Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol Announce New OO Gauge Functioning Water Tower

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

You've got to wonder who thought this would be a good idea? I thought I'd been magically transported to April 1st.

It's up to them of course, but what a waste of resources. Never seen this mentioned in any poll. On the other hand a working turntable.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting initiative from Dapol. Whilst I’ve been critical of some of their QC slips I also think they deserve some plaudits for ploughing their own furrow and developing products such as their black range, highly detailed yet affordable O gauge models like the Terrier and 08 and now this. One of the areas where British OO still lags behind HO is in exploiting digital functionality and using working effects, some may find that gimmicky but it adds play value and nobody has to buy models with these features. I don’t like sound and find it a distraction but I also understand that others like it, I have a son who loves stuff like sound and working features. I hope this is successful for Dapol, we hear a lot about innovation in OO, I think Dapol (whatever slips they’ve made, and let’s be honest, they’re not the only model producer to have dropped the ball at some point) really are innovating in OO and I wish them success.

• RMweb Gold

No matter which way I look at this, I just can't get my mind around why a water tower needs to talk.

If it's a 'gimmick factor' to attract the younger element, they why not have other railway accessories that talk?

'Hey, Mr Signalman, when are you going to clear me to green?'

'One moment, Mr Home Signal, I'm just in the lavatory!'

'OK, no hurry!'

Sound of grunting and lever pulling.

'OK, Mr Home Signal, there you go'.

'Thanks, Mr Signalman, that feels great! Now why is the train 27 minutes late?'

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't make it clear if it comes with selectable tank engine and tender engine positions for the bag (which could get quite entertaining I suppose) and I didn't hear the splash and the swearing when the bag was swung back away from the engine.  I reckon somebody has been digging out ideas from old copies of the 'Railway Modeller'  (anyone else remember those little cartoons of wild ideas for working accessories?) so I wonder what we'll see in the future.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You've got to wonder who thought this would be a good idea? I thought I'd been magically transported to April 1st.

It's up to them of course, but what a waste of resources. Never seen this mentioned in any poll. On the other hand a working turntable.......

A working traverser could also be nice - preferably at an affordable price.

Postman Pat theme tune in the background would be good.

… or, failing that, "Th*m*s the tank engine".

I wish they would stop this nonsense and get on with the streamlined railcar. (feel free to replace the railcar with your own preferred 'in the works' product). Just my opinion.

A non-streamlined one could also be nice (possibly even one of the 2 car sets) - the Limby one is getting a bit dated and hard to find in some places - and even second hand Lima versions seem to be going for silly money when they are available.

Huw.

• Like 2

Ahh...the wonderful moaning begins! To all those who love to moan, Dapol is offering a functioning and non-functioning variant! So if you have something to moan about the sounds etc...Just remember, no one forced you to buy it and if you want one without sound you'll get one!

• Like 1

May the good Lord spare us - shades of giraffe cars and low bridges.

What goes around - comes around, regardless of it's merits !!

It could only be from Dapol.

Regards,

John isherwood.

I know of at least two railway modellers of long standing fine reputation who, when asked what got their enthusiasm when they were young, replied "the giraffe car".

Don't knock attempts to hook the younger generation.  Their money helps fund the models we want.....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

I know of at least two railway modellers of long standing fine reputation who, when asked what got their enthusiasm when they were young, replied "the giraffe car".

Don't knock attempts to hook the younger generation.  Their money helps fund the models we want.....

Les

At £50 I doubt if the younger generation will be able to afford this expensive toy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ahh...the wonderful moaning begins! To all those who love to moan, Dapol is offering a functioning and non-functioning variant! So if you have something to moan about the sounds etc...Just remember, no one forced you to buy it and if you want one without sound you'll get one!

Fair comment, but I don't think it's all moaning.

Technically some of this is known as 'taking the pisss'.

• Like 4

At £50 I doubt if the younger generation will be able to afford this expensive toy

But perhaps their parents can?

If I had a 10 year old grandchild with a 00 trainset, I think this would be a fun present.

Being sound equipped it has the double advantage of a little payback for one's own offspring.

• Like 2

I'd definitely loose the voice recordings. Hope its more reliable than their signals. Two fitted so far and two failed so not overly confident!

OFF TOPIC   sorry ,  but  I  fitted  around  10  signals  when  first  launched  7  still work  OK  (apparently not my  layout)

Recently  I purchased   5 of  the  latest SR Home  signals  all of  which  failed  ( retailer  refunded)

• Like 1

But perhaps their parents can?

I'm a parent and it's not good value at either £25 for nonworking version or all singing and dancing version at £50. For me this would have to be a main present at that price what a disappointment that would be for my little chap. Think I will spend £20 extra to get a Lego high speed train set, much better value and much more fun. Looks a little fragile and probably aimed at those with deeper pockets than me.

• Like 1

That might be next year's gimmick, or a small chiller to ensure it stays frozen up........

Les

Only needs a water heater under the water outlet - with a flickering red / orange LED to complete the set then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea of working lineside items, but I do feel they need to be executed properly. The only time I want to hear voices is either platform hubbub or station announcements. Everything else should just be non-human sounds like equipment or wildlife.

So, if the voices get removed then it's a possible for a future layout for me. But ideally I'd like to see other versions than GWR first.

• Like 2

Les

Although not of the fine reputation of those modellers, I hereby confess to have owned not only the exploding box car (remember the lever to make the cap go off? … can you even buy caps now in today's nanny state?) but also the rocket launcher to make it explode. And they were great fun, too. 

But one matures…. whilst I would never contemplate an operating water tower today, I agree with your comment on attracting the young, a theme frequently discussed in these pages.

Mike.

• Like 2