Both cars have now been painted; work on interiors is still progressing. On these two I kept the Lima buffer housings which were trimmed back slightly before adding MJT 2373 18" Buffer heads in the retracted position, which themselves had very fine brass tube sleeves fitted as the shanks looked a little too skinny for this application. Kadee No.5 couplers have been fitted to the bufferbeams of the outer driving cars as they are not required to traverse sharp curves (although part of the Lima bogie coupler mouldings have been retained in case simple bar couplers are ever needed, should tighter radii need to be traversed). Some spare cast metal vac pipes have thus been added too; the multiple working cables will probably have to be scratch built as I'm not aware of any commercial offerings.

post-28743-0-05931900-1529347296_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-58808600-1529347327_thumb.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure whether to leave the E&G headcode stencil boxes blank (as per the well known photo of it in green livery at Waverley), or add transfers for "1" and "2" which an online photo in blue livery post 1970 shows. The real headcodes appear to be simple light boxes (seen exposed in some online photos) onto which the stencilled panel (metal plate with the number cut out?) was slotted to suit the appropriate route as required - I have only ever seen photos showing a single character per box eg "A" or "X" in early years, "1" or "2" etc in later years.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely stunning 126s. I just wish I had half your talent as I think it’s the only way I’ll get a 126. Not exactly mainstream. On the 303s by 1970 they would have been BR blue not Caley blue. I think some originally had their yellow cabs extended to include the doors, but these were very early repaints. Great you are modelling stock I used to travel in , Paisley Gilmour St to Glasgow Central. Superb

Absolutely stunning 126s. I just wish I had half your talent as I think it’s the only way I’ll get a 126. Not exactly mainstream. On the 303s by 1970 they would have been BR blue not Caley blue. I think some originally had their yellow cabs extended to include the doors, but these were very early repaints. Great you are modelling stock I used to travel in , Paisley Gilmour St to Glasgow Central. Superb

Thanks pal, most kind. Really could do with a small "home layout" more suited to running them; the 303 in particular would be a bit out of place at "Crinan", though the 126 could be on a "6 Lochs" style (or similar) Railtour at a pinch.

There are several photos of 303's in Caley blue in 1968 but as you say they seem to have been repainted BR blue by 1970 with small, full or extended wrap round yellow ends (so still some choice of livery!).

• Like 1

After a good deal of thought, as an experiment I am going to produce a sixth 126 car, using left over bodyside parts, as either another TCK/TCS or Buffet car. I say experimental as this will also use the Trix chassis (heavily reworked) as I have several of these, and might be useful for anyone else wanting to have a go without having to source a Lima 117.

The only expense will be that I will need to source another pair of DMU bogies... and may not progress rapidly but we will see.

If anyone is interested in 5 Lima 117 bodies (3x DMBS, 1x not 100% correct DMS and 1x TC) at a reasonable price please drop me a PM....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

After a good deal of thought, as an experiment I am going to produce a sixth 126 car, using left over bodyside parts, as either another TCK/TCS or Buffet car. I say experimental as this will also use the Trix chassis (heavily reworked) as I have several of these, and might be useful for anyone else wanting to have a go without having to source a Lima 117.

The only expense will be that I will need to source another pair of DMU bogies... and may not progress rapidly but we will see.

If anyone is interested in 5 Lima 117 bodies (3x DMBS, 1x not 100% correct DMS and 1x TC) at a reasonable price please drop me a PM....

Do you have any bogieless chassis?

As you discovered doing the TCK there is a lot of cutting and shutting, the buffet is just as big a challenge, fortunately there is one still in existence for any details that pictures and drawings don't cover. Would it not be easier to use a Triang/Hornby Mk1 chassis rather than attempt something with the Trix chassis?

Here's a list of running dates planned for the Class 126 at Bo'ness.

2018 Running Dates Announced

The Class 126 DMU, subject to availability, is scheduled to operating the last Bo'ness and Kinneil train service at 15.35 on the following dates:

19th & 20th May

9th & 10th June

21st & 22nd July

1st, 15th & 16th September

20th & 21st October.

Brian.

As you discovered doing the TCK there is a lot of cutting and shutting, the buffet is just as big a challenge, fortunately there is one still in existence for any details that pictures and drawings don't cover. Would it not be easier to use a Triang/Hornby Mk1 chassis rather than attempt something with the Trix chassis?

Here's a list of running dates planned for the Class 126 at Bo'ness. 2018 Running Dates Announced

The Class 126 DMU, subject to availability, is scheduled to operating the last Bo'ness and Kinneil train service at 15.35 on the following dates:

19th & 20th May

9th & 10th June

21st & 22nd July

1st, 15th & 16th September

20th & 21st October.

Brian.

Thanks for the running update Brian, unlikely I will make it up there this year but seeing the real thing in action is on my "to do" list. Online photos of the preserved unit have been of great help during construction of my unit.

Using a triang chassis/roof with Trix sides should be fairly straightforward, I think Clive (Mortimore) has the same idea; My idea of using stretched Trix chassis is just to use leftover parts. The Triang roof is also a tad wider than the Trix (only by about 1 mm) but this may be noticable in a train of otherwise Trix roofed vehicles.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the running update Brian, unlikely I will make it up there this year but seeing the real thing in action is on my "to do" list. Online photos of the preserved unit have been of great help during construction of my unit.

Using a triang chassis/roof with Trix sides should be fairly straightforward, I think Clive (Mortimore) has the same idea; My idea of using stretched Trix chassis is just to use leftover parts. The Triang roof is also a tad wider than the Trix (only by about 1 mm) but this may be noticable in a train of otherwise Trix roofed vehicles.

Cheers,

Martyn.

When I get round to making my Edinburgh to Glasgow set I will be using Tri-ang frames and roofs manly to do with the small width difference. Plus I have surplus Tri-ang bits from other cut and shut projects. The left over Trix roofs are the correct width and profile for a Hastings unit. I have surplus 57ft underframes from Bachmann  Mk1 suburban conversions to ER 25KV EMUs so a 6S is on the cards, I can scratchbuild straight sides for a Hastings unit.  A ScR and a SR units for a layout based in Sheffield....I am mad.

When I get round to making my Edinburgh to Glasgow set I will be using Tri-ang frames and roofs manly to do with the small width difference. Plus I have surplus Tri-ang bits from other cut and shut projects. The left over Trix roofs are the correct width and profile for a Hastings unit. I have surplus 57ft underframes from Bachmann  Mk1 suburban conversions to ER 25KV EMUs so a 6S is on the cards, I can scratchbuild straight sides for a Hastings unit.  A ScR and a SR units for a layout based in Sheffield....I am mad.

Rule 1 as always Clive, we all use it! :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Only as mad as me. I have built several SR EMUs but have a Woodhead based layout.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

Some basic weathering has taken place of all 5 class 126 cars, mostly on the chassis and inner ends so far. I am now in the process of adding the glazing to the 2 latest vehicles, by the same process as the others, after putting it off; definately something I have to be in the mood for!

post-28743-0-00776100-1530301845_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-01039600-1530301923_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-03334100-1530301953_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-82776900-1530301981_thumb.jpg

Edit: PS has anyone else noticed that the Lima 117 DMU Power & pickup bogies are about 2mm wider over frames than the ordinary pinpoint ones fitted under the other 117 cars? Odd!

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2

The DMBSL has also had a Kadee fitted at the outer end, being mounted at scale height rather than the Kadee recommended height (so only compatible within this set as a result). The Drivers console is an old MTK one. Not sure about the larger double arrow on this car; some did seem to carry larger ones than the DMSLi's in the 70s but it may be a tad too big; the jury is still out. Mind you when coupled as per the last photo such formations looked pretty ungainly anyway!

post-28743-0-69467800-1530340271_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-16792900-1530340312_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-99926400-1530340430_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The SR used to use the Hastings DEMUs on Merrymaker excursions, admittedly often a 6B or L, I’ve certainly been to Leicester on one trip and Derby on another. Their finale on the Long Thin Drag railtour took them over the S&C. Sheffield no problem.....

• Like 2

Hi Martyn - great photos.

Thought you might be interested in this one from Eastbank MRC, it appeared on Facebook recently

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Swindon/UK1223.jpg

Some good detail of the end of the unit.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I had not seen that photo, it does show the accrued muck above the gangway connection rather well, along with the redundant footstep brackets in the same area.

Although complete, my units are not yet finished as I keep finding bits to do and more weathering to add. One job will see the lav windows replaced on the first 3 cars; on the newer ones they use tissue paper fixed with matt varnish to give the "frosting" effect (as per the Mk.1 coaches a couple of pages back) which looks better than the painted effect I think.

post-28743-0-39092600-1530780611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 6

Had a mooch around the sales stands at the Port Sunlight Model & Hobby show whilst exhibiting Talywain. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not averse to a bargain in need of restoration, such is the case with a Hornby current class 08, badly repainted in "MOD green" with a missing front footstep and a slightly bent coupling rod. It runs ok (wheels filthy though) and will be dipped in the Model Strip to see what can be salvaged, wasp stripes and a D number lurk under there somewhere; but for £25 I'm happy to take a chance....

The Triang coaches are to be chassis donors for that class 303 EMU shown earlier, again £2.50 each wasn't going to break the bank!

post-28743-0-61485600-1530983556_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-29854300-1530983711_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The Bargain 08 has been left overnight coated with a generous amount of "Modelstrip" and the result has been as good as I hoped, revealing BR green livery; the wasp stripes are perfectly intact although the BR logos and numbers have partly come off; no great shakes as it will be renumbered (if not repainted into BR blue).

Yes, it is the same loco! Evidently the repaint didn't use cellulose paint thankfully. . .

Still a few nooks and crannies to revisit, mainly around the chassis / bufferbeams. A couple of parts came adrift during the scrub down; these have been stored safely. Biggest job will be to replace the missing front footstep, which may involve soldered brass.

post-28743-0-49547200-1531046205_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-33680300-1531046238_thumb.jpg

Edit: the bent coupling rods have also straightened very well, being so fine they are both prone to careless handling and also to straightening out again.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 12

Some slow progress with the 08; the replacement front footstep has been fabricated from brass strip, just needs a little more cleaning up and the handrails adding before undercoating - seen test fitted in new pilot holes here.

post-28743-0-72196100-1531431300_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-35032300-1531431334_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Front footstep now painted and fitted, also the loco has received new BR crests, obligatory overhead electrification warning flashes and its identity as D3733 which, in 1970, was based at Corkerhill. It ended its working days in 1975, still in green livery (with the TOPS number 08566 on BR blue painted cab panels, and with yellow bufferbeams by this date), being withdrawn from Eastfield following a fire and cut up at Glasgow Works in 1977.

I have left the bufferbeams red on the assumption that yellow was applied when the loco was renumbered in 1974, which may or may not be correct, but this can be rectified if 1970 photo proof is presented....

The model will receive a heavy dose of weathering over the next few days in any case.

post-28743-0-90329800-1531505193_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-60157800-1531505151_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Weathering of the 08 has now been done, just need to re-attach the front NEM coupler pocket and add a couple of vacuum pipes and spare tail lamps to finish. Decided to pose it on "Talywain" for phone pics as it fits in well with the overgrown sidings... Lighting wasn't perfect but does highlight some of the nice detail on the Hornby model.

post-28743-0-50442500-1531683496_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-51641700-1531683537_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-03299300-1531683581_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-45137600-1531683620_thumb.jpg

• Like 6