• RMweb Gold

I've got a feeling she'd had those odd buffers for years. I recall noticing a green unit in the 1960s with odd buffers. (CJL)

I remember a car in a Pressed Steel set receiving a very different from its norm buffer stock/head unit at Reading depot back in 1967 because it was the only one the depot had in stock.  The large diameter buffer head looked most odd on the opposite side from the usual 'squared off' pattern head.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi. I've just found this video on YouTube, which is of a ride on board a class 110 'Calder Valley' unit. It is the preserved three car set on the East Lancashire Railway. Many memories of journeys on these units have been brought back by this lovely video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwB8g9MtZUs

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, I had a ride on the NYMR today, and one of the trains was the three car class 101 DMU, Daisy. On the destination display was Kirkby! ;) There are three photo's here, which I took. One of the unit from the usual three quarters front view, and two interior shots of the DMSL.

post-22631-0-06330600-1524780728_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-43841400-1524780760_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-32391600-1524780797_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi. More from Thursday, 26th, April, 2018. I made a video of the complete journey from Pickering to Grosmont, sat behind the driver's cab on the class 101 DMU. I have divided the video up into four parts as follows:

Pickering to Levisham.

Levisham to Newtondale Halt.

Newtondale Halt to Goathland.

Goathland to Grosmont.You get to see the excellent North Yorkshire Moors National Park, as well as the driver at his work in the cab - something which you can no longer do of course.

Here is part one of that video from Pickering to Levisham. Enjoy.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Barmouth 108 - tick.  Bromborough 101 - it might have been an early one which had marker lights above the destination box and no 2 character headcode panels below the windscreen.  Bromborough 103 - tick.  Chester starburst - 108.  Man Vic - 104, probably allocated to Buxton at some time in its life.  Weymouth 117 - tick.

Chris 

The refurbished 101 in the picture was one of the "transition" batch numbered 50198 - 50209 with Driving Trailers 56050 - 56061 that followed on from the Met Camm vehicles up to 50197 that all had the "four lamp" cab front. The transition batch had the two outer marker lamps, a central two character headcode and a "stump" above the destination blind that would have carried the upper lamp, but never did. I presume the change from four lamps to two lamps+two character headcode was a last minute one, and that the factory had been well-on with building them on the assumption of using the four lamp style. Chester had two units from this batch that wore the refurbished "Blue Stripe" livery: 50206-56058 and 50208-56060.

Here's one from the stumpy batch

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/582

Edited to add photo link. And to add CH vehicle numbers.

Edited by EddieK
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Winwick Junction in 1996 (my photo). Some kind of test train?

image.jpeg.658965f89eed756e6bbb70d54d5d51b7.jpeg

Was a strange train that. The rear car had a small saloon, kitchen I think, workshop and generator.  The front had what can only be described as a theatre in main compartment,  lavatory and small saloon. 

It had on either end what were then high definition cameras and large screens either end of the saloon. It also had TL11 turbo engines which was strange when you pulled away as it had turbo scream like a 142.

My involvement with it was I used it as classroom in 97 as it the theatre was air conditioned . 

Not sure what became of it but was at Thornaby in 97 the year I left. I did take it for a few local runs to keep it's batteries charged 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ray M said:

A little bit of differance between those 2.

1 shows a pic of it at Warrington in 86

Yet the other says the unit was not complete tiil 91.

I think the Railcar page must be a typo and Warrington pic is 1996.

Mentions the unit being used for Route Learning i.e. after the ATP project had finished.

• Thanks 1

It was converted in the Engineering Development Unit at the Railway Technical Centre in Derby. That would have been late 1990/early 1991 as I was doing my training there at the time, and even did a little work on it although my memory is somewhat hazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, russ p said:

I was trying to think what it's original use was, cheers 

Hi Russ, do you mean what was it’s original use after passenger workings ? 

Some of the 114’s became Parcels units, hope this helps, apologies if it’s not what you meant.

Beat regards

Craig 

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hi Russ, do you mean what was it’s original use after passenger workings ? 

Some of the 114’s became Parcels units, hope this helps, apologies if it’s not what you meant.

Beat regards

Craig 

No sorry Craig,  it's first departmental use. I'm sure I must have known but I must have forgotten. 

I can't remember why it came to Thornaby or how it got there. It was probably as spares for 55012 but not a massive amount in common especially with TL11 engines.  I'm glad it got saved , probably didn't run again at Thornaby after I left in 97

• Like 1

That class 114 unit was a Transrail asset for a while and was often used for route learning.  We had it at Bescot for a while for route learning the Cambrian. Apart from the built in kitchen for cooking breakfast, it's best feature was a camera in each former destination blind facing forward.  This allowed staff on board to view the camera output on a big screen at the end of the "conference room" in the trailer car. Drawable curtains in the saloon to keep it cosy. IIRC there was a separate diesel genny in a compartment in the brakevan to supply the extra electrons. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

That class 114 unit was a Transrail asset for a while and was often used for route learning.  We had it at Bescot for a while for route learning the Cambrian. Apart from the built in kitchen for cooking breakfast, it's best feature was a camera in each former destination blind facing forward.  This allowed staff on board to view the camera output on a big screen at the end of the "conference room" in the trailer car. Drawable curtains in the saloon to keep it cosy. IIRC there was a separate diesel genny in a compartment in the brakevan to supply the extra electrons. 

There was a genny , which was quite noisy.  Think that was for the 240v supply. I'm trying to remember did it have seats behind each cab?

15 hours ago, russ p said:

I'm trying to remember did it have seats behind each cab?

I am also struggling to remember.

I have a feeling the "boardroom" area had loose chairs around the table and maybe the ones at the cab end could be turned round to face the cab. 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I am also struggling to remember.

I have a feeling the "boardroom" area had loose chairs around the table and maybe the ones at the cab end could be turned round to face the cab. 

Hard to believe its over 25 years.  I seem to remember the boardroom had fixed chapman seats the same as fitted to locos in 80s and 90s but with headrests as remember thinking why can't we have headrests 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

ob003261.jpg.66bf01e2811a392b47c2629b82014bd2.jpg

A gleaming Class 116 DMU skirts Kenrick Park as it approaches West Bromwich circa 1960 (my scan from a slide by the late John Evans)

The ex-GWR trackbed at this point now carries the Midland Metro and today the train would have just left the Kenrick Park stop.  Next would be Trinity Way and then West Bromwich Central.

Note that this image has appeared on this thread before, but was not correctly credited to John and myself!

Edited by franciswilliamwebb
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, keefer said:

@franciswilliamwebb that's a cracking photo!

There's just something about the condition/colour of the image that made me think it was a recent pic of a preserved set! 🙂

I know.  Unfortunately most of his colour slides are way too dark, but that one scans very nicely indeed 😎

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/03/2023 at 09:53, franciswilliamwebb said:

ob003261.jpg.66bf01e2811a392b47c2629b82014bd2.jpg

A gleaming Class 116 DMU skirts Kenrick Park as it approaches West Bromwich circa 1960 (my scan from a slide by the late John Evans)

The ex-GWR trackbed at this point now carries the Midland Metro and today the train would have just left the Kenrick Park stop.  Next would be Trinity Way and then West Bromwich Central.

Note that this image has appeared on this thread before, but was not correctly credited to John and myself!

Somewhere I spent the 1st 5 years of my life. It did look a bit different when I was growing up riding my bike down there in the 1980’s!

• Like 2