The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

Dug these out. They come from The Smithsonian in Washington. If you get the chance, all the Smithsonian museums in Washington are worth visiting.

post-143-0-50144700-1522178239_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-44587500-1522178240_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-49531200-1522178241_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-94677000-1522178242_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-10961600-1522178244_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-47211600-1522178245_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-47929700-1522178246_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-66790300-1522178247_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-85531000-1522178248_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-95046500-1522178249_thumb.jpg

steve

• Like 16

Dug these out. They come from The Smithsonian in Washington. If you get the chance, all the Smithsonian museums in Washington are worth visiting.

attachicon.gifIMG_0480.jpg

Your photograph of the F4B-4 (a later Naval variant of the Boeing P12) hiding in the Navy hall reminded me very much of the Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk - which operationally was launched and recovered from a hangar inside the Zeppelins USS Macon and USS Akron.

Being contemporaries, that shouldn't be too surprising, but I was struck by how very similar they were. Early 1930s aircraft are quite fascinating as transitional designs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great visit to IWM Duxford for my birthday with Mrs Dava today for our flight with Classic Wings DH Rapide over Cambridgeshire. The Rapide is 72 years old, built by Brush Coachworks in Loughborough, near where we live, under license.

There was a lot of aircraft activity with the Classic Wings Tiger Moths, Spitfire and a P51 Mustang all active today. Enjoyed seeing the displays and planes under restoration at IWM.

post-14654-0-51630600-1523745997_thumb.jpeg

Dava

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Looking a bit sad and sorry after 32 years exposed to the elements and wildlife. EE Canberra Mk 20 A84-238 first flew in 1956 and entered service with No.2 Squadron RAAF. It saw combat in Vietnam in 1969-71 and in 1973 was one of 6 RAAF Canberras converted for cartographic survey work. Last flew in 1982 and in 1985 was prepared for transfer to a proposed Vietnam War museum. But it it never went ahead and 238 was plinthed at Willowbank, Queensland in 1986.

post-6959-0-15075800-1525071358_thumb.jpg

Interestingly there is another even more derelict Canberra (A84-248) in an adjacent paddock and only just visible from the road.

Cheers
David

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Who needs to go to the Mall?

So jolly nice of those RAF chaps (and chapesses) to treat me to my own personal flypast right outside my bedroom window.

attachicon.gifIMG_1542.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1545.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1570.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1572.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1576.jpg

Thanks for posting the BBMF photo in particular. I video'd that so it was difficult to make out the individual aircraft in the formation. Both Hurricanes and three Spitfires accompanying the Lanc - magic!

Great photos and must of been a glorious sight

Not sure why every news report I have heard though says that it was the first public display of an F35. An F35 displayed at RIAT 2 years ago?

Not just a great sight - the sound and energy given off by twenty-two Typhoons in formation was deeply moving.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 4

Not just a great sight - the sound and energy given off by twenty Tornadoes in formation was deeply moving.

Agreed - I do believe though that the '100' formation were Typhoons? (and there were 22 of them, being even more of a pedant!).

It was billed as 'up to 100 planes'. I count 90 from my pictures and I missed a couple of the formations so it could well have been spot on the 100. 

• Like 1

Agreed - I do believe though that the '100' formation were Typhoons? (and there were 22 of them, being even more of a pedant!).

It was billed as 'up to 100 planes'. I count 90 from my pictures and I missed a couple of the formations so it could well have been spot on the 100.

When the formation came over us in south Suffolk before getting to London, I counted 23 Typhoons followed by the Red Arrows. One Typhoon flew back over us at speed, at about 1210, possibly was a spare in case of a problem.

• RMweb Gold

Great photos and must of been a glorious sight

Not sure why every news report I have heard though says that it was the first public display of an F35. An F35 displayed at RIAT 2 years ago?

Watching the Beeb on TV they were saying first appearance of F35's over London which was correct (unless they stealthily flew over some other time!)

Agreed - I do believe though that the '100' formation were Typhoons? (and there were 22 of them, being even more of a pedant!).

Thanks - proves I can neither count not tell the difference between tropical storms!   (Post corrected).

Just watched the BBC coverage, it was a shame that the commentators were not watching a monitor as several times they were discussing aircraft not in camera...nevertheless less a great spectacle, must have been a planning nightmare.

Presumably Heathrow traffic would have been disrupted...

I worked on prototype Tornado engines during development in the seventies, now they are being retired next year, just like me last year....

• RMweb Gold

Just watched the BBC coverage, it was a shame that the commentators were not watching a monitor as several times they were discussing aircraft not in camera...nevertheless less a great spectacle, must have been a planning nightmare.

There's something strange about BBC coverage of flypasts at Buckingham Palace.  This seems to happen repeatedly where the commentators are talking to pictures on one monitor whilst we the viewers are seeing something else. 

There's something strange about BBC coverage of flypasts at Buckingham Palace.  This seems to happen repeatedly where the commentators are talking to pictures on one monitor whilst we the viewers are seeing something else. 

Ah, that's why the description I heard was incorrect. Not as bad as the Swansea Evening Post's recent aeroplane gaffe however, describing the twin-seat Hunter that was recently removed from Fairwood Aerodrome as an Anson. Where on earth did that come from?

It's good that someone shifted the Hunter, after many years standing in all weathers, it was beginning to suffer. It's been replaced by a GR1.

Wales Online still has this: '...The Tornado aircraft is a display model which has been recently reassembled and replaces a former Anson aircraft which was on display at the airport previously, until it went to a museum in France...'.

Ah well....

Tony

Edited by Prometheus

Presumably Heathrow traffic would have been disrupted...

Stopped as planned in advance.

No landings or take-offs for something like 30 minutes or more.

London City airport was also affected.

Looking at FlightRadar24 and another tracking app, it was incredibly strange to see absolutely no Heathrow bound aircraft anywhere over the whole of the SE of England, the Midlands or the English Channel.

At that time of day too!!!!

Not being able to get up to London for the event, I watched it on TV.

A pleasant surprise was that as the formations dispersed on their various pre-planned tracks, the historic Battle of Britain formation turned south towards Basingstoke, before splitting up.

The Dakota and Lancaster turned at Basingstoke and headed west, but the Spitfire and Hurricane formation headed for the south coast and Southampton.

A few minutes later they appeared at low level right over my house, not far from the Solent foreshore and then proceeded to orbit (circle) 3 times directly around us, before turning off to head for what looked like a low run up Southampton Water, towards the city centre.

The noise from the engines of the 5 aircraft circling our house in formation for several minutes was fantastic. 

What a sight and what an unexpected bonus.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 5