Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

I think it's only a matter of time before they do the Z. The G16 and H16 are both big engines and we've not yet had one of those for the SR, although the LBSC L class would be my choice for a big SR tank engine.

If I were picking one of the bigger SR tanks, I'd probably go for the W as they got around more than the other classes.

Then again, I already have a kit-built Z, so perhaps I'm a little biased. :angel:

John

• RMweb Gold

I've just got the drawings to scratch build one, that must mean one is on the cards for the near future.

Gary

I'd think not, probably. It would be a bit of a complex project, the SR having reduced the height to get some further use out of them after the Brighton line was electrified then rebuilt them into fairly pedestrian 4-6-0s which is the only form in which a BR liveried model could be produced. 

Doing it in tank form would thus exclude the (generally accepted) biggest chunk of the market and I don't think anybody would be up for taking such a punt with the upheavals we may experience in the general economy over the next several years.  

If we were ever going to see one, I reckon it would have been 'Remembrance' and released to mark the Somme centenary.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely looking loco...I've seen a few mentions of an SE&CR Grey livery - anyone has a colour pic of a loco wearing that livery?

I trust that there is no confusion with the photographic works grey often used to show the details of the locos more clearly.......I have not heard of a SE&CR grey as such.

Amusingly it once foxed the Japanese on a PFM Brass model Garrett, they delivered some painted brass locos in full grey on the assumption that it was a livery......

Stephen

To save on the "moans" later on, please fill in or tick form as appropriate.

•   The................ is the shape or length.
  •   The livery is wrong for (fill in date)............
  •   They did not operate in my................. during the period of.............
  •    It will not pull ...........number of coaches.
  •    It slips it's wheels.
  •    Looses power over bumps.
  •    Where has it got to.........(only tick after two years wait)...be fair!.
  •    Gushing praise of all aspects is totally forbidden.
  •    It is far too expensive.......
  •    The livery colour is wrong in tint.... shade.....tone ( only fill in if100% your not colour blind).
  •    Will not take a full stereo sound system with my £400 DCC/ Radio/ Bluetooth outfit, outrageous!

Greatly looking forward to this escape from China,,, sorry..... Hornby release!

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I trust that there is no confusion with the photographic works grey often used to show the details of the locos more clearly.......I have not heard of a SE&CR grey as such.

Amusingly it once foxed the Japanese on a PFM Brass model Garrett, they delivered some painted brass locos in full grey on the assumption that it was a livery......

Stephen

Actually the SECR did indeed have an all over grey livery - Bachmann having produced an N class mogul and the C class in such a finish.

The livery was introduced towards the end of WW1* and featured large white numbers on a battleship grey background. No lining was present and the only slash of colour was the buffer beams plus the backing to a cast owners plate reading "SECR" according to contemporary reports however the grey pigment wasn't very stable though and turned almost black very quickly. This livery lasted until grouping in 1921 when the much more pleasing Maunsell green was introduced for passenger / mixed traffic locos.

* The initial WW1 livery was the basic SECR green colour without lining and the lettering in a yellow primrose font - stylistically not that different from the SR livery

Edited by phil-b259

The livery for passenger rolling stock also changed at this time, to a more sombre brown.

The sample panel in my image is wholly original, taken some years ago from a seaside bungalow.

It must have come as a bit of a shock to see grey locomotives and dark chocolate coaches

after the glorious Wainwright liveries of previous years.

post-24481-0-36610400-1477033959_thumb.jpg

post-24481-0-01141600-1477033982.jpg

• Like 3

Actually the SECR did indeed have an all over grey livery - Bachmann having produced an N class mogul and the C class in such a finish.

The livery was introduced towards the end of WW1* and featured large white numbers on a battleship grey background. No lining was present and the only slash of colour was the buffer beams plus the backing to a cast owners plate reading "SECR" according to contemporary reports however the grey pigment wasn't very stable though and turned almost black very quickly. This livery lasted until grouping in 1921 when the much more pleasing Maunsell green was introduced for passenger / mixed traffic locos.

* The initial WW1 livery was the basic SECR green colour without lining and the lettering in a yellow primrose font - stylistically not that different from the SR livery

I think that there was also a brief Maunsell green livery. Not sure if this was between the Wainwright and Grey or post WWI though.

Battleship grey? Hmmm, the Royal Navy had many different shades of grey (though ,not 50 of them), so I wonder which one it was closest too.

Stephen

On page 3 you’ll find pictures of Bachmann C and N Classes in SE&CR grey. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like another Southern winner....Do I spot a test shot for a GWR B set coach in the background ?.....a much needed replacement for that old Airfix offering from way back when...I'm amazed its taken so long.

Hands up for a new range of Bullied Coaches and maybe with lighting in them and a working tail lamp....these are features are found in American N scale coaches so it would be easy in 00. A few more Southern locos would be nice...a Q 0-6-0 like 30541 preserved on the Bluebell Railway ....I saw a few of these on Guildford to Horsham services, then of course there is the U class, a Urie S15 would be magic and a Z tank too.....Whatever we are living in lucky times with such fine models as are already available at such modest prices....Full marks Hornby the H is coming on nicely.

• RMweb Premium

I wish they'd preserved it in Southern livery, it looks so ugly in BR livery >.< (I really dislike BR liveries.)

Actually Southern livery is not that different - still being overall black (the Q class being built too late to get the green lining initially applied to goods locos.

A bigger argument is simply that we have lots of locos in BR black around the country but none in SR black so it seems a shame the Q has been given the BR treatment (even though it was the wishes of the owning group).

Hopefully*, as the generations move on and the pool of people who 'remember BR steam' shrink even further we will see a move back to more grouping / pre-grouping era liveries used.

* Note this is not intended to disparage, or wish ill fortune on older generations but simply a reflection of personal taste - I believe locos should, as a principle, spend most of their lives painted in the earliest liveries their physical condition allows. Thus apart from the BR standards, the bulk of the rest of our Heritage fleet should be in something other than BR livery and we should stop trying to pretend its the late 50s / early 60s and celebrate as much of our railway history as we can.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

Obviously my mention of a Q has started a train of thought...I only remember them in grubby BR days based at just a few southern depots....I must agree that they do look particulary handsome in Southern unlined black. A Hornby model could ride on the R &D of the Black Motor. They were mixed traffic machines as they also worked passenger trains out of Bournemouth on the Ringwood Line through West Moors. The Hornby team have obviously been spending some time at the Bluebell railway during the rearch for the

Adams Radial, the H and possibly for the S15, so the guys must have been infected by the charms of 30541....and of course there are two U classes there if I remember rightly so who knows what we may see next!

Much better! it looks quite elegant with Southern written on the tender,  I don't know what it is , because I think Wartime Black & Sunshine for example, looks great on Southern locos, just something about BR black/green, lined or not, just doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.  I think the BR Logo(s) look ugly too, maybe it's that. I duno, anyone feel the same? 

Here we go....the proverbial livery topic....As a hard core train spotter, shed basher, and route cruncher in the early sixties I witnessed the end of an era and like many of us oldies I never saw any locos in their Big Four liveries, let alone the pregrouping colours, so many of us hark back to what we remember as opposed to what looked better....after all, if you put money into preservation then its because we want recreat the age we were fond of...in that sense I'm happy to see locos looking a bit grubby and in the BR livery just as I remembered them. However I do like many of the older liveries and always enjoy seeing heritage steam, but they are not nostagia jerkers....there was nothing quite trudging down an ash path down into a unvisited depot to see something like a grubby Q simmering outside waiting for its next job. For many of us its these magic moments that we are trying to encapsulate...There are very few people left who actually remember the glory days of the pre war era....but yes in pure aesthetic terms the Q looks best in Southern Black...

• Like 1