The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

3 hours ago, David Bell said:

More from Goodwood 2019

P1010994.JPG

P1010996.JPG

V tail bonanza , known as “ The lawyer killer “ in America I believe, as it’s well healed pilots who brought them , and then killed themselves flying them.

I’m not sure what handling characteristics led to this, or maybe the fact they had moved up from something a bit slower 

Intermodal transfer...............

11-1559.jpg.dbe60fbfa69411a24c8e9bcca980a319.jpg

I went to a couple of airshows in the USA in June 2011 whilst on a tour of the mid-west by car that basically consisted of a "join the dots" trip which ticked off a lot of places/events I wanted to visit.

Starting off at the Rockford, IL, airshow, I was rather taken aback by the rather more relaxed regulations that appeared to apply at American events compared to the UK. Nothing had prepared me for the Quad Cities airshow at Davenport, IA, which billed this passenger transfer from a Stearman to "Otto the helicopter" as one of the main attractions !

Yes, he did make the transfer safely, as I have another photo of him hanging on to one of the helicoper skids a matter of seconds later.

It was rather a sobering moment, about 12 months later, to read on the internet that the Stuntman in question had fallen to his death at another airshow whilst carrying out the same manouevre......

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A frame grabbed from video (hence a bit ragged) of a wingwalker at La Ferté Alais (near Paris) May 2002 on another Stearman.  He started the display on the top apparatus then walked onto one wing then across to the other, landed in the front cockpit then climbed on top again to take a bow along he crowdline.

Wingwalker 2002 May Paris 1 of 3 - Clip 178.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

A frame grabbed from video (hence a bit ragged) of a wingwalker at La Ferté Alais (near Paris) May 2002 on another Stearman.  He started the display on the top apparatus then walked onto one wing then across to the other, landed in the front cockpit then climbed on top again to take a bow along he crowdline.

Wingwalking is one thing, doing this when you transfer from a Stearman is another........

11-1561.jpg.464bb3b76f0dabc6f41f5c535f1520eb.jpg

....particularly when he is only holding on with his right arm and nothing else...

Edited by Johann Marsbar

Until very recently I had the good fortune to own a holiday house in Switzerland, in Wengen. From the balcony I got to watch the Patrouille Suisse plus Swissair Airbus do its annual show for the ski race and on an almost weekly basis see the Bretling Constellation and Dakota's flying over in the summer. This picture is also taken from the balcony of a Ju52. It flew so slow you thought it would fall out the sky!

20201209_101450.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2020 at 20:14, F-UnitMad said:

Seen over my house this afternoon (West Midlands) heading west to east, and very high. Obviously military to be so close together, but I've no idea what they are.

20201208_140209.jpg.4ba908a9f62e65edcda062909a78b056.jpg

Left to right:

Symphony, Melody, Destiny, Harmony.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

British United had bought three new VC10's, G-ASIW, G-ASIX and G-ATDJ.  By the time I had a camera the original colour scheme of dark blue with Union flag on the tail had gone.  G-ARTA was added to the fleet later. (Tks to RonRonRon for reminding me).

G-ASIX lands at Gatwick Sep70

G-ASIW also at Gatwick, June71

In due course G-ASIW became 7Q-YKH with Air Malawi, Heathrow Aug75

G-ATDJ became XX914 with the RAE, Heathrow Aug74

VC10 G-ASIX Gatwick Sep70.jpg

VC10 G-ASIW Gatwick June71.jpg

VC10 7Q-YKH ex G-ASIW LHR Aug75.jpg

VC10 XX914 ex G-ATDJ LHR Aug74.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

British United had three VC10's, G-ASIW, G-ASIX and G-ATDJ.  By the time I had a camera the original colour scheme of dark blue with Union flag on the tail had gone.

G-ASIX lands at Gatwick Sep70

G-ASIW also at Gatwick, June71

In due course G-ASIW became 7Q-YKH with Air Malawi, Heathrow Aug75

G-ATDJ became XX914 with the RAE, Heathrow Aug74

You've forgotten one.

BUA had four VC10's

In addition to the three you've noted, they also received the prototype G-ARTA in Jan 1969 and operated it until it was written off on the 28th January 1972, due to a vey heavy landing accident at Gatwick.

By that time, it was in BCAL livery.

Garta-bua-lgw-aug70.jpg

595bef9d197cad517cb22dbd82a8dd60.jpg  181117_800.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

You've forgotten one.

BUA had four VC10's

In addition to the three you've noted, they also received the prototype G-ARTA in Jan 1969 and operated it until it was written off on the 28th January 1972, due to a vey heavy landing accident at Gatwick.

By that time, it was in BCAL livery.

Quite right.  I should have said they ordered 3 from new and gained the other one later (I don't have a pic of 'RTA)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

It cannot be denied that the VC-10 is one the most graceful looking airliners of the 20th century.

Thanks for all those reminders of the fact.

steve.

Second (maybe) only to the Connie! This one was a USN photographed at NAD Souda Bay, Crete around 1972:

57368557_SoudaConnie.jpg.7e80695969ac3bc616336dbd34ac18e3.jpg

So graceful that it even "out-graces" Linda:

31639445_LushLife.jpg.8338383192f99bf788e9925c3e1089a6.jpg

Note: The Connie is the only reason that I bought the album; funny, I saw the Connie before I saw Linda! I did listen to it later and although it is not my type of music, I found the the Ronstadt/Riddle combination was quite good.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Second (maybe) only to the Connie! This one was a USN photographed at NAD Souda Bay, Crete around 1972:

57368557_SoudaConnie.jpg.7e80695969ac3bc616336dbd34ac18e3.jpg

So graceful that it even "out-graces" Linda:

31639445_LushLife.jpg.8338383192f99bf788e9925c3e1089a6.jpg

Note: The Connie is the only reason that I bought the album; funny, I saw the Connie before I saw Linda! I did listen to it later and although it is not my type of music, I found the the Ronstadt/Riddle combination was quite good.

One of my favourite albums, but I have to disagree regarding the Connie. The"hump-backed" look doesn't do it for me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One of my favourite albums, but I have to disagree regarding the Connie. The"hump-backed" look doesn't do it for me.

I always heard the Constellation was a aircraft designers wet dream rather than honed in a wind tunnel hence the odd fuselage shape and extra tail planes.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2