BR North Eastern Region Building Colours

silverlink

Guest royal signals

Hi try googling for stationcolours.info, there is a website out there and i have it in my bookmarks

but do not know how paste the URL for it

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Just type...station Colours in Google a fantastic site with photos and colour recommendations

http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_4_LNER

At the bottom of the page. Off white upper part to buildings, light blue lower half, along with drain pipes, doors, station seats and tangerine signs. 

Can anyone tell me what colour BR North Eastern Region painted its railway buildings in the late 50's early 60's. I,m looking for doors, windows, guttering & bargeboard colours.

Cheers

Ian H

It was called "Oriental Blue".  I don't know if there's a B.S. number for this so you might have to mix something.

Ray.

Many thanks for your replies guys,

I'm up to speed with BR regional colours ie: North Eastern Region Tangerine, Eastern Dark Blue  as some one has mentioned and I've seen wooden buildings here in the North East painted cream & blue but can't remember seeing what colour was used on brick build structures. From memory on the NYMR Goathland is all maroon whereas Pickering & Grosmont seem to have a predominance of Cream & Blue!

Ian  

• RMweb Gold

Are these photos any use?  All taken by Dad in 1967.

The first 4 are on Agfa film, which gives a very slight green colourcast, the last one is on Ektachrome which gives a slight blue cast.

post-5613-0-49516300-1473416473_thumb.jpg

Starbeck July 67 J972

post-5613-0-37812900-1473416424_thumb.jpg

Snaith Class 37 D6740 eastbound Aug 67 J1076

post-5613-0-44718200-1473416413_thumb.jpg

Pannal Class 101 Harrogate to Liverpol Lime St Sept 67 J1109

post-5613-0-94568000-1473416418_thumb.jpg

Riccall South Clas 101 Selby to York Sept 67 J1112

post-5613-0-97055700-1473416407_thumb.jpg

Cattal Oct 67 J1172

PS On the NYMR I think the "maroon" at Goathland is because it is painted in North Eastern Railway colours, a sort of brownish red.

David

I think the blue used at Grosmont is too pale, although DaveF's photos show quite a bit of variation (look at the variation between the signal box walls and the access steps at Snaith West - the steps look to me to be nearer the shade of blue when freshly painted). The railings on Cinder Lane near the NRM in York still show remnants of Oriental Blue paint where the newer paint layers have peeled off. I have a few flakes kept for colour reference!

Humbrol 89 is my paint of choice for this application.

I think the problem with the period colour schemes used at the various preserved lines is that they're either too bright and clean, and because regular steam services are not run all day long, day in day out, they don't end up covered in soot and grime like they did back in the day.

I think the blue used at Grosmont is too pale, although DaveF's photos show quite a bit of variation (look at the variation between the signal box walls and the access steps at Snaith West - the steps look to me to be nearer the shade of blue when freshly painted). The railings on Cinder Lane near the NRM in York still show remnants of Oriental Blue paint where the newer paint layers have peeled off. I have a few flakes kept for colour reference!

Humbrol 89 is my paint of choice for this application.

The door in the shade on the Up side at Starbeck looks more the way I remember it!

Mark Saunders

I think the problem with the period colour schemes used at the various preserved lines is that they're either too bright and clean, and because regular steam services are not run all day long, day in day out, they don't end up covered in soot and grime like they did back in the day.

Also, paint technology has moved on considerably and will be much more stable when exposed to UV from sunlight and 'weather' in general.

Edit: corrected spelling of weather. :)

...although not everything was painted blue and cream, many stations and buildings in what had once been the central division of the old North Eastern Railway retained green and cream right through the 50s and 60s...as here at Barnard Castle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5809378730/in/album-72157626909157358/

Longbenton Station - on the North Tyneside loop was the last station ever opened by the LNER.

Colouring is a brownish-red textured brick. Cream-coloured stone detailing and a light cream stuccoed entrance etc. Ironwork including the canopy valances is the darkish blue favoured for most things LNER.

I speak in the present tense because on account of it being bright and shiny new when the fairy godmother scattered her magic pixie dust and turned it into a British Railways station nobody saw the immediate necessity of repainting it and then as the years went on nobody could be bothered. As a result, although faded and rusted the canopy valances are still LNER blue - and a long way removed from that oriental blue.

While the station does have an excuse for retaining the LNER paintwork I really can't see it having been a sole survivor.

Re NYMR: The stations are painted differently to reflect different eras of the life of the line.

Goathland being circa 1920s

Grosmont being circa 1950s

Levisham being circa 1910s

So if you are going to use the NYMR as a colour guide you will need to be mindful of the era each is set in.

At Whitby according to a conservation document, they found an original NER door and decided to strip it down and repaint it (finding the wood in good condition one assumes). The top coat was a sort of NER Royal blue (recent) and many layers of black or another very dark colour before finally getting down to (L)NER era. From what I can remember of that branch in the 1980s all the doors at Whitby and Middlesborough- the only two still in BR ownership- were black and probably hadn't been painted in 20 years judging by the state of some of them. I don't know if that's any help and how typical that is for the BR(NE) region.

Many thanks for your replies guys,

I'm up to speed with BR regional colours ie: North Eastern Region Tangerine, Eastern Dark Blue  as some one has mentioned and I've seen wooden buildings here in the North East painted cream & blue but can't remember seeing what colour was used on brick build structures. From memory on the NYMR Goathland is all maroon whereas Pickering & Grosmont seem to have a predominance of Cream & Blue!

Ian  

Archived