Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Complete with a trainee submariner it seems!

Indeed, as I position the layout at adult eye height I always offer our vertically challenged viewers the use of the periscope. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The Southampton branch of the Wine Merchants business of the Eldridge Pope Brewery was bombed in 1940.  Buried in the rubble were several intact crates of bottled Graham's Golden Lager.  In about 2004 while doing trial excavations on the site we discovered them with a JCB bucket that broke several bottles.  They were still fizzy but the contents smelt utterly rank. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 13:06, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed, as I position the layout at adult eye height I always offer our vertically challenged viewers the use of the periscope. 

Phew, I thought the Kriegsmarine had managed to sail up Southampton Water and were lining up a shot!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 14:02, petethemole said:

The Southampton branch of the Wine Merchants business of the Eldridge Pope Brewery was bombed in 1940.  Buried in the rubble were several intact crates of bottled Graham's Golden Lager.  In about 2004 while doing trial excavations on the site we discovered them with a JCB bucket that broke several bottles.  They were still fizzy but the contents smelt utterly rank. 

That's a fascinating snippet of local history, one if I may might have to be included in a wider blog post about 'my' larger (such a shame it ended up as 'Skol'  and the Oxford Rail tanker wagon (which I feel might be their best wagon yet!).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

That's a fascinating snippet of local history, one if I may might have to be included in a wider blog post about 'my' larger (such a shame it ended up as 'Skol'  and the Oxford Rail tanker wagon (which I feel might be their best wagon yet!).

I researched the brand while preparing the excavation report.  One web page I found included an old photo of a rail van branded for Graham's; I can't remember whether it was pre or post war.  I can't find it now. It would have carried lager bottled at the brewery.  I have wondered whether the tank wagon is a genuine branding; do you know?  ISTR that the wine merchants supplied the liners.  They weren't near the docks but in Above Bar Street, in the area that is now Guildhall Square.  We got on the BBC South local news, so I have a picture of one of the bottles, held by me.  It's only a .gif as I copied it from the BBC local news website.

beer.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I researched the brand while preparing the excavation report.  One web page I found included an old photo of a rail van branded for Graham's; I can't remember whether it was pre or post war.  I can't find it now. It would have carried lager bottled at the brewery.  I have wondered whether the tank wagon is a genuine branding; do you know?  ISTR that the wine merchants supplied the liners.  They weren't near the docks but in Above Bar Street, in the area that is now Guildhall Square.  We got on the BBC South local news, so I have a picture of one of the bottles, held by me.  It's only a .gif as I copied it from the BBC local news website.

beer.gif

Thanks muchly, fascinating information.

The tank branding is based on a real 'Graham's Large tank see here https://hmrs.org.uk/aat233-grahams-lager-alloa-10t-ale-tank-no-110-op-1939-exwks-side-a-arrol-sons-graham-s-golden-lager.html it looks like they had a number of different branded tank wagons.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Actually I think I found that before but had forgotten it.  The Eldridge Pope brewery and bottling plant were at Dorchester, so bulk lager could have been sent there.  However Cooper's Brewery in Southampton had a bottling plant and had ceased actual brewing due to war damage, so it could in theory have bottled Graham's Lager post war.  No rail connection though, it was in the heart of the Old Town, inside the medieval walls.

I found the text of the BBC news item, with the correct year!

"Updated: Thursday, 2 June, 2005, 10:08 GMT 11:08 UK

Archaeologists' intoxicating find

By David Fuller
BBC News

Archaeologists searching for remains of a city's medieval past have made an intoxicating discovery, a cache of World War II beer.

The hundred-or-so bottles of lager buried beneath Southampton's Guildhall Square were still capable of developing a head when they were opened.

It is thought they had been stored in the cellar of an off-licence which was destroyed in the Blitz.

The routine dig was to study the site before a new arts centre was built.

Pete Cottrell, the dig leader, was hoping to find evidence of a medieval leper hospital known to have been in the area.

He said the bottles were in very good condition, but the liquid inside was not.

"I think you'd be very ill if you drank that, it's absolutely rank."

Some of the bottles have now been handed to the city's museum, while the rest has been reburied."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following @petethemole's fascinating story about his Graham's Golden lager find in Southampton above,  I have made a slighty wider post about the brew on my blog here https://southern-railway.com/2023/06/20/the-lager-must-be-mine-grahams-golden-lager-and-a-tenuous-link-to-canute-road-quay/

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Canute Road Quay will be at the Beckenham & West Wickham MRC exhibition in their new larger venue at Forest Hill Boys School, Dacres Road, Forest Hill, London SE23 2XN this Saturday click link below for details https://southern-railway.com/2023/09/21/driving-the-last-spike-canute-road-quay-on-the-road-in-september-and-october/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So despite a challenging night / early hours of the morning dealing with a flooded lounge, #stormbabet

Canute Road Quay and it's stock has been cleaned this morning and is ready for loading in the car for tomorrow's Beckenham & West Wickham MRC exhibition. 
Details here https://southern-railway.com/2023/09/21/driving-the-last-spike-canute-road-quay-on-the-road-in-september-and-october

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

So despite a challenging night / early hours of the morning dealing with a flooded lounge, #stormbabet

Canute Road Quay and it's stock has been cleaned this morning and is ready for loading in the car for tomorrow's Beckenham & West Wickham MRC exhibition. 
Details here https://southern-railway.com/2023/09/21/driving-the-last-spike-canute-road-quay-on-the-road-in-september-and-october

Some of us are banned from that exhibition!  Couldn't care as I have a far better offer in West Byfleet.

I'm presently researching the Kriegsmarine and the LSWR ships in The Great War.

46 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Some of us are banned from that exhibition!  Couldn't care as I have a far better offer in West Byfleet.

How could you get banned from a model railway exhibition ?

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Aah Bish.

How could you get banned from that show ?

Going to Uckfield Sunday ? Sounds like being a very good show.

All the best

Ray