Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Disappointing that the BR Late Crest one has overhead electrics flashes - limits the (already limited) timescale somewhat.

So in which year did the overhead electric warning flashes start appearing on BR(S) locos?

Bit confused now anyway as I thought that previous indications were that the H in BR livery would be an early-crest one & the late-crest one would be a PP one in a set with the converted Maunsell PP coaches.

PRTRAINMAN

• RMweb Gold

well very disappointed

received an email from hattons saying the H class is no longer being issued with a push pull set in a train pack

order cancelled  :angry:

But the Hornby pull-push sets are freely available everywhere in several different numbers. Buy now and only have to stump up for the loco when released?

But the Hornby pull-push sets are freely available everywhere in several different numbers. Buy now and only have to stump up for the loco when released?

Ian,

I agree, but the image of late-crest 31518 seems to indicate that it's not fitted with push-pull equipment so it would not quite look right attached to a PP set. I was hoping that Hornby would release at least one non PP-fitted and one PP-fitted BR versions, similar to what I think they did previously with the M7.

Philip

• RMweb Gold

A train pack is always better value, and my understanding of push pull sets, is they are not the right version for the SE lines

According to Mike King's book - generally regarded as pretty reliable stuff - 610/11 were initially allocated to the South Eastern, while 608/9/14 were recorded at Allhallows, Westerham and Maidstone West. Plenty of scope among that lot, I think. 

EDIT : And a quick shufty in a couple of albums, including a Chris Gammell volume, reveals plenty of pics of them on the Hawkhurst Branch, too. Remember these sets were cobbled up to allow early (!) retirement of the superannuated pull-push sets then in use on such rural byways, so in their short life they would have travelled most of those still open. Remember that the BTC had issue an edict requiring withdrawal of coaches more than 30 years old, hence the rapid conversion job, from 1959 onwards, of these sets. 

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

I agree, but the image of late-crest 31518 seems to indicate that it's not fitted with push-pull equipment so it would not quite look right attached to a PP set. I was hoping that Hornby would release at least one non PP-fitted and one PP-fitted BR versions, similar to what I think they did previously with the M7.

Philip

But surely 31518 was already pull-push fitted before it received the late crest, so the image may not reflect the actual model that will arrive. The working model that Hornby has been showing certainly has holes in the side tanks where the PP apparatus would be attached.

But surely 31518 was already pull-push fitted before it received the late crest, so the image may not reflect the actual model that will arrive. The working model that Hornby has been showing certainly has holes in the side tanks where the PP apparatus would be attached.

Yes, you're right. I should have checked! According to Bradley's 'Loco History of the SECR' 31518 was 'motor-fitted' in March 1952 & it would have kept the equipment up until withdrawal in January 1964. So Hornby's image is not quite 100% correct. Hooray!

Odd decision on the SECR vesion...in terms of the number I mean

Completely agree, but not all that surprised as Hornby have form on avoiding preserved examples! I think it is a bit strange considering that it is the manufacturer that is traditionally more geared towards the 'train set'/impulse buy market compared to its competitors, but then, they know more about their market than I do! It will still sell like hot-cakes though and whilst I'm disappointed it isn't the Bluebell's number, I'll probably still get one to eventually be joined by the vermilion liveried birdcages from Bachmann.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform

What birdcage coaches?????

(I long since gave up on Bachmann ever producing them and cancelled my advance orders..)

However..

I think its just great that Hornby are doing an H class... Very welcome

I too was a bit disappointed when the email arrived from Hatton's announcing that the early crest version had been abandoned..

I can't for the life of me see why they would do such a thing..

As plenty of modellers focus on that era..

I do not think that I am the only one..

So..

Guess I'll have to go for a late crest and live with the anachronism of it all... ;)

It is not very often that Hornby and Bachmann compliment one another,

but this could happen next year. There are bound to be cases of people buying

an H and wanting a Birdcage set to go with it, and those that buy a Birdcage set

wanting something typical to haul it.

Hopefully both companies will benefit from this, I am sure, accidental coincidence .

• Like 1

We do not know if the H with a push pull pack has been actually cancelled as the actual 2017 range is not announced yet.

We are missing an H with non flared bunker which was first stated at the start. Now maybe that variant will be tooled up later for a future program or maybe it is not announced yet. Personally I have no use for another push pull set, and will wait for a non flared model without the pack.

However the preserved member is missing, surely the most popular one to do. It is possible that Hornby might say that 488 Adams radial did not sell as well as hoped, however that would be a very poor comparison since 488 was also done by Oxfordrail who got their's to the market first.

Bachmann's C class 592 in SECR livery sold faster then light and should be a very good indication for the H. Likewise 30064 of the USA tanks, another Bluebell loco out sold the others. As did 2 versions of Bachmann E4. Bluebell models do sell.

We also know that the Orginal Merchant Navy has 4 tooled variants, yet the 4 announced so far cover only 3 of them. So my thoughts are that January will bring extra surprises to both the MN and the H. Watch this space...

• RMweb Gold

What birdcage coaches?????

(I long since gave up on Bachmann ever producing them and cancelled my advance orders..)

However..

I think its just great that Hornby are doing an H class... Very welcome

I too was a bit disappointed when the email arrived from Hatton's announcing that the early crest version had been abandoned..

I can't for the life of me see why they would do such a thing..

As plenty of modellers focus on that era..

I do not think that I am the only one..

So..

Guess I'll have to go for a late crest and live with the anachronism of it all... ;)

There is little doubt they will do an early-crest example at some point, so why not just wait for it?

None of the air-smoothed MNs so far listed is correct for post-1954 so far as I can make out so I'll be hanging fire on the early releases of them pending further announcements.

John

Yes, you're right. I should have checked! According to Bradley's 'Loco History of the SECR' 31518 was 'motor-fitted' in March 1952 & it would have kept the equipment up until withdrawal in January 1964. So Hornby's image is not quite 100% correct. Hooray!

IF 518 is, indeed, issued without P/P gear it's no disaster as S.E.Finecast do a kit for the bits ! ..................... very silly of Hornby If they do that, though - or maybe the number will change before it rolls off the production line ?

However the preserved member is missing, surely the most popular one to do. It is possible that Hornby might say that 488 Adams radial did not sell as well as hoped, however that would be a very poor comparison since 488 was also done by Oxfordrail who got their's to the market first.

Bachmann's C class 592 in SECR livery sold faster then light and should be a very good indication for the H. Likewise 30064 of the USA tanks, another Bluebell loco out sold the others. As did 2 versions of Bachmann E4. Bluebell models do sell.

You had me worried there for a moment, but Hattons are still showing the SE&CR liveried version for pre-order ......

post-25673-0-14097600-1480348409_thumb.jpg

IF 518 is, indeed, issued without P/P gear it's no disaster as S.E.Finecast do a kit for the bits ! ..................... very silly of Hornby If they do that, though - or maybe the number will change before it rolls off the production line ?

Graham Muz has indicated on his website that it will be PP fitted.

The drawing for 30518 is PP fitted. Look closely.

• RMweb Gold

The drawing for 30518 is PP fitted. Look closely.

Graham Muz has indicated on his website that it will be PP fitted.

Yes indeed R3539 number 31518 BR late crest  lined black will be correctly pull push fitted.

Yep, but it is not the preserved member. I will order this one.

Oh, I see, thanks for explaining.

Leaving aside your "preserved member", I take your point; the Hattons description gives the number '308', not the preserved 263.

Possibly this is a mistake, of course, but could it be something quite clever from Hornby and the Bluebell's point of view?  A standard range in Wainwright livery and a limited edition Bluebell tie-in?

I think I absolutely must pre-order this.  

• RMweb Gold

Please note that if and when Hornby may or may not (I think that covers all bases) do a verison of 263 as currently on the Bluebell in SECR livery it will only be correct for as preserved condition as 263 originally was one of the flat side bunker versions and the Bluebell have fitted the flared top in preservation.

[edit] See Chris's post below advising it was fitted with flared bunker in BR days rather than by the Bluebell, but still means that any issue of 263 in SECR livery will only be correct for as preserved.

Edited by Graham_Muz