The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clapham Common station taken over by cats

Paul.Uni

The title of this thread is way up there with a newspaper headline that my brother spotted, and kept on his bedroom wall, when we were kids: Killer Fleas With Guns.

I had visions or commuters being turned-away, by threatening looking moggies muttering: "Nuffin' for you to see 'ere, Guv!".

Or, perhaps, I thought, DfT has decided to franchise the place out to cats, having had bitter experience with the entity that currently calls itself Southern Railways, but I've just realised that this is the Underground station.

K

Actually, this may be more sinister than it first appears ........ It seems that cats are taking over metro stations on a global basis:

"On Sunday 3,000 people gathered in Kinokawa City to mourn Tama after she passed away last week. If you've neard heard of Tama before, she was the popular station master of the Wakayama Electric Railway station in Yishi. Also, she was a cat.

After the station suffered severe budget cuts in 2006 and let its last human Yishi station staff member go, the railway company put Tama, a stray cat who hung around the place, in charge."

According to Wikipedia, this Japanese cat actually had two assistants, also both cats, to help run the station.

K

Actually, this may be more sinister than it first appears ........ It seems that cats are taking over metro stations on a global basis:

"On Sunday 3,000 people gathered in Kinokawa City to mourn Tama after she passed away last week. If you've neard heard of Tama before, she was the popular station master of the Wakayama Electric Railway station in Yishi. Also, she was a cat.

After the station suffered severe budget cuts in 2006 and let its last human Yishi station staff member go, the railway company put Tama, a stray cat who hung around the place, in charge."

According to Wikipedia, this Japanese cat actually had two assistants, also both cats, to help run the station.

K

There is now another station master cat on duty at Yishi.

• RMweb Premium

K

If you watch NHK their Japan Railway Journal has featured stationmaster cats more than once.

There is even a station building shaped like a cat's head at Tama (Yishi):

http://i.cdn.travel.cnn.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_large/public/2013/05/21/main-tama-station.jpg?itok=0wMAsdUL

Keith

Archived