Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Hi Shaun,

I've been following your thread for a year or so, wonderful modelling, and last week I took a day out to look through the whole thing from page1. Not only first rate modelling but all kinds of information disseminated throughout the thread.

I did notice one really weird model on page 9 from Oct 2013, Hogsmeade from CGraham in which there stands a triple decker bus! I'm sure no such thing ever existed in real life, perhaps a bit of humour there. Not suitable for narrow twisty roads or low bridges.

Here in north Lancashire we've been having a monsoon not unlike Oregon, I guess the climate is fairly similar being a north western coastal area.

I will continue to follow your thread with interest and admiration and take some more time to see your other thread

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Edward [currently ensconced in sunny Arkansas]

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun, a really great Video,  Just off out with the Dogs and I 'll have another look when I get back.

It did look  superb though mate.

All the best.

Makes you want to buy one of those Sony minicamps huh!

I've not been walking my dogs much due to severe weather!

Shaun

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun, what a great video which really shows the layout, and your modelling skills to perfection. All the best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian, Just wish I had more time for modeling. All my time this week has been taken up making Mrs. Sasquatches Chrimbo pressie, a solid alder writing bureau with celtic paneling. Sore fingers or what!

Regards Shaun.  

• RMweb Premium

Shaun,

Although I have seen lots of pictures of the layout and 'know' its size it is was not until this video that I really understood.  To think that you did all of it is quite really impressive.

Thanks Chris.

Am itching to get the next bit underway and move on to the big section with all the mills and warehouses. Must move away from the desire to build stock and make more buildings and railway infrastructure!

Regards Shaun 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun,

I've been following your thread for a year or so, wonderful modelling, and last week I took a day out to look through the whole thing from page1. Not only first rate modelling but all kinds of information disseminated throughout the thread.

I did notice one really weird model on page 9 from Oct 2013, Hogsmeade from CGraham in which there stands a triple decker bus! I'm sure no such thing ever existed in real life, perhaps a bit of humour there. Not suitable for narrow twisty roads or low bridges.

Here in north Lancashire we've been having a monsoon not unlike Oregon, I guess the climate is fairly similar being a north western coastal area.

I will continue to follow your thread with interest and admiration and take some more time to see your other thread

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Edward [currently ensconced in sunny Arkansas]

Welcome to the thread Edward.

Quite a feat reading all that! You may have read it before but although the thread is all over the place it's all the same project and one day it will all come together!

The bus on Clays layout is of the night bus from "Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban"! ( I miss riding on double deckers).

Our weather has turned crazy this week. 8" of rain, snow and trees down!

What brings you to the States? or are you just escaping from stormy N.E. England??

Seasons greetings Shaun 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hahahaaa. Andy.

You got it all back to front mate. I hash up  Mrs.S. something pretty from scraps, score several hundred brownie points and I think she got me a nice shiny silver grey A4. Just need to keep the keys to my workshop hidden!! :drag:

I was going to add a picture I took this afternoon a mile or two up the road with the dogs of 8"s of snow but the blue tooth seems to have given up on the tap flop. 

Shaun

• Like 3

Hi Shaun,

I came to the States in 1991 to work at a firm who made layflat hose [like you see on fire trucks] to help them get a new plant running and stayed there for several years. My wife is Pennsylvania born and bred but had got totally fed up with winters there, we were in the snow belt just south of Erie. I retired, she found a job in Little Rock AR so that's where we are. I spend part of the year here and part near Lancaster UK. To be honest AR is way too hot for me in mid summer but preferable to England in winter. I guess the Oregon climate is not too dissimilar to NW England, we just had a monsoon there which flooded Lancaster, the Lake District and part of the Lune valley but not so badly as Oregon suffered. I live in the country 5 miles east of Lancaster in the Lune valley next to the now defunct Midland line from Morecambe to Wennington.

I should have realised the H Potter connection from the layout name of Hogsmeade, not too familiar with it so I didn't get the meaning of the treble decker bus! I share your enthusiasm for them, when I use the bus I always go on the upper deck and enjoy the view.

Edward

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas to all my RMweb friends, followers of the Goathland thread and all RMwebers.

A little late due to being far too busy at present. We had a snow storm come in yesterday and lost our internet connection! At least it was a white Christmas. It snowed a little this morning too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Shaun,

Sorry I'm so late with this but you've probably noticed elsewhere that I've had some health issues and I'm currently convalescing after a hernia operation and trying to catch up.

I just wanted to wish you and Mrs S a Happy and Prosperous 2016,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Al, Chris, Duncan, Jock and every one else. A happy New Year to you all!  

This Thread has dried up a little of late but don't despair. Sasquatch means to come out of hibernation early and get cracking on the layout.

On the kitchen front we have moved back in (HORRAY). Much still to do. Life has been interesting to say the least, some mornings the dishes which we have been doing in our outside laundry room have been frozen together!

As for modeling nothing has been going on. I want to move on from making signals and get started on base boards for Queensbury. All funds will be channeled into acquiring more rails, point motors, switches and no doubt plywood. 2016 is Queensbury time!!! I also want to make new doors for the warehouse and start on the mill town section.

My plan for the warehouse has changed a little. Queensbury will need to be compressed just a bit more and a scenic break will cross into a representation of Bradford Exchange. If I had more space both L&Y and GNR sides of the station could be modeled but my plans are ambitious enough as it is so just the L&Y side will be constructed with the railway goods warehouses and the Great Victoria Hotel as the back drop. Hopefully some advanced base board construction, scratch built structure modeling and scenic work will dominate this thread.

Here's the plan for Bradford. Jumping the gun here but I feel I need to post something and no doubt some of you will find it interesting.

An aerial photo highlighting the area I want to model.

post-8964-0-30442000-1452047938_thumb.jpg

Nineteenth century map. Note the two turn tables.

post-8964-0-73280600-1452047921.gif

My plan. All twisted and compressed to fit my available space.

post-8964-0-32489900-1452047841_thumb.jpg

The atmosphere I'm aiming at.

post-8964-0-53020200-1452047963_thumb.jpg

...and the Great Victoria Hotel. Note this is the front, I'll be modeling the back.

post-8964-0-87376500-1452047983_thumb.jpg

Shaun.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Wow Shaun, there's nothing like starting a new year off with a bang!

That looks an incredibly ambitious plan, although well within your capabilities, I'm sure, but blimey, I see what you mean about needing more points and track! :O

This will be an awesome layout if you pull it off, and I can just see that atmospheric grotty inner-city station. A bit of a change from Goathland and Dunster!

Brilliant, mate, look forward to seeing it develop.

Al.

• Like 1

Morning Shaun, that's no small Model Railway, that's a mega project.

Glad to here the Kitchens almost done mate, total nightmare I expect.

I've fitted the Ground Dolls you made on Pencarne last night and some very favourable comments from its followers, so well done and THANKS AGAIN.

All the best for 2016 and Beyond.

• Like 4

Hi Shaun,

Hadn't heard from you in a while, I was wondering how the weather had been with you. We had a fair bit of rain here in AR but unseasonably warm, upper 70s some days in Dec., back to normal winter temps now. The Arkansas and Mississippi rivers have caused a lot of flooding with near record levels last weekend.

So a new layout starting, quite a different setting, I look forward to watching it become reality!

Cheers,

Edward

Morning Shaun,

As Al said WOW! That really is a major project in the making, although I'm confident that the skill you have demonstrated will allow you to pull it off. Like your other 'followers', I will now be anticipating lots of ideas worth copying on your thread as the layout develops. Good to hear that the kitchen is almost complete - pretty sure Joanna would have been less understanding about waiting that long. (Strange really as I do most of the cooking!). Looking forward to this new one very much - will you put a link to the new thread below this one?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow. So many replies!

Thank you for all of your encouragement.

The Bradford Exchange project might be quite a bit further down the road. If I could I'd start it today! Queensbury has to be first though and remember Goathland still isn't finished.

Jock. Mrs. S. says she grew up in a house that was always under construction so she's used to it! I too do most of the cooking, another interest of mine! So I have missed the kitchen. 

Here's where we're at. It has solid alder fronts concealing mostly pull outs on soft self closing runners.

post-8964-0-42852900-1452192422.jpg 

Before and after pics.

post-8964-0-82972300-1452192385.jpgpost-8964-0-49859600-1452192402_thumb.jpg

Edward, our weather has turned milder. Yesterday I attempted to climb the mountain behind us. About half way I had to admit defeat due to 6" of snow at 2500' mud and ice, the dogs enjoyed themselves though! This morning it's freezing fog!

Al. Some encouragement in the form of temporary ground signals. This is one of the LMS ones I originally offered to Andy!

post-8964-0-31769400-1452192990_thumb.jpg

To finish off here's a pic of the layout.

post-8964-0-30824100-1452193027_thumb.jpg

The long awaited LNER loco lining I ordered to finish off my Bachmann K3/1 conversion arrived yesterday so I will be doing some modeling this evening. Results tomorrow.

Regards Shaun

• Like 8