Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Indeed some DCC controllers spike at 80v AC,

And some older ones from the best manufacturers (DC) go as far as 18v.

Then build your models with this in mind,

or state on the box "This locomotive must only be used with the following controllers"

Then build your models with this in mind,

or state on the box "This locomotive must only be used with the following controllers"

Riiiight. Surely then it's the responsibility of the controller manufacturers to list the models they're compatible with?

Picked up a brand new D6327 yesterday and having problems already. I normally run my loco's in on a rolling road with a regulated 8v DC supply but D6327 just buzzed and barely manages to turn a wheel. Increasing the supply to 10v and it does run but painfully slow. Increased to 11.5v and no life at all! Back to 10v and it runs again!?! I tried it on a test track with a basic Hornby R 965 controller and got the same results - comes to life very slowly but as you reach maximum on the controller it stops dead - turn it down and it starts to move again. Very strange.

I have 3 of the initial release headcode versions - D6313, D6319 and D6320 and they are excellent runners on DC using the basic Hornby R 965 controller.

Not a very happy customer so will be calling DCC Supplies in the morning!

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear of your problems as the model certainly shouldn't act like that.

I'd probably suggest thinking about who to sent it to as because its a new one you really have the 2 choices.

1) DCC supplies of course under the Dapol warranty and I'm sure they will sort it out for you or,

2) The place of purchase for replacement, remembering that if they are also liable for shipping costs (if you and they are UK based).

Please remember that Dapol's warranty does not usurp (I love that word) your statutory rights as a consumer.

Let me know how you get on please.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

... usurp (I love that word) ...

Of course, it rhymes with burp ;)

I finally acquired one of the new releases after my local suffered from an order 'problem'.  Absolutely superb in almost every way, and the side skirts went on a lot better than my blue one from the original batch.  I say almost because it does have slightly sloppy pockets.  Not serious enough to affect the kadee operation, but certainly a lot sloppier than the original batch.

Edited by Jack

Hi Martin,

I'd probably suggest thinking about who to sent it to as because its a new one you really have the 2 choices.

1) DCC supplies of course under the Dapol warranty and I'm sure they will sort it out for you or,

2) The place of purchase for replacement, remembering that if they are also liable for shipping costs (if you and they are UK based).

Please remember that Dapol's warranty does not usurp (I love that word) your statutory rights as a consumer.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your very prompt response. This was the very last one in stock so not going to be able to exchange it but the good news is that DCC Supplies is only a 10 minute drive for me - bad news is I am unlikely to leave there without opening my wallet yet again!

I will update you on how I get on.

Thanks again,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Nice indeed! Just the way an early  BR diesel should look - none of this disfiguring yellow malarkey and not a trace of blue!

Well its just an excuse to have a few more!!!!

Phil

Hi Martin,

Cheers

Dave

Good news - D6327 is out of the workshop, has just been on a successful test run and now awaiting duties!

DCC supplies e-mailed me yesterday to say that it was fixed [capacitor problem] so picked it up this morning. Now runs like a dream and I guess based on the other 3 it will get even better once fully run in.

Many thanks Dave for your helpful comments and also DCC Suplies for excellent service.

Martin.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I recently received my replacement class 22 from Hereford Models and it ran very well first time. One day a week later it was very hesitant and stopped altogether. The rest of the day I couldn't get it to move. Next time it was fine and there have been no problems since. I sent my class 24 and 25s around very slowly to check for dirt etc.. They were faultless, and they are 10 year old DC Bachmann locos, bought for less than £40, with no circuit boards and therefore less sensitive to slight dirt on the track.

One of the reasons I returned to the hobby was the impressive slow and smooth running of Bachmann diesels, so unlike the 80's where Hornby locos would stall and stutter. Frustration with poor running and constant faffing around put me off the hobby.

My Dapol experience has been disappointing so far. A great looking loco but the running problems have not brought joy. Hopefully the replacement will be fine in future.

At £103 it's the most expensive loco in my collection. Most of my locos were bought for £35 to £45 and are faultless runners. The only problems I've had have been with the DMUs, which I've had to re-wire because of poor contacts. My experience so far has been more money = a less reliable product.

Edited by SwissRailPassion

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Due to model supply delays from China that seem to get worse and worse, I decided that I should buy a Dapol class 22 before they disappear. I got as far as putting my credit card details into the form but then got cold feet and decided to read through these posts.

My opinion now is that this is a can of worms and best left alone. What is the general opinion about the running and relability of these class 22 loco's?

http://www.ehattons.com/59077/Dapol_4D_012_000_Class_22_B_B_Diesel_Hydraulic_6326_in_BR_green_No_yellow_warning_panels_disc_he/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

We have 2

Only issue was a single axle failure which I soon rectified with a replacement from DCC Supplies

Otherwise excellent model

Hope we still get the head code box fitted as built version!

Phil

Due to model supply delays from China that seem to get worse and worse, I decided that I should buy a Dapol class 22 before they disappear. I got as far as putting my credit card details into the form but then got cold feet and decided to read through these posts.

My opinion now is that this is a can of worms and best left alone. What is the general opinion about the running and relability of these class 22 loco's?

http://www.ehattons.com/59077/Dapol_4D_012_000_Class_22_B_B_Diesel_Hydraulic_6326_in_BR_green_No_yellow_warning_panels_disc_he/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks.

Dapol do not have a great reliability record at the moment but they are aware of this and are trying to make amends.

From the recent personnel changes and yesterdays press release from Dapol re KMR it makes me think there is more to all this than meets the eye.

However back to your question.....at the moment You pays your money and takes your chances, at least there is now a UK dealership that can repair your loco if something does go wrong, however make sure you follow the oiling instructions otherwise they may well blame you for mis-use. as happened to me with my class 121.