The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I like what you did there……very nice 👌

Not quite sure if you are inferring that some photo trickery has taken place here but I can assure you that the photo was taken from a Hercules during a formation trip from Boscombe Down to Hatfield in 1991.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Lochgorm said:

Not quite sure if you are inferring that some photo trickery has taken place here but I can assure you that the photo was taken from a Hercules during a formation trip from Boscombe Down to Hatfield in 1991.

Not at all…..I just meant the one statement covering both aircraft.

• RMweb Gold

I assume you means these bits. I think they are vortex generators to tumble the air. Not sure why they are around the tail though. Normally seen on wings at the trailing (none moving) section.

13400049-E836-4C1A-96FA-9B0CE4B0C554.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Andy7 said:

I assume you means these bits. I think they are vortex generators to tumble the air. Not sure why they are around the tail though. Normally seen on wings at the trailing (none moving) section.

13400049-E836-4C1A-96FA-9B0CE4B0C554.jpeg

To reduce drag at the tail section, produce small vortices which as you say tumble past where the air would normally meet and cause turbulence drag.  

Basically the vortices are too busy whizzing around to get their act together (literally) and cause drag.😉

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

INS Vikrant - there have recently been news items about this Indian aircraft carrier being commissioned.  It will carry MiG-29Ks with take off apparently from the ski-ramp with no catapult, although there may be one on the angled deck.  The Wiki does not mention catapults.  Pictures from BBC News.

image.png.baeb1eb286c76dcb3f5cf0ef293b3052.png

image.png.61f14bee3ec4e5cf9aedc1b455c167bf.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

INS Vikrant - there have recently been news items about this Indian aircraft carrier being commissioned.  It will carry MiG-29Ks with take off apparently from the ski-ramp with no catapult, although there may be one on the angled deck.  The Wiki does not mention catapults.  Pictures from BBC News.

image.png.baeb1eb286c76dcb3f5cf0ef293b3052.png

image.png.61f14bee3ec4e5cf9aedc1b455c167bf.png

Hope the 29 floats well 😄

• Funny 3

This Pan Am film from the early 1940's has just been posted on YT.....

Quite a bit of flying boat (and other aircraft) activity in the first 20 minutes or so, then it becomes more of a travelogue, though there are several interesting shots of road vehicles in Honolulu, Manilla (including a brief glimpse of a tram) and Hong Kong.    There is also a short narrow gauge rail line on Wake Island that I'd never heard of!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting photo-manipulation there. None of the elements make any sense when combined. What is really is that most of the people are looking off to the right and NOT covering their ears against the noise. If that were real, that jet would be quite LOUD!

• Agree 1

On 04/09/2022 at 03:11, BR traction instructor said:

An American friend has sent these still pics from a video of a Super Scooper fire plane type fighting forest fires near his home in The Rockies…

BeRTIe

AD3DA74F-F75F-44EB-9357-F2B3A7510DAF.png

F3F28C59-EB4C-4463-A8EB-B49EEF5688DC.png

866C47FE-FC30-40DF-83A1-E1BE2059B8CF.png

F1E9ADA0-0971-463C-B993-7164881D0D51.png

Back in the end of the 1970s and beginning of the eighties, we spent about 8 months travelling around Southern France, doing whatever work we could find. When work was short, we lived at the side of Lac du Salagou, north of Beziers.

Salagou had been built for two reasons; a supply of water to irrigate the many local vineyards and orchards, and a re-watering base for the recently-introduced 'Canadairs'. These were the antecedents of the ones in the photos. Some days, if there was a big fire, they'd be flying over every five minutes- you'd even see several planes lined up to  refill, sometimes queue-jumping.  They seemed to very skilled pilots, but they had quite a high attrition rate, not surprising given the conditions they were flying in.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

"It's the Blimp, the Blimp......"

40 years ago today at Farnborough Airshow !

Rather amazingly, that was the only photo I took there that day, having lost interest in Aircraft at the time.........

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, the Goodyear blimp was a common sight as it was based about three miles or so north of my house.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2022 at 14:08, J. S. Bach said:

Interesting photo-manipulation there. None of the elements make any sense when combined. What is really is that most of the people are looking off to the right and NOT covering their ears against the noise. If that were real, that jet would be quite LOUD!

It’s actually real, there’s two sets of multiple images by two photographers who were standing next to each other, and the aircraft did two passes. 
59CA9500-7D98-455B-9CF0-4D39BE20F5EA.png.da5e299520097b996d06ce608af4fb2e.png

It’s obviously taken with a large telephoto lens due the foreshortened perspective, and you can see this is a different pass as the people are in different places.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A very poor screengrab from mobile phone video footage.

HM Queen passing almost over my house in Milton Keynes on her way from Edinburgh to Northholt last night (photo at 1840). An historic moment that I didn't expect to witness as southbounds are usually some miles further west of me. The flight seemed to be on 'normal route' but then went eastwards to Northampton area before turning south towards me, then westwards again.

Although I had no tracking trouble myself, I gather that Flightradar 'crashed' due to a high number of trackers!

Brian

IMG_5562.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Although I had no tracking trouble myself, I gather that Flightradar 'crashed' due to a high number of trackers!

Brian

I normally use ads-b exchange for tracking military though yesterday didn't make any difference apart from the 'crash'.  When you bring up the display click on 'U' button top right to show just military.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Flight number was KRF01R - am guessing King's Royal Flight 01-Rex?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Callsign = Kittyhawk used for VVIP flights including Royals, heads of state and senior politicians.

01 is the flight number, R= Royal family member/s on board. ‘Category’ B flight so gets priority over other types of flight excepting Cat A , which are blues and two’s life at risk type  tasking.

Edited by PMP
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3