Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

11-12 feet long and 5 foot at the widest part. Would be nice to have more space, not for the layout but to move between the sections you understand!

Also bare in mind I have no intention of running full length trains.

There will only be one side of the station and then only a short length of that. It's the warehouse that grabbed my attention.

post-8964-0-41136100-1452277031_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good job Al. If anyone hasn't seen Al,s Bakewell thread he has a talent for tackling all sorts of modeling jobs with in depth detail.

The lining got applied to my Bachmann K3/1 conversion last night. A very tedious job to say the least. It's a vast improvement on the "out of the box" version which was lacking all lining above the foot plate. Still need to do the tender, will make time today!
post-8964-0-91020100-1452454280.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It's all looking lovely mate. I'd offer to get you some shots from Bradford now but the area around Exchange has changed beyond all recognition and nothing of what is in your shots remains from what I've seen. Both of Bradford's stations are mere shadows of what they once where and both have also been moved a short distance from their original locations. Forster Square is a modern three platform affair with no charm other than the grubby and huge retaining walls, seeing nothing but EMU's for Skipton, Ilkley and Leeds. Interchange is no better really, other than having services for destinations furth afield.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason.

Thanks! Google earth was a great tool when I built Goathland alas as you say there's not much there now. The problem I realized was that I have chosen to model the L&Y side of the station and not the Great Northern side. Pictures on the internet can be deceptive as most of them date from BR days and show ER and LMR locos alongside each other which is great from a modeling point of view but confusing nun the less.  There's even lattice post signals mixed with LMS tubular types. The station was a very interesting place, solely because of its two halves!  If only I had more space huh!!  

The plan I have made includes passing loops hidden behind the warehouses so running LMR trains is still totally feasible. The GNR services can enter direct from Queensbury and terminate.

When I just feel like watching the trains go by That's possible too!    

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening Shaun, lovely work on the K3 mate, just needs heavily weathering now,  hahahha.

Thanks Andy. Beware this joke might start a debate on how clean/dirty secondary locomotives were allowed to get before the war. Even during the war gangs of girls were set to work cleaning them and we all know women are better at cleaning than guys.

Mrs. S. is vacuuming as I type and I thought I'd made a good job of it yesterday! 

I, of course, would say that you have modelled the proper side of the station :)

Totally agree. I could flip the plan and model the other side of course.  It's this warehouse and hordings  I,m excited to build!

post-8964-0-85159600-1452465642.jpgpost-8964-0-91149600-1452465657_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Morning Shaun,

Just wanted to say how good the kitchen woodwork looked mate, superb fit!

The exchange buildings do look like they would make lovely models, but I hope you've got plenty of space to accommodate them?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jock. I hope that you are recovering well from your operation mate.

Am working on painting the next part of the kitchen cupboards and will take a break from the kitchen when this part is finished, hopefully to get some serious modeling done!

Space is a big concern with these plans and it might come down to a case of less is more! The idea is that in cities land was at a premium so we end up with cramped conditions. Public buildings, housing, commercial, canals and railways all become quite jumbled and recreating it convincingly is going to be hard.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that the K3/1 conversion is nearing completion I took a few minutes today to mess with a posse of Dapol figures seeing as a driver and fireman will soon be needed.

Their heads have all been swapped to add a little variation. The two far right are from the platform figures set. As can be seen one of them now dons a railway mans cap and has given up his lunch box in favor of a shovel. The ganger on the far right has received the same. Driver Doug (third from right) severed his arm at the shoulder poor chap. We managed to reattach it albeit in a more raised position so he can reach the whistle. The little molding flash was scraped away with the scalpel.

Fixed to a section of packing band with tacky putty (Blue tack) they are now ready to get a dusting with grey rattle-can primer and a coat of matt black.

post-8964-0-53444600-1453166739_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just in the right mood for a bit of figure painting today Andy!

The men have been painted black and the other colours will be dry brushed on so that the black shows up as shadows, war gamer style! This is a bit of an experiment for me, something I've been meaning to try for years.

MEN IN BLACK.

post-8964-0-87337800-1453235378_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I'd be happy to Duncan.

Cutting off the heads is easy enough, just need a nice clean cut upwards from the chin across the collar with a sharp blade.

Trim off any tiny bits.

Attach the body parts with strong liquid poly. I use Revell contacta.

I should point out that soft plastics such as that used with old Airfix figures such as the civilians set don't react with the liquid polys. The only method I have come up with to hold heads from these miniatures is to drill a hole and insert a wire down through the top of the head into the neck. A drastic operating procedure!

Here's some paras that are getting the head swapping treatment which show how different poses etc. help building an army with no two the same is possible.

Top row are the originals, with the modified crew below!

post-8964-0-23450600-1453237797.jpg

regards Shaun

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I too will be interested how your figures turn out, as I recently did a few myself using the Dapol set.

I hand painted mine, using Humbrol Acrylics No.230 PRU Blue and No.96 RAF Blue for the uniform, and then dry brushed Humbrol RC401 Matt Dirty Black over the top.

post-17302-0-67022400-1453242007_thumb.jpg

The painted figure shown was attacked with a pair of round-nosed pliers to bend the body so that he's leaning out of the window more...

I thought I'd taken more photos than that, but this is the only one I could find.

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This took a bit longer than I thought. Worth it in the end.

I used the RAF blue as well! The enamel version which must be 25 years old mixed with Luftwaffe underside blue (even older) to give different tones on each guy.

post-8964-0-62648200-1453254150_thumb.jpg

In different light.

post-8964-0-91139100-1453254219_thumb.jpg

First I dry brushed the skin tone and added a touch of Humbrol 73 mixed in with the flesh to add a more peuce colour to the cheeks, noses and hands assuming it's a cold day or the loco crews have worked up a sweat!

post-8964-0-14301600-1453254165_thumb.jpg

The clothing colours went on next dry brushing and building up the paint in layers avoiding the creases, arm pits and where two items of clothing overlap.

Lastly using an O brush I touched in the details such as tools(Humbrol gun metal), belt buckles(a mix of gold and gun metal), Neck Ties(lipstick red crafters acrylic) and cap badges(silver).The blonde hair is a yellowy sandstone acrylic with white dry brushed over.

post-8964-0-44007500-1453254182_thumb.jpg

Next time I'll get some quick dry wood filler in some of the molding divots as seen below.

The other lesson is to wear my glasses when doing the scalpel/file work.

post-8964-0-76104700-1453254196.jpg

This one shows the "old school" method alongside the war-gamers method.I'll show how to remove the bases when I do that.

post-8964-0-22659400-1453261660_thumb.jpg

Now I want to get back to the Bachmann K3/1. The details on this were painted while the tins were open and the brushes wet!

post-8964-0-40947900-1453254242.jpg

Lastly a super macro shot. Note the coal glued on the shovel!

post-8964-0-10386800-1453254258_thumb.jpg

Also the retaining wall for Goathland has been painted which I used as a back drop above. I recall Jock asking me to show a step-by-step and I have taken pictures so my next post will be that my friend.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Those figures have really turned out superbly, I must try that technique myself, they look far better than mine.

Brilliant job mate.

In contrast to you though, I have to take my glasses off when doing the fiddly stuff!

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Those figures have really turned out superbly, I must try that technique myself, they look far better than mine.

Brilliant job mate.

In contrast to you though, I have to take my glasses off when doing the fiddly stuff!

Al.

Thank you Al.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!  It's the high glucose levels that effect my sight. Some times I need the bifocals and not other times, the lens of your eyes are a liquid so when my blood sugars go up the glucose spills over into the other body's liquids. I find it improves in the summer when I get more exercise! 

G'day Gents

Very nice, but you missed there bootlace's or are they wearing clogs (LOL)

manna

Oops! I'll try cat hair, there seems to be plenty of that lying about mate!