Dapol Class 22

DLPG

So, back to the Dapol model. Hattons and Royal Mail must be working overtime because mine arrive at lunchtime today (Sunday). My account on the ehattons site has yet to be updated to say that it has been dispatched. I unpacked it later this afternoon and it has now completed a couple of hours running-in on the rollers. Having it running at eye level has given me an opportunity to just sit and look at the detail. It really is an excellent piece of work.

Any problems? Well, yes, one of the etched builders plates is missing and there is no sign of it in the box. Either I'll just have to run it one way round or cobble up a replacement. It just doesn't seem worthwhile to send it back just for this. My only other doubt is that it looks a bit wobbly on the rollers, as if one or more of the wheels are not quite concentric. I'll just have to see when I try it on my HO layout after I get a DCC chip fitted. In the long term this won't be a worry as mine is destined to be converted to P4, hopefully when Exactoscale decide to go ahead with a conversion set.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

My only other doubt is that it looks a bit wobbly on the rollers, as if one or more of the wheels are not quite concentric.

Nick

We gave the Hornby Mag review sample an outing on Ashland this afternoon at Warley during the 'happy hour' where anything goes ( including a derby lightweight dmu and LMS 10000!) and this caught my eye straight away, there is a definite wobble, or maybe to say the loco 'rocks' would be a better description, this rocking is quite obvious as you watch the loco travelling along a piece of track.

Hopefully this is a co-incidence and not something that will affect the whole production run?

Cheers, Richard

So, back to the Dapol model. Hattons and Royal Mail must be working overtime because mine arrive at lunchtime today (Sunday). My account on the ehattons site has yet to be updated to say that it has been dispatched. I unpacked it later this afternoon and it has now completed a couple of hours running-in on the rollers. Having it running at eye level has given me an opportunity to just sit and look at the detail. It really is an excellent piece of work.

Any problems? Well, yes, one of the etched builders plates is missing and there is no sign of it in the box. Either I'll just have to run it one way round or cobble up a replacement. It just doesn't seem worthwhile to send it back just for this. My only other doubt is that it looks a bit wobbly on the rollers, as if one or more of the wheels are not quite concentric. I'll just have to see when I try it on my HO layout after I get a DCC chip fitted. In the long term this won't be a worry as mine is destined to be converted to P4, hopefully when Exactoscale decide to go ahead with a conversion set.

Nick

Nick, mine was a bit wobbly on the rolling road, but is now a super runner when on the layout. Also, when purchasing yesterday at Warley, I noticed that someone brought one back to that retailer with, I believe, a 'missing' worksplate. All in all though, a smashing model. Congrats to all at Dapol.

Mine is now fitted with a Zimo MX64 and running on my HO layout. Excellent slow speed which is all that I need for end-to-end use. It now looks much smoother than it did on the rollers. There's still a very slight wobble but far less than most rtr models. Indeed, it is a smashing model and one Dapol should be very proud of. Roll on the Western :senile:

Nick

• RMweb Gold

That is uncalled for. Rugd1022 has explained clearly and correctly why he cannot post the photos he refers to, and also quoted numerous

official records that he has seen. Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, that should be enough.

I'm sorry Mod6, but it was first suggested that I had "confused" them with class 29s. I think that was uncalled for too. I'll draw a line under this discussion, but I think its unfortunate that it had developed the way it did.

Edited by JohnR

I'm sorry Mod6, but it was first suggested that I had "confused" them with class 29s. I think that was uncalled for too. I'll draw a line under this discussion, but I think its unfortunate that it had developed the way it did.

I dont want to drag this out either John, I agree the discussion didnt run particularly smoothly but in Nidge's absence, I'd be very confident that his suggestion wasnt in any way intended to belittle you. Whilst one should never say 'never', I do think that the balance of probability here is that you're mistaken, and if you genuinely think you've found a variation, I personally feel that the burden of proof is on you to find an ex-works shot of it.

What was said by rugd1022 was

Are you sure about that / are you looking at photos of 29s and not 22s...?

Given the complexity of the issue, this seems to be just part of the process of clarifying matters from someone with a track record of knowing what he is talking about on this subject.

Now let's move on please.

• Like 4

Heres one at Witney in May 1967 on Tony Doyles excellent Fairford site.

Potential copyright infringement image removed - please use a link or state that permission has been given (if it has)

Very sorry

here is the link: http://www.martin.loader.btinternet.co.uk/Fairford_Branch.htm

22s can be seen by clicking on the Witney Goods menu on the left.

Edited by SwissRailPassion

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve - D6331 was GSYP with headcode boxes from c1965 and gained it's full yellow end treatment in April 1970, being withdrawn in this condition in March 1971 ;)

I was planning to wait for the disc coded ones to come out, but was weak and surcumbed to a D6331 at the Warley show. Given that D6331 in as modelled condition would be a tad too modern for my layout, can anybody advise me on which ones were converted first, so I can renumber D6331 to one that would definitely have been converted from discs to headcode boxes by 1964?

Many thanks.

Edited by Phatbob

Have just taken delivery of my first Dapol 22 D6331 and i am mightily impressed, it puts my Silver Fox/Bach 20 chassis conversions into the shade. Not cheap at £125, but it looks good from every angle and runs well. The detail fanatics will love the component sprues and extras, although the option of adding the "bogie lift ring fillets/eyelets" looks challenging, i can see a few of these pinging their way across the carpet, when held in tweezers. Two little mini niggles, the rivets/bolts on the windscreen frames are a bit heavy and a roof fan would have been nice, but i'll forgive 'em, both are easily cured. I give this loco the total thumbs up, ( 98.5% happy ) and will be buying more. Comes in a nice box too.

Cheers, Brian.

Have just received delivery of D6331 and upon removing the body and blanking plate for the DCC chip I was confronted with a 22 pin connector. None of the 21 pin chips that I have will accept 22 pins! Is it me or has a mistake been made?

Edited by 90211

Have just received delivery of D6331 and upon removing the body and blanking plate for the DCC chip I was confronted with a 22 pin connector. None of the 21 pin chips that I have will accept 22 pins! Is it me or has a mistake been made?

This Hattons 1000 has been found to have an extra pin too..

Heres one at Witney in May 1967 on Tony Doyles excellent Fairford site.

Potential copyright infringement image removed - please use a link or state that permission has been given (if it has)

Very sorry

here is the link: http://www.martin.lo...ford_Branch.htm

22s can be seen by clicking on the Witney Goods menu on the left.

http://www.martin.loader.btinternet.co.uk/Witney_Goods.htm its certainly a fun job for the airbrush getting that filth over the yellow correctly, You can see where the colour gently graduates from yellow to filth up the sides and the window pillar. A good windscreen mask would be needed too I think.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Just a short press release from us, and i hope you understand how bad i feel about it.

I will comment more tomorrow when i have answers from China.

To all those this affects i am personally Sorry.

Dave.

Press release as follows;

Having already gone through this process in the last 24 hours with the 10000 models for Hattons, we have just discovered that our new class 22 model features the same fault for those that run DCC (DC is fine and will operate normally)

That the 21 pin DCC socket that the PCB board is fitted with, has, without our knowledge been altered to a 22 pin socket and blanking plug.

As you can imagine after all our hard work this has left us devastated as this was not uncovered unitl this morning (Tuesday 22nd November).

The cure we believe, is a simple snip of 1 of the pins on the socket, but until we get corroboration from China tomorrow morning we are unable to confirm this.

We are at a loss to understand how this could have happened when our approval models were 21 pin and we had fitted sound to 1 model.

So for now, we do of course apologise, and i will post an update for you by this time tomorrow, with a diagram and pictures of the modification for those that wish to undertake it themselves, and instructions for the return of the models for modification for those that dont wish to do it themselves.

Modified models will come with a sticker on the bottome of the box reading "Class 22 DCC 21 pin modified, Ready for use".If you intend to run your model on DC only , please do not worry, your model is unnafected bu this extra pin and will not need modifying as it will run as you expect it to.

Once agan we are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and will endevour to put it right within days.

I

• Like 15

DapolDave, don't feel bad. We should all be thanking you for your openness and honesty.

I agree, don't lose sleep over this, Dave. I fitted a Zimo MX64 to mine and it works fine. It was only when I took the body off again later to look at adding a driver in the cab and the lifting eyes on the bogies that I realised the chip wasn't quite seated correctly. A quick snip and it was fixed, but it worked fine without doing this. Of course, it might be different with other decoders.

Nick

• Like 1

That the 21 pin DCC socket that the PCB board is fitted with, has, without our knowledge been altered to a 22 pin socket and blanking plug.....

.....The cure we believe, is a simple snip of 1 of the pins on the socket, but until we get corroboration from China tomorrow morning we are unable to confirm this.

Dave, do you mean a 22 pin version of the MTC connector, i.e. without pin 11 removed, as per 21 pin versions used for DCC?

If it's not and they've fitted a PluX connector, then there's no way of modifying it as that uses a different pin and spacing arrangement.

Hopefully it's the former.

edit: Disregard, I see Nick (buffalo) has sorted it by snipping off pin 11

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

Dave - no problem, 22 to 21 simple snip.

Sat here eating my tea grinning like a schoolboy with D6331 sat on my coffee table, having just unpacked it after its journey from Liverpool.

Thanks to Dave and all at Dapol,it was well worth the wait.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Hi all has anybody had a problem with the gear sets used in dapols fine model of the nbl 63xx mine runs ok forwards but sounds very rough in reverse i have run in the loco at medium speed in both directions for approx 30 mins as per instructions also will there be a aftersales add on set of buffers and shanks as IMHO the ones on this first production model let it down .

re 7 mm scale how about a rail car

Edited by put polly on