Dapol Class 22

DLPG

A quick question for those of you who know more about these new-fangled diesel things than I do. Which end is the 'front' of a class 22? In other words, if I drive my model in the direction my controller calls forwards, which end should be leading?

Nick

Guest oldlugger

Heres one at Witney in May 1967 on Tony Doyles excellent Fairford site.

Potential copyright infringement image removed - please use a link or state that permission has been given (if it has)

Very sorry

here is the link: http://www.martin.lo...ford_Branch.htm

22s can be seen by clicking on the Witney Goods menu on the left.

There are some of my photos on that site in the Witney goods section. A lovely website of a very characterful branch line; if only it was still there! I remember the disappointment on learning that the trusty 57xx and 74xx pannier tanks were to be replaced by "diesels", and the class 22 no less!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

The front is generally at the end the roof fan is nearest to.

Thanks, looks like mine is going backwards so I'll need to tweak the appropriate CV. The question was prompted because on DCC F1 and F2 control the cab lights at each end and it just felt more logical that F1 should be the front and F2 the back, but it was the other way round from the direction of travel.

Nick

edit: ignore this, it is going the right way, see below...

Edited by buffalo

Guest oldlugger

Could someone tell me if one of the Dapol class 22 models will come with headcode discs, especially a green one with small yellow warning panels, or are they all supplied with these?

Simon

Hydraulics were different to Diesel Electrics and the A end was the furthest away from the fan grill.

Thanks Trevor. That certainly corresponds to the A and B on my Hymek. Is it really that simple? Maybe I should start a poll as we have one vote each way so far.

Nick

Many thanks. That means mine is travelling in the correct direction so no tweaking needed.

A supplementary question, if I may? Someone earlier (on this thread or Andy's review thread) mentioned that the speedo cable should only be at one end, although it is on both bogies on the model. It can be seen at the A end in Trevor's photo above. Which end should it be?

Nick

Someone earlier (on this thread or Andy's review thread) mentioned that the speedo cable should only be at one end, although it is on both bogies on the model. It can be seen at the A end in Trevor's photo above. Which end should it be?

Here we go http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47247-Dapol-class-22-photo-review/page__view__findpost__p__526229 - it should be the A end on the driver's side.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Trevor. That certainly corresponds to the A and B on my Hymek. Is it really that simple? Maybe I should start a poll as we have one vote each way so far.

Nick

In the hope of making everybody happy here is a pic taken just a few moments ago of Diagram DH 2100/3 from the official WR Diagram Book - D6331 being covered by the /3 version of that diagram. I haven't got a Prep & Fault guide for these locos so can't check the Diagram Book against anything else official alas.

post-6859-0-45041500-1322042747_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Sadly it looks as if the Ultrascale conversion pack may not now happen, it appears that development and production costs won't be warranted by demand - http://www.ultrascal...e.php?noteid=39

Actually Cap'n, it looks like the stumbling block is a design issue:

Having now had a good look at the model Supplied by Dapol with regard to a conversion pack, we now think that it is not going to be possible to produce a cost effective and economical conversion for this model.

The elecrical pick up used, requires the tyre to be connected to the stub axle. This would not be a problem if the prototype loco had been fitted with disc wheels, but as they had spoked we are not able to use our standard method. We have been looking at ways to short the tyre to the axle on a spoked wheel but as yet have not come up with a viable, workable solution.

We would also need to produce a new 11 spoke wheel and we see no reason to produce this unless we can solve the pick up problem. We will continue to look at this, to find a solution and will add updates if and when we progress.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly it looks as if the Ultrascale conversion pack may not now happen, it appears that development and production costs won't be warranted by demand - http://www.ultrascal...e.php?noteid=39

Bottom. Although this may please Mr Ross as it makes converting Diesels in the Duchy to hydraulic power more difficult....

• RMweb Premium

We gave the Hornby Mag review sample an outing on Ashland this afternoon at Warley during the 'happy hour' where anything goes ( including a derby lightweight dmu and LMS 10000!) and this caught my eye straight away, there is a definite wobble, or maybe to say the loco 'rocks' would be a better description, this rocking is quite obvious as you watch the loco travelling along a piece of track.

Hopefully this is a co-incidence and not something that will affect the whole production run?

Cheers, Richard

We also had the Hornby Mag review model during silly hour on Sunday at Spalding show and the wobble was definately there.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Captain,

That is a blow. I'm glad I didn't order one with a view to converting it to P4. I was one of those who registered interest with Ultrascale for a conversion pack. It really is a shame as I could just see this diminutive loco working on St. Mary Hoo. There are probably other ways of converting it with spoked wheels using Gibson wheel sets, but I just don't think I'll risk wrecking a nice model. Oh well, one of the joys of P4.

Simon

PS - if any ingenious P4 modeller here comes up with a reasonably idiot proof method of conversion, I'd love to hear!

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

D6315 or D6316 would be your best choices for 1964, earlier conversions received larger boxes which were fitted higher up the nose.

Trevor

I too 'accidentally' bought a D6331 at Warley and will be looking to renumber to the earliest appropriate class member that carried this livery in this condition - so thanks for this.

I'm not used to renumbering green diesels - any views on whose transfers are most suitable/correct? I normally use HMRS for my steam stock.

Edited by 2ManySpams