Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

Four 22s in the fleet here.

I find them rugged, reliable, maids of all work and able to pull quite respectable trains such as an 8-coach Mk1 rake or in excess of 30 swb freight wagons.  They work nicely in pairs as well though the Dapol power unit draws a little more current than an equivalent Bachmann unit so low-powered layouts might find a need to crank up to full bore particularly with two double-heading.

My only gripes are the skirt panels of which no.3 tends to fall out unless stuck in (the others are all fine) and the unconvincing stick-on external headcodes which can be placed inside instead with a little careful work.

A recommended purchase if you don't already have one.

Very extravagant but today I bought D6326 in BR green - no yellow warning panels and disc head code - because they seem to be about run out of stock so it was now or never. One web site says they are sold out at the supplier and eHattons had five left (was six yesterday). As I write, the stock has in past half an hour reduced to three available. It is the most expensive diesel loco I have bought especially inch-for-inch of length.

D6326 compliments a Heljan Hymek D7009 and Bachmann Warship D816 'Eclipse' all of which are plain green without yellow peril fronts. In 1961 'The Cornishman' was hauled by a Warship and it seemed that mainline steam was nearly over. I had a close inspection of a static D800 at Temple Meads when one of the other apprentices threw my haversack onto the track and I had to retrieve it PDQ so as not to get bo**cked by British Transport Police. I also have three Lima Westerns: D1000 'Western Enterprise' in sand livery, D1003 'Western Pioneer' in green with small yellow panel, and D1016 'Western Gladiator' in maroon. Maroon Westerns evoke memories of Paignton in mid 'sixties. My Western models need upgrading but there do not seem to be many options for 'proper' Westerns. I paid seven Pounds each in 1979 so they do not owe me anything. I avoided the Hornby version when it came out because it did not look right compared to Lima version, even if it ran better. In early 1980s I bought two Mainline Warships in green with small yellow panel for double heading. They need frequent use to avoid oxidation or they will not run at all and they have 'clicky' gears. D824 'Highflyer' cost eleven quid and D825 'Intrepid' cost six quid so they are not a great loss.

The D6300 diesel hydraulics hold a special memory for me. Back in 'that winter' of 1962/ 63 it was icy from Boxing Day 1962 until nearly Easter 1963. One frosty morning whilst waiting on Pill platform for the usual pannier and short train to Portishead, a D63 turned up light engine with a guy leaning out of the front cab window shouting, "No trains today, points frozen". Various shouts along the lines of, "...then, How did you get here?", and, "What the F*** do we do to get to work now" met with an equally manly reply. As the loco drifted to a very brief stop I somewhat cheekily asked, "Any chance of a ride to Possit?" "Jump in but don't touch anything" was the reply. I thought I was alone on that part of the platform but I got pushed on by a hoard of blokes who seemed to come from nowhere. For years I thought this was an event to remember but was upstaged years later by some Filton fitters on a Fairford working party who tried the same trick one Friday afternoon and bummed a lift on Concorde back to Filton via Bay of Biscay.

Thanks to members on this forum for down to earth advice on vagiaries of Dapol Class 22..

• Like 3

eHattons had six of D6326 for sale on Sunday, three late yesterday, none today.

http://www.ehattons.com/59077/Dapol_4D_012_000_Class_22_B_B_Diesel_Hyraulic_6326_in_BR_Green_No_yellow_warning_panels_disc_hea/StockDetail.aspx

It would be interesting to know how many people on this forum bought D6326 in past few days after becoming aware from posts that this loco was sold out at Dapol and nearly so at eHattons..

Anyone who wants a D6326 but did not buy one may need to mop up any remaining at other dealers.

• RMweb Premium

Take care when using a search engine that you are looking at the right 6326.  Blue ones with split head codes are still readily available.   Plain green ones are less common. 

Regarding green Class 22 loco's with split head code boxes, as in link to D6316, Did they all have small yellow panel? I would prefer a plain green one with head code boxes.

http://www.ehattons.com/56923/Dapol_D1000g_Class_22_B_B_Diesel_Hydraulic_D6316_font_A_in_BR_green_with_small_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks

I'm pretty sure D6335 was the only member of the class to sport headcode boxes as built without yellow panels.

I'm pretty sure D6335 was the only member of the class to sport headcode boxes as built without yellow panels.

If D6316 as here...http://www.ehattons.com/56923/Dapol_D1000g_Class_22_B_B_Diesel_Hydraulic_D6316_font_A_in_BR_green_with_small_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx ... had the yellow panels painted out in green, and number was changed to D6335, Would that produce a reasonably accurate model? If inaccurate, What would let it down?

• RMweb Gold

On D6336 Headcode boxes are set lower down, handrails are above headcode boxes, lamp irons are set further out, nose end doors are original 2 leaf not 4 leaf

Its the position of the head code boxes that's the no no really - and that determines the position of the hand rails, which changes the lamp irons.

Hope that helps

Phil

Would this work? Yellow panel on Dapol model D6316 painted green and loco renumbered as D6334?

Not accurately. The grab rails above the headcode boxes are horizontal on the Dapol model. D6334 had the mounted vertically. See the image below.

http://www.railblue.com/Pictures/In%20Depth/Copy_of_ChardMilk-D6334PD.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've just received D6318 in blue from Hattons as they were much reduced in price. Currently it is running in as I type (along with the weathered Robinson o4 I bought at the same time). Out of the box this loco has a real weight and presence to it. Runs lovely and doesn't seem to draw a lot of power at all. I haven't tried fitting any of the extra detail yet. It is only the second Dapol locomotive I've ever bought (the other being their old L&Y pug) and it gets top marks from me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, my mine arrived today D6316.

Just could not resist it and was most interested to see what Dapol could do!

Initially, the cab lights did not work, but found the little plug was out so that's fixed :)

Note the body is quite a sloppy fit by the battery box.

Runs nice, little bit gear'ee but I'll let that run in before risking popping the bogie frames off.

Looks stunning and more so with all the valances fitted now.

My only true moan is the horrible headcode stickers! might need to find a way to slide them off and fit some of my own, that you can see when the loco is not moving.

Other than that, what a little stunner :)

Ordered an all green one from Hattons last November. First chance to look at and run it, was last week -my first week back in the UK. Worked OK in one direction, but derailed in reverse, oscillating a bit before it did so. Gave it a workout on a friend's rolling road today - one end oscillating quite badly (so, it wasn't my track at fault!). No more stock at Hattons, so its going back to DCC Supplies for repair.

No problem, as I wont be back in the UK until July. I wait with baited breath....

Took comfort by buying a freshly delivered Bachmann GWR badged Dukedog from Bure Valley Railway shop.

• Like 1