Robin Brasher

Whats really annoying about this model is that when you do get the body off you will find a single screw holding the boiler/cab front/can roof to the rest of the body. If Bachmann had designed it slightly differently that screw could have passed through the chassis so that it could be undone then only that screw and the one of the front would need to be undone to access the dcc socket  Indeed on one of my Standard 4 2-6-4Ts I have left that screw undone so to access the socket all I need to do is remove the front screw - you just need to watch out for any small details falling off first time you take the body apart. Wonder if the reference to a part having to be cut comes from a posting of mine - the same Standard 4 had a strange up and down motion which I traced to the the speedo and cut it so that whilst it looks like its fully connected up its actually two separate parts.

• 6 months later...

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and convert my Standard 4MT Tank 2-6-4 to DCC.  This is my first high detail steam loco conversion, all others up to now having been diesel or Hornby Railroad locos.

First off I experienced similar issues to the common problem in how to get the body off.  But I followed all the tips given here but still got stuck on one aspect, part 350-125 see red arrow on photo.

post-4412-0-84284700-1506376627_thumb.jpg

With all the screws undone the body was loose, but this bracket (which holds all the side pipe work) appeared to be stuck to the metal chassis.  After a bit of poking and levering with a screwdriver and one scary final tug the body came off.  Not sure but it appeared that this bracket part was glued/wedged in place on the chassis.

Once the body came off I was surprised to find that the loco was DCC ready!  Which considering it is around 12 years old was unexpected, especially as the box did not have a DCC Ready label.

A quick look around the body for space lead me to see the gap between the motor and the 8 pin socket (red arrow in photo below) which was the perfect size for the Hatton’s DCR-8PIN-Harness decoder.

post-4412-0-78264700-1506376632_thumb.jpg

The fitting was perfect especially as the alignment of pin 1 meant that the harness was facing the right way for the location of the decoder.

post-4412-0-94600700-1506376639_thumb.jpg

The body went back on easily and the screws all lined up.  Quite happy with the outcome, just need to test.  Hope this is of help.

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and convert my Standard 4MT Tank 2-6-4 to DCC.  This is my first high detail steam loco conversion, all others up to now having been diesel or Hornby Railroad locos.

First off I experienced similar issues to the common problem in how to get the body off.  But I followed all the tips given here but still got stuck on one aspect, part 350-125 see red arrow on photo.

attachicon.gifP1150299.JPG

With all the screws undone the body was loose, but this bracket (which holds all the side pipe work) appeared to be stuck to the metal chassis.  After a bit of poking and levering with a screwdriver and one scary final tug the body came off.  Not sure but it appeared that this bracket part was glued/wedged in place on the chassis.

Once the body came off I was surprised to find that the loco was DCC ready!  Which considering it is around 12 years old was unexpected, especially as the box did not have a DCC Ready label.

A quick look around the body for space lead me to see the gap between the motor and the 8 pin socket (red arrow in photo below) which was the perfect size for the Hatton’s DCR-8PIN-Harness decoder.

attachicon.gifP1150301.JPG

The fitting was perfect especially as the alignment of pin 1 meant that the harness was facing the right way for the location of the decoder.

attachicon.gifP1150307.JPG

The body went back on easily and the screws all lined up.  Quite happy with the outcome, just need to test.  Hope this is of help.

Thanks for the post. I hope to do the same some day but with sound. Mine must be as old as years, one of the first batch.

Oh, if only Bachmann would do some bluebell numbers at some point (either 80064, 80100 or 80151 - seriously I may renumber mine anyway), I could then retire the pair of Wrenn ones (actually they are no longer used, thanks to the Fairburn tank as well as the BR 4MT).

Given the Bluebell has three, it is disappointing that Bachmann have never produced even one. They have done NYMRs 80135 TWICE now, and covered an SVR (79), Swanage (104) and nomadic (136) locos. I'd love a Bluebell Tank, esp '64 with early crest as fond memories of her on early visits to the line. 80151 has obviously been a regular performer and will be again, while a '100 could maybe be a 'Bluebell Exclusive' (special/ltd edition tacked on to another batch) fundraising tool once the overhaul efforts start.

The PRCLT locos (80 and 98) have also been overlooked, which is a shame, especially as along with 79, they were mainline machines until relatively recently (i.e. release a model in plain lined black without OHL flashes and you can appeal to modellers from 1950s to 2010s...)

Unlike 'namers' when I can see the desire for a bit of diversity, there should be more logic to try to hit both preservation and period modellers with one model.

Lovely model, good weight, just suffered from a somewhat unrefined body removal system - I still have to refit injector pipework to mine.

• Like 1

Of the three on the Bluebell 80064 and 80151 were allocated on the Southern Region at some point in their lives during BR days (80151 from when it was built, 80064 transferred from the MR I believe).

It is possible Bachmann has not done them because Wrenn did them. But I seriously cannot call Wrenn locos "models" even if one of my pair has a 5 pole motor.

80100 was - I think - always an eastern region loco, never done by Wrenn. Bachmann could please both Bluebell (SRish) and ER fans in one go. Though to be honest, I think 80151 is doubtless the most popular of the 3 at the moment because she is in service.

Especially if they produced an ex LBSC Pull Push trailer - sulky service train pack anyone...?

Not sure 80151 worked the Sulky Service (someone will know, I suppose if it was shedded in the area it might have done). 80154 is famous for working the last train.

There is a photo of 80151 (according to the caption) in Terry Gough's book BR Past & Present - Sussex hauling one solitary ex LBSC coach at Barcombe. I'm pleased to report that this train was recreated on the West Sussex 0 gauge test track at the Worthing show at the weekend with my model of S3847S and a friend's 4MT.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old topic but have recently repaired a Bachman 2-6-4 fora friend. Repair was fine but cant work out how the Injector under the cab fits. (nDint think I needed to remove this but I did!) I know this is an old thread but unfortuantely the pictures dont seem to work. Has anyone got a picture of how the pipework should fit please? I am usually an 0 gauge modeller so not used to things being quite this fidly!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thestourbridgelion said:

I know this is an old topic but have recently repaired a Bachman 2-6-4 fora friend. Repair was fine but cant work out how the Injector under the cab fits. (nDint think I needed to remove this but I did!) I know this is an old thread but unfortuantely the pictures dont seem to work. Has anyone got a picture of how the pipework should fit please? I am usually an 0 gauge modeller so not used to things being quite this fidly!

Plenty of pics on that Flicker is it?  

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

12" to the foot any use?

Bob

Injectors, 80105, Wensleydale Railway

Courtesy of Caitlin S. (Flickr)

Great Central Railway Loughborough Leicestershire 13th February 2022

Courtesy of loose_grip_99 (Flickr)

Edited by Bob Reid
Photo Credit's added...!
  • Like 1

On 11/05/2024 at 18:01, thestourbridgelion said:

This bit of piping is double layered. Took me a while to figure out how it went back together. 

• 5 weeks later...

I've just got a Bachmann 4mt tank number 80136  and the previous owner has either broken or removed the injector under the cab.

Does anybody know if there's an aftermarket component I could fit to replace it? it's also missing the cab steps I think these may have been in the detail bag and its missing one cab window. not much I can do about that.

Also despite having a good clean and service, it's slightly noisy when running. Is there anything I've missed? it is not excessively noisy so it may quieten down when it's been run in IMG_6985.jpeg.e5a41926d47fce9eb00c433846460990.jpeg

IMG_6979.jpeg.df477cfa2bac38c9c6890bf1e40785ee.jpeg

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Thanks

Which one would be the most suitable from wizard models? 

I’m going to do an order with Bachmann for other parts 

I'll ask them if they have the detail bag 

Think I've found out why it is a little noisy It is the motor so will get a new one 

I have found a window in my spares box just needs trimming to fit 

Should be a good loco when finished and it's the NYMR one so it saved me from getting one renumbered. Looking on eBay £65 wasn't too bad even if it was a little bit Dusty and had a few little issues.

I think most happened when the previous owner fitted and removed a DCC decoder as its fitted with a Hornby blanking plug 

Thanks again for your help 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

15 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

I think most happened when the previous owner fitted and removed a DCC decoder as its fitted with a Hornby blanking plug 

Pretty common with this loco, you can't get the body off without trashing the pipework to some degree, all depends on how much glue was used in the factory for your particular one. It should all come away with the body, but the bracket holding the undercab pipework gets glued to the chassis .......

The bit under the cab is missing on my model .Bachmann doesn't sell this part 

Micklner suggested wizard models but I'm not sure what to get nothing looks like the part as in the picture.do I have to bend the components to shape ?

I have ordered the rest of the pipe work from Bachmann 

also need the steps for the loco Bachmann don’t have these so need some after market ones to fit 

IMG_6985.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2024 at 23:00, Monkey28 said:

Should be a good loco when finished and it's the NYMR one so it saved me from getting one renumbered. Looking on eBay £65 wasn't too bad even if it was a little bit Dusty and had a few little issues.

On 12/06/2024 at 21:07, Monkey28 said:

I've just got a Bachmann 4mt tank number 80136 

The NYMR loco is 80135, not 80136.

The pipework under the cab can be fabricated from odd bits of brass tube and wire soldered together - the photo shows the pattern.

Steps can be made from plasticard and the glazing can be replaced using Glue and Glaze.

• Like 1