The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

When I was learning to fly (admittedly nearly 40 years ago) a "go-around" was intentional whereas a "missed approach" was unintentional. "Touch-and-goes" were avoided at some aerodromes that regarded them as landings (brief) and charged a landing fee for each one.

Certainly at Shoreham when I trained for my PPL around 15 years ago a touch-and-go was about half the cost of a full-stop landing. Often you would call ATC on approach 'for the option' which would be either a full-stop or touch-and-go; no fees for approach only.

Both a missed approach and go around are the same thing, and involve a choice to do so - on the big stuff once the decision is made, the call is 'go around' and often includes a change of flap setting in the call (except for windshear) then the missed approach procedure is followed per the Jepp charts, or per ATC if they intervene. The choice can either be by the pilots (weather, instability etc), or an instruction by ATC due to runway obstruction or lack of separation.

Cheers,

Mark

• Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

When I was learning to fly (admittedly nearly 40 years ago) a "go-around" was intentional whereas a "missed approach" was unintentional. "Touch-and-goes" were avoided at some aerodromes that regarded them as landings (brief) and charged a landing fee for each one.

Pretty much the same thing , but I think in terms of a “ missed approach “ being from an instrument approach because they’ll be a missed approach procedure .

a GA I associate more with a visual segment , or once visual .

Mr Boeing doesn’t care as he gives us TOGA buttons ( take off go around ) which get you going back up again if it’s all gone wrong 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mark Pelham said:

Both a missed approach and go around are the same thing

Thanks. I don't think I expressed myself as clearly as i intended..

According to my instructors in the early 80s, a "go-around" was when you had no intention of landing and were practicing your approach and climb out skills. A "missed approach" was when you started off intending to land ( whether "touch-and-go" or "full stop") but for whatever reason to had to change your mind and climb out without doing so.

I am aware that a good deal of terminology has changed in the intervening years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mark Pelham said:

"Touch-n-go" involves rubber contacting tarmac; with missed approaches there's no contact with the ground. Missed approaches are more commonly known as "Go Arounds", but missed approach is the correct term.

I believe Newquay is quite popular for crosswind landing (or just approach in this case) training, a bit like Shannon.

Cheers,

Mark

The last time I took off from Newquay......or RAF St Mawgan as it was then, I was laying flat in the observers pit in a Shackleton.........the first time you do that the effect on your stomach of staying low and then the cliff edge just drops away is quite interesting, pilots did it on purpose when they had fresh bods onboard :lol:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mark Pelham said:

"Touch-n-go" involves rubber contacting tarmac; with missed approaches there's no contact with the ground. Missed approaches are more commonly known as "Go Arounds", but missed approach is the correct term. ...snip...

Cheers,

Mark

These were real touch-and-goes, the landing sequence was complete except for the tailhook not being down.

We called the "Go Arounds" Bolters.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

The last time I took off from Newquay......or RAF St Mawgan as it was then, I was laying flat in the observers pit in a Shackleton.........the first time you do that the effect on your stomach of staying low and then the cliff edge just drops away is quite interesting, pilots did it on purpose when they had fresh bods onboard :lol:

I read somewhere once a pilot's story of the RAF Shackleton's air display routine at that time; it started with the pilot cutting back the throttles & aiming at the ground on initial approach. The sudden drop in noise & aircraft altitude was designed to grab spectator attention.

One time during the pre-season rehearsal this pilot had a new Bod with him, who was sat up in the nose, and was unaware of how the display started. This chap was calmly calling out time & distance to the start in his best impersonation of a WW2 bomb aimer, he calls out 'display start now, now now', and suddenly finds himself facing the ground at increasing speed, with ominously quiet engines. His calm patter deserted him, and whatever else he said on the flight was hysterical gibberish...

The pilot made a mental note to brief new crew fully next time. :mosking:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I read somewhere once a pilot's story of the RAF Shackleton's air display routine at that time; it started with the pilot cutting back the throttles & aiming at the ground on initial approach. The sudden drop in noise & aircraft altitude was designed to grab spectator attention.

One time during the pre-season rehearsal this pilot had a new Bod with him, who was sat up in the nose, and was unaware of how the display started. This chap was calmly calling out time & distance to the start in his best impersonation of a WW2 bomb aimer, he calls out 'display start now, now now', and suddenly finds himself facing the ground at increasing speed, with ominously quiet engines. His calm patter deserted him, and whatever else he said on the flight was hysterical gibberish...

The pilot made a mental note to brief new crew fully next time. :mosking:

Yep......strawberry jam time rushes through your head.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Probably my final tranche of Comets.

XV814 at Greenham Common June 1981 formerly G-APDF with BOAC and used in the Nimrod development programme.

G-APME at Glasgow Nov 1973, a Comet 4B originally with BEA, then BEA Airtours.

G-ARDI another 4B seen at Stansted 1970 my only Channel Airways Comet pic. She started life with BEA then became SX-DAO with Olympic Airways.

5Y-AAA of East African Airways at LHR Sept 1969 started life as VP-KRL

XX944 at Farnborough Sep 1978 originally G-APDP with BAOC then 9V-BBX with Malaysia-Singapore Airlines. Also involved in Nimrod development.  By this time she'd sadly flown her last approx 1 year earlier.

DH106 Comet XV814 Greenham Common June 81 air.jpg

DH106 Comet XV814 Greenham Common June81 ground.jpg

DH106 Comet 4B G-APME Glasgow Nov73.jpg

DH106 Comet 4B G-ARDI Stansted 1970.jpg

DH106 Comet 4 5Y-AAA LHR Sep69.jpg

DH106 Comet 4 XX944 Farnborough Sep78.jpg

• Like 12

On 16/12/2020 at 14:57, Metr0Land said:

Greenham Common June 1979

Avro Shackleton Greenham Common June 79.jpg

It is strange to think that while at school / atc the Shackleton was a very old aircraft. At 30~40 years old. If you include the Manchester as its original parent , then at the time of the above photo it was 40 years from its first flight. For a similar comparison with the current Typhoon , it is 34 years since the first flight of its parent (British Aerospace EAP).

All the best

Katy

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I always loved the spark plug on top....I'm sure someone will tell me what it was!

That was to be used to connect to Cloudbase where the Shackleton could refuel and recharge without having to land.

It would come up under Cloudbase and slot the plug in.

However as a typical British faux par - they forgot that Cloudbase was a fictional construct of Gerry Anderson, was manned by puppets and only a fraction of the size of a Shackleton.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Thanks.

9H-PPE has just gone over from Bournemouth to JFK. Getting busy before Christmas. Note the appropriate registration codes...

I did wonder about NHS - surely I thought there were more important matters to attend to than changing the registration on a plane so we know it is helping the NHS.  Does that mean 9H PPE can only carry PPE, it's not allowed to bring in medicines or ventilators or anything else not made of plastic.  To think in all this mess there are people who use this as an excuse to display their marketing skills.

• Agree 1

An example of a day that turned out quite different to what I had planned....

I saw there was a "Fleet Week" with 2 day airshow in Baltimore, MD in October 2016, which someone had decided would be the same time as Baltimore "Beer Week" - a handy bit of planning on someones behalf!

I booked a holiday to cover the last few days of both events, giving me time afterwards to get a rail season ticket to cover MARC passenger train services between Baltimore & Washington, amongst other things.

The airshow was scheduled for Sat/Sun, which was when most of the visiting ships were open to the public as well, so I decided to head out to Martin State Airport on the Friday to visit the air museum there. On arriving, I found that it was a lot of airshow related traffic arriving/departing for practice flights etc, so I never got to the museum. There was absolutely no security in place, so you could just stand by the terminal/apron and watch what was going on!

RCAF Hornet in British Commonwealth Air Training Plan colours just after arriving...

16-1472.jpg.22e7a036af2d3dee56641a5e9362b6e3.jpg

F22 Raptor arriving....

16-1486.jpg.8e01138842df4318e55e36bb60665c9e.jpg

Blue Angels returning from practice flights..

16-1497.jpg.648c25350f145455833dd8962955eee0.jpg

I ended up spending several hours there just watching what was going on, as there was an awful lot of activity taking place. The Blue Angels took off & returned from two training sorties whilst I was there.

I returned on the Saturday Morning to view the static displays that were there, and discovered seriously strict security in place, with fencing and airport style metal detectors to get into the place!

Was certainly glad I went on the Friday......

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Who remembers Court Line?  They caused quite a stir when Autair renamed themselves Court Line and painted their aircraft in all over bright colours, something very unusual for 1970.  Unfortunately it was a question of boom and bust,  After rapid expansion and getting a couple of Tristars the bubble burst.  They obtained the last airworthy Blackburn Beverley to transport Tristar engines around Europe but AFAIK never used it.  XB259/G-AOAI never entered service with the RAF, remaining with Blackburn as a development aircraft.  Unless anyone knows differntly the civil reg was never carried, always showing XB259.

BAC111's in pink green and yellow are seen at Luton in 1970. G-AXMF G-AXMG G-AXMH.

Yellow Tristar G-BAAA is at Luton in 1974.

Sorry looking pink G-BAAB is seen at Luton July 1975 after the collapse.

Beverley XB259/G-AOAI is also Luton, 1973

BAC111 G-AXMF Luton 1970qry.jpg

BAC111 G-AXMG Luton 1970qry.jpg

BAC111 G-AXMH Luton 1970.jpg

Lockheed Tristar G-BAAA Luton 1974.jpg

Lockheed Tristar G-BAAB Luton Jul75.jpg

Blackburn Beverley G-AOAI Luton 1973.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ostend, 1st August, 1969.   A day trip from Southend.  ATL-98 Carvair G-ASDC which had brought us to Ostend made ready for departure.  By co-incidence the only Bristol Britannia which I ever flew in, G-ANBI, was also present.  A friend who was in our group that day kindly gave me a copy of this photo.

2366274283_d2179b53cf_o.jpg

• Like 13
  • Funny 1