RMweb

Dapol Class 22

DLPG

David Clough's book "Diesel Hydraulics in the West" has a photo of D6334 in 1960, plain green, with headcode boxes on one end (but this might have been a repair, and the other end isn't visible).

Puzzle corner. D6334 was delivered new to Newton Abbot in July 1961.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Puzzle corner. D6334 was delivered new to Newton Abbot in July 1961.

Chris

And the answer is?.....photographer forgetfulness / photographer wrote wrong date down on notebook / D6334 actually delivered in 1960 but official records wrong / none of the above / all of the above?... ;) :)

• RMweb Gold

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder what some of the old Western Region drivers and fitters would say about the (well-deserved) adulation these models are now getting, when the prototype has a slightly less shiney reputation in traffic?.... ;)

• Like 1

Update on D6334: I scurried to the ever-trusty Railway Observer only to find that the delivery date is recorded therein (January 1961 issue) as December 1960. Oh well, it was nice to have had credibility. I had supposed, clearly in error, that it went new to Newton Abbot in July 1961 when in fact it was transferred there from Laira, so let the record be set straight and I shall report to my nearest stocks to be pelted with eggs. I do not have David Clough's book but I do have "Hydraulics in the West" by David Cable which shows the loco at Torquay. It is Colour-Rail DE2139 which is by J H Moss though Cable credits only Colour-Rail. Is it the same photo and was it taken in December?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Update on D6334: I scurried to the ever-trusty Railway Observer only to find that the delivery date is recorded therein (January 1961 issue) as December 1960. Oh well, it was nice to have had credibility. I had supposed, clearly in error, that it went new to Newton Abbot in July 1961 when in fact it was transferred there from Laira, so let the record be set straight and I shall report to my nearest stocks to be pelted with eggs.

"Let he who never made a mistake cast the first egg" to misquote from a well-known religious tome. You may be waiting a while before the oeufs turn up, I think. The wisdom of this forum depends upon people being confident to put their head above the parapet when they think they know something. On the odd occasion that this proves to be false, a simple retraction is more than adequate. Anyway, I never saw D6334, although I seem to have seen 38 other members of the class, out of 58 examples made.

• RMweb Premium
"Let he who never made a mistake cast the first egg"

Anyone casting eggs at my rolling stock will be politely and firmly asked to leave! :madclear:

We have all made mistakes. And cleaning eggs off weathered and hand-painted models (even scale eggs!) can result in more damage and is no yolk :jester:

• Like 2

I started to shake with excitement when Andy posted the first sneak pic!

I am now a vibrating black blur.

I wonder how many pennies are in me penny jar?

ps anyone want a partially completed Silver Fox jobby?

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

Keyham station goods loop/ defunct goods yard in August 1962 with D6346 as original next to D6313

Gorgeous and my old patch to!

Was 2 months old when this was taken, funny to think 43 years later I would stand on the same footbridge and watch the (very) occasional HST or Sprinter go by!

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder what some of the old Western Region drivers and fitters would say about the (well-deserved) adulation these models are now getting, when the prototype has a slightly less shiney reputation in traffic?.... ;)

They would probably say, wait and make sure it runs. The real thing probably also got adulation before it was delivered.

Chris

From what I've read the real thing were a mixed bunch, possibly down to the mood NBL was in on the day a particular loco was built. Some examples had availability almost on a par with any other type 2, others were lucky to get off shed without a galaxy of fault lights appearing. The UK manufactured transmissions and prime movers certainly didn't help matters, although the same can be said of all the Hydraulics.

• RMweb Gold

Update on D6334: I scurried to the ever-trusty Railway Observer only to find that the delivery date is recorded therein (January 1961 issue) as December 1960. Oh well, it was nice to have had credibility. I had supposed, clearly in error, that it went new to Newton Abbot in July 1961 when in fact it was transferred there from Laira, so let the record be set straight and I shall report to my nearest stocks to be pelted with eggs. I do not have David Clough's book but I do have "Hydraulics in the West" by David Cable which shows the loco at Torquay. It is Colour-Rail DE2139 which is by J H Moss though Cable credits only Colour-Rail. Is it the same photo and was it taken in December?

Chris

Chris - the photo taken at Torquay is indeed the one referred to, not sure of date without the book in front of me. However, I do have the benefit of being able to consult a very knowledgeable colleage in our Bristol office today (he isn't on RMWeb), but who knows a great deal of the detail differences in this class of loco, and he felt that it was possible that D6334 wasn't delivered until 1961 (the works were busy building D800 Warships, apparently ;) ).

Unless the photographer provides detailed, credible notes with photographs, it is easy enough for others 'several stages removed' from him to introduce errors into caption writing, so the caption in the book could well be erroneous.

Horrible, disgusting model*.

Absolutely hate it*.

* Trying to convince myself that I dont want one (I dont NEED one but thats different) but it didnt work, gonna go buy one now, dont really care which one, they all look brilliant.

At least it fits in with the Beattie, is that a good enough reason?

Got to go the gas man is here to cut me off, there is a recession on you know, priorities!

• RMweb Premium
the gas man is here to cut me off, there is a recession on you know, priorities!

No gas-turbine loco for you!!! - ONE YEAR!

Maybe a shed-load of 22's though ;)

Chris - the photo taken at Torquay is indeed the one referred to, not sure of date without the book in front of me. However, I do have the benefit of being able to consult a very knowledgeable colleage in our Bristol office today (he isn't on RMWeb), but who knows a great deal of the detail differences in this class of loco, and he felt that it was possible that D6334 wasn't delivered until 1961 (the works were busy building D800 Warships, apparently ;) ).

Unless the photographer provides detailed, credible notes with photographs, it is easy enough for others 'several stages removed' from him to introduce errors into caption writing, so the caption in the book could well be erroneous.

The David Cable Hydraulics book is very good, but beware as there are a few mistakes in the captions regarding loco identities and possibly one or two dates. I think some of these problems arise from authors looking at small slides / transparicies when actually putting a book together, rather than 'full size' easy to absorb images. It's probably a thankless task at times but the occasional inaccuracy or mistake doesn't arise until the book is already in the shops. Hugh Dady has had this problem with his (superb!) WR titles, as well as other mistakes somehow getting in past the proof reading process!

( David Cough's otherwise excellent Hydraulic book also has one or two anomalies in it from memory).

Edited by Rugd1022

Just as an illustration of the above, I have found the same picture (relating to BR(S) class 73s) in several different publications, each with slightly different descriptions and with very different dates ascribed to them.

THEY're HERE!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that class 22 product code D1000f and in BR Green, numbered D6331 is now at Dapol and will start going out to stockists for Saturday morning release on Thursday.

Other models will be here over the coming 30 days.

cheers

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Before I give in to the inevitable, could someone just clear up one little detail - did they ever appear on the Southern, particularly in the London area?

Lloyd (Baby Deltic) and I have had a fair few discussions on the topic lately.....

Before I give in to the inevitable, could someone just clear up one little detail - did they ever appear on the Southern, particularly in the London area?

Lloyd (Baby Deltic) and I have had a fair few discussions on the topic lately.....

Quite probably yes Colin... Old Oak crews worked the Acton - Norwood freights which, although often Hymek or Warship hauled, could easily have had a 22 drop onto them from time to time. I've seen the odd photo of green liveried examples heading south on the through road at Kensngton Olympia on mixed freights, and coming back with 'V' headcodes. Most of the Old Oak allocated ones were from the D6334 - D6357 bodysytle batch with the built in headcode boxes from new, but the Dapol model certainly wouldn't look out of place.... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not as many as i'd like as they are all sold out at Dapol (not stockists as far as i know), and stockists attending the show who have ordered some will have theirs on sale.

cheers

Dave

Congratulations Dave - fingers crossed that they all get to Warley. And are you looking forward to the scrum around Dapol products putting the Bachmann scrum in the shade for once? ;)

Had a sneak preview today of the Kernow weatherd ones (thanks Chris!) all I can say is they are drop dead gorgeous!

I cant decide which is better, the blue or the green so no doubt will have to go for one or two of each!

So no new(ish) car again next year, but hey, it will only stand on the drive for most of the time!

If you haven't ordered one..........usual disclaimer but get one whilst you can!

From what I've read the real thing were a mixed bunch, possibly down to the mood NBL was in on the day a particular loco was built. Some examples had availability almost on a par with any other type 2, others were lucky to get off shed without a galaxy of fault lights appearing. The UK manufactured transmissions and prime movers certainly didn't help matters, although the same can be said of all the Hydraulics.

From people I spoke to and stuff I've read, once they had been through Swindon a time or two they were pretty reliable machines. Several ex drivers I spoke to said they better engines than the 25s that they replaced them with. I feel that the reputation of the class 16s and 21s and build faults kind of sullied the reputation all the NBL products whether they were any good or not. Even the class 21s became reasonably reliable machines in their twilight years, mainly because all the design faults which caused pyrotechnics etc. had been ironed out.

Jim

• Like 4