RMweb

Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Gold

It was the plain green that I had originally ordered, but I don't think there were ever more than a couple in full plain green with headcode boxes (I've only seen a photo of D6334 like this, on p52 of David Cable's "Hydraulics in the West"). At the time I ordered, seems like sometime in the last century now, I had assumed the plain green would be a disc version. Maybe they will bring such a thing out one day. Based on your info it looks like I will have to change to one of the GSYPs.

Rod - D6356 is shown in all-over green with split headcodes on 12/9/62 on a test train at Dumfries, this on page 43 of 'The Western's Hydraulics' (Book Law Publications).

At last i'm back.

Hi chaps and sorry for the late reply to this as i have spent all week out in Iceland only just getting back.

It transpires that there has been a small error in printing the order forms etc that have gone out to stockists regarding 6324 in BR Blue,

Can i reassure you all that 6324 is in fact 6326 in BR Blue, and that this is the number on the Model.

Thanks to everyone that mailed me while i was away (you know who you are), and as ever your help in deciphering these problems while i was away was extremely helpful.

I'll be mailing the stockists tomorrow with this change so please dont go contacting them first thing as they probably wont know much about it until later in the day.

One thing i will be doing here either tomorrow or by wednesday is putting some details on here regarding the instructions and sound speaker compatibility etc.

If you have any requests in this area please post them here and i will try my upmost to help out for everyones benefit.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Geoff,

i think i need to be on top of this come tomorrow as the release was not meant yet for the stores, as i wasnt here to control and double check it.

In doing so it's obviously gotten confused with some stockists.

The list below should clear things up for everyone. by the way the first 3 missing numbers are allocated for Kernow weathered examples.

cheers

Dave

4) D1000A BR Blue Full Yellow Ends Font B 6326

5) D1000B BR Blue Full Yellow Ends Font B 6322

6) D1000C BR Green Small Yellow Panel Font A D6320

7) D1000D BR Green Small Yellow Panel Font A D6319

8 ) D1000E BR Green Small Yellow Panel Font A D6327

9) D1000F BR Green Small Yellow Panel Font A D6331

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Geoff,

i think i need to be on top of this come tomorrow as the release was not meant yet for the stores, as i wasnt here to control and double check it.

The list below should clear things up for everyone. by the way the first 3 missing numbers are allocated for Kernow weathered examples.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave - this is really useful, thanks for posting the clarification.

May one infer from this list, therefore, that there will be no all-over green example with the split headcode boxes? (as someone told me privately that they had heard this).

Also, the numbers all appear to be for the 'second series' of locos (term as used by J.K. Lewis in 'The Western's Hydraulics' - Book Law Publications) - ie. from D6306 to D6333 inclusive - that were built without split headcode panels (ie. they used headcode discs), but had them added subsequently. This means that the small handrails above the headcode panels should be horizontal, whereas those fitted to the later batch constructed with split headcode boxes were vertical above the headcode boxes.

Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread.

Hi Geoff,

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome back ;)

Looking at the above list two locos still stand out as being wrong for the bodyshell you're doing! D6322 did appear in BFYE but had the earlier serif numbers with D prefixes, whereas you've listed with the same font as 6326. Not only this, but D6322 had different detail arrangements on each cab front due to the collision damage it sustained at some (so far) unknown point in time. I strongly suspect though, judging from photographs I have, that thedamage was repaired whilst in works for this repaint into blue.

Secondly, D6327 didn't appear in geen with headcode boxes, it went into Swindon Works in as built condition (with a non standard style small yellow panel) and emerged with headcode boxes fitted in Blue / SYP. Your other four choices are fine though.

Hope that helps and even more importantly I hope it's not too late...!

Edited by Mod6

• RMweb Gold
At last i'm back. Hi chaps and sorry for the late reply to this as i have spent all week out in Iceland only just getting back. It transpires that there has been a small error in printing the order forms etc that have gone out to stockists regarding 6324 in BR Blue, Can i reassure you all that 6324 is in fact 6326 in BR Blue, and that this is the number on the Model. Thanks to everyone that mailed me while i was away (you know who you are), and as ever your help in deciphering these problems while i was away was extremely helpful. I'll be mailing the stockists tomorrow with this change so please dont go contacting them first thing as they probably wont know much about it until later in the day. One thing i will be doing here either tomorrow or by wednesday is putting some details on here regarding the instructions and sound speaker compatibility etc. If you have any requests in this area please post them here and i will try my upmost to help out for everyones benefit. Cheers Dave

Dave it seems that the error is also in the ad in the latest issue of 'Model Rail' as well as it too refers to model no. D1000a. as 6324

Hi guys,

Am at a loss now.

I'm getting information from 3 reliable sources and at least 2 are telling me the ones we have chosen are correct!

I'm now half bald with anxiety.

Speaking to someone 'in the know' I've been assured that the version we have produced is only good for about 15 loco's anyway because of the various ports on the roof etc.

Are we also saying Kernows ones are wrong too?

Confused and tired

Anyone?

Cheers

Dave

Hi guys,

Am at a loss now.

I'm getting information from 3 reliable sources and at least 2 are telling me the ones we have chosen are correct!

I'm now half bald with anxiety.

Speaking to someone 'in the know' I've been assured that the version we have produced is only good for about 15 loco's anyway because of the various ports on the roof etc.

Are we also saying Kernows ones are wrong too?

Confused and tired

Anyone?

Cheers

Dave

Well Dave I've just checked my photos of D6322 again and I'm pretty sure the collision damage at one end occured while it was still in green livery, so if you release it in blue one end will be wrong. Given that you still want to do a blue one with full yellow ends and serif style numbers etc, you could go for D6318 but beware as it had slightly smaller arrow logos beneath the numbers, likewise you could also do D6325 as it too had smaller arrows in that style of blue.

It must seem like we're chasing our tails with this but it'll be worth it in the end. Which three are Kernow doing again...? As I suggested to Andy Y (which I think he passed on to you), doing D6314 or D6327 in Blue / SYP is an option, I'm sure this will be a popular livery.

Edited by Rugd1022

Hi Rudge,

The bodies have been painted and are just waiting for their numbers,

So 2 x blue with yellow ends

And 4 x green with SYP it is I'm afraid

So I need another green one that's for sure

Cheers

And yes I hope the hassle is worth it!

Why didnt I carry on with DP2? At least I'd have had 1 running number lol

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

oh,by the way, Iceland was great thanks, but good lord was it expensive. Gulp!!

cheers

Dave

Are you sure, I thought they were supposed to be cheaper than Tescos ...

... don't worry, already got me coat on ;)

Thank you for the update on the numbers, my pocket money is at the ready :)

Dave, your two posts arrived as I was typing mine so here we go.....!

Disecting Trevor's orignal list which included locos of both boiler types, you actually have more possible releases as some of them wore green then blue liveries...I understand you won't want to duplicate any numbers but it does give you a bit more choice to swap around...

D6313 Green / SYP

D6314 Blue / SYP

D6315 Green / SYP

D6316 Green / SYP

D6318 Blue / FYE early font / small logos

D6319 Green / SYP and 6319 Blue / FYE later font

D6320 Green / SYP

D6321 Green / SYP

D6324 Green / SYP

D6325 Blue / FYE early font / small logos

D6326 Green / SYP and 6326 Blue / FYE later font

D6327 Blue / SYP

D6328 Blue / FYE early font

D6329 Green / SYP

D6330 Green / SYP and 6330 Blue / FYE later font

D6331 Green / SYP

D6332 Blue / FYE early font

How does that compare against what else you've been told...?

Again your reply trumped mine so... scrub D6314 and D6327 from my list!

Edited by Rugd1022

Not a bad idea Geoff, but similar models have been released in the past that according to the manufacturers didn't sell all that well.

Dave - just checked Kernow's site so as they're doing D6315 and D6323 in green I'd suggest you go for D6313 if you need another green one. (I left D6323 off my revised list though due to it's unusual modifications at one end which were mentioned in this thread somewhere, and since then I've not found any more dated photos that show that particular end having been put right as it were... I wonder how Kernow chose that one!).

You still need to choose another blue one to go with 6326 though, as I said before 6322 will be a wrong 'un...!

Edited by Rugd1022

Hi chaps,

thanks to those that have helped, and no thanks to those of you that have sent me pelters. Some people eh?

Anyway i think i have the definitive list here

5) D1000B BR Blue Full Yellow Ends Font A D6318

8 ) D1000E BR Green Small Yellow Panel Font A D6313

Apart from the lack of all over green (which will definitely go in the second run) this looks to be about right. (i hope).

If i get no negative comments regarding the choice by 9pm tonight i'll mail them to China for the deco bodies.

once again thanks for your help and patience, it's been great to have to all (well most of you) on board for this as i dont think i could have done this without you there as your far more knowledgable than me on these things. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• Like 13

Good choice Dave... I knew we'd get there in the end! Between your list and Kernow's this should be a belter.

But (there's always one isn't there...) you might want to hang fire on that all green machine for a bit...... the only one you can get close to in the production batch in all over green with headcode boxes is D6333, and this one had the eyebrows above the front windows. The only others in this livery with 'boxes were of the next batch from D6334, which as we know had restyled front ends anyway. Sorry!

You do still have other options for your second batch of releases though.

Can we all go to bed now? ;)

Apart from the lack of all over green (which will definitely go in the second run) this looks to be about right. (i hope).

But (there's always one isn't there...) you might want to hang fire on that all green machine for a bit...... the only one you can get close to in the production batch in all over green with headcode boxes is D6333, and this one had the eyebrows above the front windows. The only others in this livery with 'boxes were of the next batch from D6334, which as we know had restyled front ends anyway. Sorry!

Dave - thanks for your forebearance in all of this, and not wanting to divert attention too much from the eagerly awaited first runs, but can you confirm that the future all-green versions will be of the disc headcode type?

• RMweb Gold

Ye ha!

So thats D6320 and D6331 for Abbotswood then - the Gloucester twins of the late 60's early 70s. What price Lister name plates for D6320? Has anyone got a picture of that unofficial name please?

Phil