The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I always heard the Constellation was a aircraft designers wet dream rather than honed in a wind tunnel hence the odd fuselage shape and extra tail planes.

I always understood the tail design was driven by the need to have sufficient control surface/s and fit within the hangars of the day, though I've never ever seen a sketch or drawing of what the aircraft would have looked like with a single large tail.

• Like 2

Just to get some terminology correct, the tailplane generally refers to the horizontal stabilizer, the fin is the vertical stabilizer and the whole assembly is the empennage, or just the tail assembly.

There were plenty of aircraft in service at the same time as the Constellation with taller fins.

The fuselage must have been more expensive than a regular constant diameter fuselage to produce.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I always heard the Constellation was a aircraft designers wet dream rather than honed in a wind tunnel hence the odd fuselage shape and extra tail planes.

If that’s their wet dream, I wonder what their nightmares look like .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, brian daniels said:

Passed Fairford earlier this week just as this U2 was taking off to do circuits and bumps, bit lucky.

IMG_2160a.JPG

IMG_2209a.jpg

IMG_2242a.JPG

IMG_2320a.jpg

IMG_2327a.JPG

Nice, I’ve seen them do that a few times, as my cycle route takes me onto the nearest A419 bridge.

Fairford will be getting a lot busier soon when they base permanently some RC135 ( I think ) , electronic intelligence aircraft - if that plan has survived covid 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, big jim said:

There had got to be more wheels on it than that surely? 

It lands on the centre front and rear wheels, if it’s coming to a stop folk drive along side and then run out and attach out rigger wheels.

presumably for circuits , it touches briefly and goes , before any wingtip gets near the ground .

must be a nightmare in a crosswind , and I’d assume the book crosswind limit is pretty low .

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

It lands on the centre front and rear wheels, if it’s coming to a stop folk drive along side and then run out and attach out rigger wheels.

presumably for circuits , it touches briefly and goes , before any wingtip gets near the ground .

must be a nightmare in a crosswind , and I’d assume the book crosswind limit is pretty low .

Some taken in April 1997 at Beale AFB in California.

Overflight before landing...

97-200a.JPG.b92c25e79e70c36c47941f740e9a4dfe.JPG

Same aircraft taxying in to the apron - with outriggers attached...

97-201a.JPG.6e2f0bcf297e8dcdd22533130c2ecb7e.JPG

Two seater version....

97-202a.JPG.48759ff293ca73657d9a3d60792bcffa.JPG

They were rather more relaxed regarding photography there than I was expecting, given the ongoing conflict in the Balkans at that time where the U2's were being deployed. Our tour group was only discouraged from taking close up shots, though we even got the opportunity to sit in the cockpit of one if we wanted!

Even more interesting was that the tour included being shown the high altitude flight suits used and their operation. One of the group members was handed a space style helmet to hold and advised not to drop it as it cost something ludicrous like $300K !!

The USAF tour guide seemed more bemused when I asked him if the tour bus could stop for me to take a photo of this though....

97-206a.JPG.dae4e4df857ec29dd91c0643dc74ef6f.JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

There's an episode of Mythbusters where the lucky devil gets to fly in a 2-seat U2.  He had to spend a week in training learning how to use the flying suit (plus other tests).  I think the myth they were exploring was that it's the world's most difficult aircraft to fly.

I think the episode's online as it also explains the odd landing gear (basically doing everything in to save weight).

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

If that’s their wet dream, I wonder what their nightmares look like .

Well aircraft designers have little to express their flare with, a tin tube with a couple of sheets sticking out.....oh yes I know......where shall we put the smaller tubes? :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

There's an episode of Mythbusters where the lucky devil gets to fly in a 2-seat U2.  He had to spend a week in training learning how to use the flying suit (plus other tests).  I think the myth they were exploring was that it's the world's most difficult aircraft to fly.

I think the episode's online as it also explains the odd landing gear (basically doing everything in to save weight).

One of the more difficult to land , probably east to fly as a jet powered subsonic glider .

saw an interview with a USAF U2 pilot on YT and his background was on transports , so you don’t need to be a top gun or test pilot 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 5944 said:

Last I saw it had made 9 missed approaches at the airport! 

Almost certainly crew training. Newquay is one of the few airports in the uk that accommodate either circuit or multiple instrument approaches.

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

In the U. S. Navy, we called them "touch-n-go". Real fun watching them shoot touch-n-goes off a carrier!

"Touch-n-go" involves rubber contacting tarmac; with missed approaches there's no contact with the ground. Missed approaches are more commonly known as "Go Arounds", but missed approach is the correct term.

I believe Newquay is quite popular for crosswind landing (or just approach in this case) training, a bit like Shannon.

Cheers,

Mark

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mark Pelham said:

"Touch-n-go" involves rubber contacting tarmac; with missed approaches there's no contact with the ground. Missed approaches are more commonly known as "Go Arounds", but missed approach is the correct term.

I believe Newquay is quite popular for crosswind landing (or just approach in this case) training, a bit like Shannon.

Cheers,

Mark

When I was learning to fly (admittedly nearly 40 years ago) a "go-around" was intentional whereas a "missed approach" was unintentional. "Touch-and-goes" were avoided at some aerodromes that regarded them as landings (brief) and charged a landing fee for each one.