post 1970? (The well known one online around this time was at Waverley on an E&G working)?

Thanks all.

Couple of questions for the knowledgable on the E&G "126" if I may.

1) Were the exhaust arrangements on the E&G DMBS/DMS(i) the same as on the Ayrshire units (ie shrouded, similar shape etc)?

2) Has anyone seen a photo of 79088 in green livery in AYRSHIRE service circa or post 1970? (The well known one online around this time was at Waverley on an E&G working)?

Thanks all.

Not sure if this is specifically what you're after but I found this:

http://railcar.co.uk/images/uploads/126/1600/class-126-dmu-1490586996-1600.jpg

Edited by FPH 603

Not sure if this is specifically what you're after but I found this:

http://railcar.co.uk/images/uploads/126/1600/class-126-dmu-1490586996-1600.jpg

Thanks Nigel, I have seen that photo which is one of the Ayrshire 126 units arrangement; I think the Edinburgh & Glasgow earlier SC7xxxx style is similar but not 100% sure, istr reading they had a metal exhaust shrouding instead but may be mistaken and similar photos of those vehicles seem few and far between.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

Photos of E&G 79xxx vehicles are quite rare and the exhaust end of the Driving Motors are rare as hens teeth, I had a wee hunt around the web and only found one of the DMS that went to Ayr and was sadly component stripped including the vertical exhaust beside the gangway. I did find a picture of a pair of refurbished, blue-grey painted, Inter-City decalled vehicles!

post-26542-0-12961900-1525986765.png

• Like 6

Photos of E&G 79xxx vehicles are quite rare and the exhaust end of the Driving Motors are rare as hens teeth, I had a wee hunt around the web and only found one of the DMS that went to Ayr and was sadly component stripped including the vertical exhaust beside the gangway. I did find a picture of a pair of refurbished, blue-grey painted, Inter-City decalled vehicles!

Nice find, not seen a photo of the Liberian units as delivered before. From the photos I have seen it seems that as a general rule the E&G sets mostly received blue/grey by around 1970/71 whilst the Ayrshire units were somewhat later (post mid 1970s).

Thanks,

Martyn.

The bodysides have now been filled and sanded but I need another fret of door handles and hinges so until these can be added, I have started preparing the 2 Lima Class 117 chassis. As I don't need another powered car the motor bogie has been set aside and the hole filled in with plasticard. Other than that, work follows the earlier conversions, namely removing the box section above the solebar level (quite easy using a sharp Stanley knife), removing footsteps and cleaning up solebars, sinking the bogie mountings deeper into the chassis (by the same method - this is to lower ride height) and altering some of the underframe moulding, which allows space for a new fuel tank at the outer end. Photos show the non powered chassis with most work done, and the former motorised chassis prior to cutting the upper box section away (need to check as this is for the E&G car which I think has slightly different details around the fuel tank).

post-28743-0-87386100-1526319740_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-48697800-1526319775_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-14236300-1526319805_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-61162100-1526319862_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-64288800-1526319901_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 6

A bit more done on the 2 chassis, the former motorised one has now also been modified, mainly in a similar way to the unpowered one, but where the Standard Ayrshire 126 vehicles have largely just had parts of the Lima underframes swapped around and a plasticard fuel tank added, photos show the E&G vehicles had a slightly different arrangement, such as the fuel tanks being different (only visible on one side with other gubbins on the opposite side) and altered battery box positions etc. I am not attempting a slavish copy of the real thing, but decided my E&G car should follow suit in being a little different, so although one side suffices in unaltered Lima form, the other side has a few parts added from the bits box. (Unpowered chassis seen top in the images, awaiting fuel tank, with the E&G version (ex-motorised car) seen below it. Footsteps will be fitted once the bodies have been added. Orientation of both is the same; cab ends to the right.

post-28743-0-07698900-1526687489_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-23909000-1526687523_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-07170300-1526687557_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Various odd jobs are being done simultaneously on the 126 vehicles now. Being akin to Triang coach construction, the ends of each side as designed have a recess where they butt up to the coach end. Most of these have been lost due to the re-arrangement of the sides so my solution is to chamfer the curved edges of the sides AND ends to get the correct relationship. As the sides will be glued to the ends any minor gaps can be filled later so accuracy to the n'th degree isn't required thankfully, although obviously the relationship between the roof, sides, ends and chassis is critical to the finished appearance.

post-28743-0-50031300-1526810890_thumb.jpg

As well as being chamferred, the 4 coach ends (cut off the Trix chassis as previously) have had their detail sanded off in readiness for modifying. The base of these will be screwed directly to the now flat Lima chassis in due course, along with a thin plasticard shim. Although a little "anorexic", the gangway connections are retained; the outer cab end ones will be beefed up a little using plasticard and etched end plates.

post-28743-0-11435400-1526811265_thumb.jpg

Door edges along the sides have had a pass from the razor saw to remove stray filler and extend across the added lower strip. This "strip" below the Guards door will be trimmed away as they open inwards of course. Holes for the etched MJT door handles still need drilling out.

post-28743-0-86938400-1526811671_thumb.jpg

The reason for adding the strip along the lower edge of each Trix side is seen in this photo, a Triang side is to the left, Trix on the right:post-28743-0-89158300-1526812044_thumb.jpg

The strip also has the benefit of giving a better relationship between lower bodyside and window depth.

I also idly tested a spare window from a Mainline RBR SEF "Flushglaze" pack which is a reasonable fit in the Trix window, but just a tad short along the top edge and the curved corners look a little unsightly, the Trix windows being more squared off. I may get a pack for a Mainline SK and try those to see if they are any better. Unfortunately the quarterlights, door and lavatory windows are way off though.

post-28743-0-79909000-1526812708_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping with most of the fiddly jobs done these 2 vehicles will come together fairly quickly now.

• Like 3

More progress this evening. The coach ends were affixed to 0.5mm plasticard before being cut out individually and trimmed around the profile of the ends. Small filler pieces were added underneath to compensate for the step in the ends of the Lima chassis. These assemblies were then drilled through and screwed into place.post-28743-0-51106700-1526859941_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-68660700-1526859977_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-11940400-1526860006_thumb.jpg

To match this, 0.5mm strips were added underneath the rib running along the sides. A further strip of 1mm x 1.5mm was then added to locate in the recesses within the chassis.

post-28743-0-05703300-1526860272_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-26388500-1526860366_thumb.jpg

The two roofs have been lengthened using parts of a third, and cab end windows drilled and filed out.

post-28743-0-81787400-1526860619_thumb.jpg

At this point it was possible to fit everything loosely together to test the fit. They are all the same length thankfully, although the photo perspective may suggest otherwise! SC51014 from my original 3 car build was added for comparison.

post-28743-0-83895100-1526860782_thumb.jpg

The two new vehicles have now been stripped down to their component parts again while solvent and filler set, which will also allow further detail work to be undertaken before the sides and ends are fixed together.

• Like 4

End detailing in progress.

Left to right: Ayrshire DMS(i), E&G DMBS(i) and my first built Ayrshire DMS(i).

post-28743-0-57473700-1526972207_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-55377500-1526972304_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-71248000-1526972378_thumb.jpg

Headcode box shape on the new Ayrshire car is slightly improved over my first build, which were slightly too oblong rather than "almost square". The E&G car is the outward-angled stencil type which were plated/painted over by 1970. Cab end gangways are beefed up a little, etched end plates will be fitted to the new cars.

• Like 8

Some slow progress, but progress nontheless! I decided to glue the ends and sides together before drilling the holes for door handles etc, as with the roof in place this gives at least as much rigidity as drilling loose sides with their multitude of fairly weak joins, so filling and sanding has been in progress, happily the fit of all the parts is as good as I could hope for; the Ayrshire car now has its fuel tank made and fitted too.

I decided to try to add the cab roof end lip to both these cars as it is fairly noticable on the real things; Slaters .010"x.025" strip was used for this; a bit fiddly but hopefully worth it.

My small MJT order has arrived too, containing gangway end plates and door handles.post-28743-0-80251100-1527186498_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-93844900-1527186526_thumb.jpg

Still plenty to do yet!

• Like 5

More work on the gangways done (including amending that on SC51014 to match, using a spare etched gangway connection, albeit with the originally fitted Bachmann end board retained) - Milliput was used to form the covers over the tops of these.

And a quick blow over with grey primer to highlight areas needing any extra filling/sanding.

post-28743-0-62613500-1527289870_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-03249200-1527289916_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-46924800-1527289989_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-86004500-1527290030_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-81198400-1527290075_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

After a fairly unproductive modelling week I hope to get some more pics of 126 progress up later.

In the meantime a related question; Was late DMU green as used on the E&G sets the same colour as BR (Brunswick) green? Only ask as a photo of SC79088 shows what appears to be a darker shade?

Any hints on suitable car aerosol colours for same gratefully appreciated!

TIA,

Martyn.

Getting down to the nitty gritty jobs now, namely door and grab handles and handrails; The E&G car needing most work in this respect as shown. Thankfully there are not too many. Think I need a new pin vice as mine is getting past holding anything less than a 0.6mm drill bit. Hopefully epoxy resin will hide the slightly oversized holes.... Door hinges will be applied using a spot of matt varnish as with previous jobs.

The chassis' have had a quick pass with the matt black but will need another coat once work is complete. Hopefully by the end of today I will have reached a stage where the bodies are ready for their final colours, work can then start on sanding the roofs and sorting the vents etc.

post-28743-0-38182400-1528208956_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-14885900-1528209125_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

State of play this evening; the 2 new bodies have been undercoated and have just had a coat of BR Blue applied. The yellow ends were done first hence they are masked off. Trying to spray yellow over blue is a recipe for disaster, once bitten and all that.....

I ditched the idea of doing the E&G car in lined green, mainly due to cost, having neither paint nor transfers in stock and also no other projects in the pipeline which would justify splashing out (Skinflint, moi?).

post-28743-0-76287400-1528491278_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Whilst in the middle of painting the 126 cars I had a rather nice surprise this morning when this little lot arrived in the post! I ordered the DC Kits Class 303 some time ago on the basis of it being slightly incomplete (ie less underframe parts as they are not in production currently) and when time permits. Thank you Mr. Petty!

post-28743-0-24524300-1528978071_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Love to see that one done as an unrefurbished set with the original wrap round windows!!

Jim

Thanks Jim, that is exactly my plan, probably BR blue rather than "Caley Blue Train" blue, unless they were still in that scheme in 1970 (to fit with my existing stock), need to look into it. Will have to look at plastic packaging for those wrap-round windscreens I think!

May be a slow burner, this one...

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

The 126 rooves have been completed and painted and a start made on the interiors. The Ayrshire DMSL(i) will have the Trix RMB interior used with the buffet areas and tables removed and spare seats substituted. The E&G DMBSL(i) is mainly using seats from a Replica Mk.1 TSO interior fixed to plasticard strips.

post-28743-0-84987100-1529071533_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-89325300-1529071599_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-72686100-1529071803_thumb.jpg

• Like 5