The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Sardine and tomato paste

cheesysmith

• RMweb Premium

I love sardine and tomato paste, but have not been able to find it on the supermarket shelves for a few weeks now. Does anybody know where it`s gone?

Also, is anybody else having problems finding your favorite foodstuffs anymore?

Hi Chessy

One of my customers dogs is staying with me at the moment and she has pilchards in tomato sauce for breakfast. From wikithingy "Sardine" and "pilchard" are common names used to refer to various small, oily fish within the herring family of Clupeidae. So could you be looking at the wrong labels.

Only last night my mum was moaning about her partner Pete spilling the tomato sauce found in tins of sardines/pilchards down his shirt. It took three washes to get it out. Perhaps it is her moaning about having to wash Pete's shirt three times had made them withdraw your well loved fish.

Our cats get sardines in tomato sauce as a weekend treat. We have to mash the fish into a paste or the chunks get dragged around the floor. Oddly enough the sauce is preferred to the fish and disappears first with much slurping and chop licking.

As for unobtainable foods, what on earth's happened to Marmite? It was always flavourless rubbish here in Oz but now the British variety has gone the same way. Fortunately we have a local alternative reminiscent of proper British Marmite (no, not Vegemite, which is, if anything, even worse) so it could be worse.

• RMweb Gold

Our cats get sardines in tomato sauce as a weekend treat. We have to mash the fish into a paste or the chunks get dragged around the floor. Oddly enough the sauce is preferred to the fish and disappears first with much slurping and chop licking.

As for unobtainable foods, what on earth's happened to Marmite? It was always flavourless rubbish here in Oz but now the British variety has gone the same way. Fortunately we have a local alternative reminiscent of proper British Marmite (no, not Vegemite, which is, if anything, even worse) so it could be worse.

ISTR a thread on Marmite in Australia hereabouts, it was something to do with the ingredients which were considered very unhealthy to kangaroo worriers.

Mike.

...sardine and tomato paste, ...

Got to be on a controlled substances list by now, surely?

In my childhood we had one such paste (specific contents forgotten and irrelevant) go off in the larder while away on holiday for a month in what was a relatively hot summer. Must have had a pinprick seal failure or something, and it did 'go off', in both the odoriferous and hand grenade senses. Dad actually replaced the entire wooden linings and door of the larder to eliminate the persistent honk, and we later that year used the polluted scrap wood to give GF an odour-eliminating send off. It didn't burn with an odd coloured smoke, somewhat to my disappointment. I had to wait for serious chemistry to learn how to make that happen.

• RMweb Gold

This and similar products (I have an occasional hankering after the Beef & Onion one) disappeared from our local T***o around the same time.

Well, I think they did. I can't be certain because the b****rs have been moving stuff around again, it took me over 5 minutes to find a jar of honey earlier. Soup is now where the honey used to be so at least I didn't have to waste time hunting for that, too. :jester:

PITA

John  

The stuff is shown on the Tesco Online grocery site, and Sainsbury also advertise their own brand on their online website.  Asda on the other hand don't do any of the "traditional" sandwich pastes on their website.  Good job I'm not a huge fan as guess which online retailer is the only one to deliver to my door in Fairbourne.

I must admit though sandwich paste is nice on toast.

The stuff is shown on the Tesco Online grocery site, and Sainsbury also advertise their own brand on their online website.  Asda on the other hand don't do any of the "traditional" sandwich pastes on their website.  Good job I'm not a huge fan as guess which online retailer is the only one to deliver to my door in Fairbourne.

I must admit though sandwich paste is nice on toast.

Asda do list about 18 types of bottled sandwich paste in the website for online delivery, they split into fish and meat types.

Stephen

Asda do list about 18 types of bottled sandwich paste in the website for online delivery, they split into fish and meat types.

Stephen

That's why I couldn't find them.  They are listed under canned meats.  Now call me Mr Picky but since when has a jar of pummelled chicken remains been a canned meat?  Clearly Asda's American owners have a different interpretation of (a) glass and meat.

​Good job I'm not a regular consumer of such products, but at least I know where to look now!

Our very old stray cat called ,imaginatively,  Puss  thrived for years on a tin of  sardines  every few days  as a treat .She was well beyond her nine lives .Our other cat hated them .We use chicken paste to get pills down the two dogs we have now .Works a treat .

Looks like I will have to go looking in some other stores. I shop at Asda, and have been in 4 different stores, 2 big uns and 2 littles ones and none have it. I did have the same problem recently with cunninghams picallili. But after a gap of a few weeks, they restocked that. After all, the competitors versions were a poor replacement, they wouldn't even stain the work tops if you spilt any.

But on the plus side, we still have Hendo's relish.

I like sild and skippers in tomato sauce, and the Polish "Neptun" brand herring and mackerel isn't bad either.

Polish shops, whilst still here pre brexit, have a good selection of decent tinned fish, but some are a bit strong flavour to UK tastes. They also do pickled fish in several styles, to which tomato sauce can be added to taste.

Stephen

Looks like I will have to go looking in some other stores. I shop at Asda, and have been in 4 different stores, 2 big uns and 2 littles ones and none have it. I did have the same problem recently with cunninghams picallili. But after a gap of a few weeks, they restocked that. After all, the competitors versions were a poor replacement, they wouldn't even stain the work tops if you spilt any.

But on the plus side, we still have Hendo's relish.

No commercial Piccalli could rival Dad's recipe, first made in the 1950's, when all the spices had to be bought in a local chemists. I still have the recipe, and the mustard sauce would due duty as a paint. It also fermented in the first batch, tasted wonderful, but lethal after effects.

I toned it down a bit in case it is ever offered to other people not used to the fiery concoction, with Mustard, garlic, chilli, bonnet peppers, including the seeds, ginger, horseradish root, black and white peppers, turmeric, fenugreek, coriander seeds, herbs and veggies to taste.

To duplicate the fermenting a bit of dry sherry is added to the mixture. Matured for 6 months minimum in a Kilner jar. Opened before Xmas and gone in a week!!

They did try to alter Marmite but relented after massive complaints, and also they do a special version that duplicates the Original, as the standard version has been forced to lower the salt levels. Vegimite is available here from Kraft, but Aussie friends say it is not the same as sold in Australia. It may again be reduced salt levels for the EU.

They did try to alter Marmite but relented after massive complaints, and also they do a special version that duplicates the Original, as the standard version has been forced to lower the salt levels. Vegimite is available here from Kraft, but Aussie friends say it is not the same as sold in Australia. It may again be reduced salt levels for the EU.

It's not so much the salt content that I noticed. More that the colour and texture was all wrong. Too pale and with a texture akin to soft margarine, rather than the "road tr in summer" fluidity that it used to have. As I said, the Aussie stuff was always* like that, as is Vegemite.

Something I found rather amusing, when I first got here, was the sad little corner in many supermarkets labelled "English Foods", complete with staggeringly expensive Jacobs Cream Crackers, Birds Custard Powder, proper British Spam, Typhoo Tea and the like. Pity they didn't do that with proper cheese :(.

*"Always" ,in this context, meaning "since August 26 1996" that being the date when I first arrived here :D. I have no knowledge of what might have been the case prior to that.

Archived