Peter, (or anyone)

Can I ask what the story of that brown and white one is please? I can see it reads South Yorkshire Transport, so presumably sponsored by S. Yorks CC. When/where/how/who etc? Was it inherited from the West Country or painted there?

Also, ahem (and I realise I might be shot for this), for someone who knows little about 1st G DMUs, what class is it please? I can distinguish only 2 1st G DMUs- class 101 and NOT-101. Thanks.

Peter, (or anyone)

Can I ask what the story of that brown and white one is please? I can see it reads South Yorkshire Transport, so presumably sponsored by S. Yorks CC. When/where/how/who etc? Was it inherited from the West Country or painted there?

Also, ahem (and I realise I might be shot for this), for someone who knows little about 1st G DMUs, what class is it please? I can distinguish only 2 1st G DMUs- class 101 and NOT-101. Thanks.

According to this photo on Flickr it is a Derby built class 114 set 53045 + 54004, and was the only set in this South Yorkshire colour

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/11583415043/in/photolist-iDA2Jt-a8dy43-aiLNEd-9Vim3u-qctE3j-smyK6T-s4dNCg-fLTpqq-fw9XoH-qQLtoz-6vZwMM-eagqjo-oW9Jhe-e6w2n3-siqjVH-e9nKyL-ds5zyN-eizbKE-onUVPK-qLxkMz-dDbWAt-nCQax1-7BriGE-rr8SxT-6vZfU6-96NHZu-dGmCKL-jS5XnB-eb6VTp-dwYQid-6vZwJe-rp2RTD-rz39B2-pAtn4q-dKp2as-o28kUi-edQqcj-dLbBNQ-8WTa5F-oUwpHq-fFcPNe-oE6y4B-8XE3q8-hhGFad-7FcCsy-pPmhRZ-gTmRCL-ofisk3-q4b2hU-dXVqFT

cheers

Peter, (or anyone)

As the previous posters have said, it was a class 114, also known as a Derby Heavyweight, unit. These were built on the long 64' underframes, unlike most of the lower density units (i.e. the ones that didn't have doors to every seating bay).

The colour scheme was based on the buses also run for the South Yorkshire PTE, and used entirely different shades of paint than the Western Region chocolate and cream, or the later pseudo-western livery used on the Pacers sent there (known as Skippers in the west).

• RMweb Gold

Hi , in 1984 the 114 gained the coffee and cream colours to celebrate 10 years of the South Yorkshire Passenger transport executive, for a while it had large side vinyls advertising same 53045 and 54004 were fleet numbers. Painted at Doncaster. Good pics show choc and cream had a white dividing line aka intercity blue grey livery  and inner ends were choc colour as well.

114s were lovely sets and despite power trailers quite nippy - I guess 2 big albion engines helped. DTCL heating being only  a diesel blower was a bit prone to suffer from flat batteries- as a guard a bit nippy in winter on the Snow hill - Shirley runs !

Robert  

I must admit to showing little interest in DMU's "back in the day". I do recall a long day on Sheffield in 82' being quite impressed by the modern aspects of Cl.123 / 124 units, looking like a proper set of coaches with their impressive frontal aspects. This is a very interesting thread thanks!

Regards

Guy

A regular Bristol to Weymouth working in the late evenings during the 1960's was a 3 car unit hauling a SR CCT or similar.

I was told by station staff at Westbury that the van contained Channel Islands mail. Does anyone have any photos of these workings?

• RMweb Gold

A regular Bristol to Weymouth working in the late evenings during the 1960's was a 3 car unit hauling a SR CCT or similar.

I was told by station staff at Westbury that the van contained Channel Islands mail. Does anyone have any photos of these workings?

SomewhereI I have a  colour slide of it in the 1970s but it was an exLMS BG behind a loco hauled Weymouth train.

Some DMU action from the 1980s in the Cardiff Valleys, starting with a view from Cardiff Central

post-7081-0-18382400-1475166147_thumb.jpg

Class 116 set C319 runs down into Cardiff Central with the 14.25 service from Treherbert to Barry Island, 14/4/83

post-7081-0-76464200-1475166554_thumb.jpg

Two class 116 sets at Llandaff, C316 on the left has just terminated on a morning commuter service from Cardiff,

C303 is calling on a southbound service headed for Cardiff, 26/6/81

post-7081-0-20995300-1475166733_thumb.jpg

Refurbished class 116 set C316 now crosses over to the down line ready to form a service back to Cardiff, 26/6/81

cheers

• Like 17

Some DMU action from the 1980s in the Cardiff Valleys, starting with a view from Cardiff Central

attachicon.gifscan0085.jpg

Class 116 set C319 runs down into Cardiff Central with the 14.25 service from Treherbert to Barry Island, 14/4/83

attachicon.gifscan0192.jpg

Two class 116 sets at Llandaff, C316 on the left has just terminated on a morning commuter service from Cardiff,

C303 is calling on a southbound service headed for Cardiff, 26/6/81

attachicon.gifscan0193.jpg

Refurbished class 116 set C316 now crosses over to the down line ready to form a service back to Cardiff, 26/6/81

cheers

Home turf.

Llandaff (for Whitchurch) dosen't look much like that now.

Brian R

PS

Correctly located in Llandaff North, and properly pronounced "Thlan-daffff" - why not be like a local and call it "Landuff"

• RMweb Gold

Home turf.

Llandaff (for Whitchurch) dosen't look much like that now.

Brian R

PS

Correctly located in Llandaff North, and properly pronounced "Thlan-daffff" - why not be like a local and call it "Landuff"

The place where I caught a little scrote cheerfully trying to set fire to the embankment - the silly little beggar ran and I followed him (at a slightly slower rate) but he was obviously a bit dim as he went straight home, and into one of the houses along the road at the top of the embankment visible in those pics.  So I went and knocked on the door, several times, until he finally got up the courage to answer it and explain that (happily it seemed) that both his parents were out.  So I made it very clear to him that if during the school holidays then starting there was any vandalism, or any youngsters trespassing anywhere in that area I would be round with the police to his house and would start by having him arrested and that it was up to him to make sure he and his mates stayed outside the fence for the holidays and beyond.

He must have been a bit bigger than all his mates because we went through the entire summer holiday with no trouble at all in that vicinity.

• Like 5

Barmouth 108 - tick.  Bromborough 101 - it might have been an early one which had marker lights above the destination box and no 2 character headcode panels below the windscreen.  Bromborough 103 - tick.  Chester starburst - 108.  Man Vic - 104, probably allocated to Buxton at some time in its life.  Weymouth 117 - tick.

Chris 

No numbers or specific dates 'cos I'm rubbish at keeping records, but I've tried to state the location, rough date, and guessed the class number (I'm not 100% when it comes to DMUs).

Here goes - hope they're of interest to some anyway...

Good work there Billy

cheers

Barmouth 108 - tick.  Bromborough 101 - it might have been an early one which had marker lights above the destination box and no 2 character headcode panels below the windscreen.  Bromborough 103 - tick.  Chester starburst - 108.  Man Vic - 104, probably allocated to Buxton at some time in its life.  Weymouth 117 - tick.

Chris 

Thanks for taking the time to go through my ramblings and for the info! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Waggon & Maschinenbau, "brau" is perilously close to "Bräu" aka "brew" ;)

Thank you for correcting the spelling.

I wasn`t sure of the spelling, so I checked it on the KWVR website and that is how it is spelt there.

Peter

This was certainly how the mail went from the Sorting Office next to Temple Meads when I did the Christmas Post in 1974; I recollect it was a late afternoon/early evening working.

• RMweb Premium

Noticed the damage to the front of the 103s - IIRC this came up on photos on other units, apparently due to unhooking the air pipe before shutting off the cock?

(It was a while ago, so I my just be talking cock)

• RMweb Gold

Noticed the damage to the front of the 103s - IIRC this came up on photos on other units, apparently due to unhooking the air pipe before shutting off the cock?

(It was a while ago, so I my just be talking cock)

There's a star valve in the air pipe, it has to be connected to a loco main res pipe when being assisted so the final drive can be locked in neutral, it shouldn't whip about when disconnected