Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

Larry may I be permitted to suggest something else?  If I understand correctly you are very fond of the Oswestry area but now need a smaller prototype to base a model on.  What about Llynclys?  The  building still survives and if you move the goods yard diagonally from the S.E. corner to the N.W (where the Tanat valley line goes off) you have a similar layout to Carrog but you can use Oswestry locos. The road bridge to the S. of the station gives one of the scenic breaks.  Traffic could be interesting with through trains to Welshpool and beyond (43xx/78xx) and local traffic to Llanfyllin (464xx), pannier for pick-up freight.  Not sure that 14xx worked down there but 58xx did.  Best of all it's ex Cambrian!  Personally I find researching/planning a layout and building stock much more interesting than actually building it. Don't know if this link will work http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/llynclys/index.shtml

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

I know...I painted them.  But when David had his historical hat on he worked on the principle of historical plausibility. As regards 52119, I doubt the Western Region would have wanted this machine falling to bits on its line!  :biggrin_mini2:

When I visited the layout the space underneath was packed with gauge 1 coaches for the garden line I reckon David could have kept you pretty busy painting coaches. I think I know what you mean about the foreign locos. Stretch the line too far and you can destroy the atmosphere you wish to create.

Don

Far be it from me to tell anyone what they should have on their model railway, but as long as a loco isn't too heavy or too large for the infrastructure, and it's really wanted, it can always be justified on a special working. Of which there was no shortage in BR days. Just needs a 'SLS' or 'RCTS' headboard. (Other societies are available, but these spring to mind.)

Far be it from me to tell anyone what they should have on their model railway, but as long as a loco isn't too heavy or too large for the infrastructure, and it's really wanted, it can always be justified on a special working. Of which there was no shortage in BR days. Just needs a 'SLS' or 'RCTS' headboard. (Other societies are available, but these spring to mind.)

I know what you mean but I'm just trying to sort out the LMS link.

Larry may I be permitted to suggest something else?  If I understand correctly you are very fond of the Oswestry area but now need a smaller prototype to base a model on.  What about Llynclys?  The  building still survives and if you move the goods yard diagonally from the S.E. corner to the N.W (where the Tanat valley line goes off) you have a similar layout to Carrog but you can use Oswestry locos. The road bridge to the S. of the station gives one of the scenic breaks.  Traffic could be interesting with through trains to Welshpool and beyond (43xx/78xx) and local traffic to Llanfyllin (464xx), pannier for pick-up freight.  Not sure that 14xx worked down there but 58xx did.  Best of all it's ex Cambrian!  Personally I find researching/planning a layout and building stock much more interesting than actually building it. Don't know if this link will work http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/llynclys/index.shtml

But the truth is Llynclys means nothing to me. Granted I had never visited Oswestry but I felt I knew it by the time i had spent months soaking up research and images from publications and the 'net. I know Carrog and have nostalgia for the place.

Larry, For the Freight side, which route will you go down, Dapol RTR, Parkside Dundas Plastic Kits or Brass Kits, or a fair mix of all to suit your needs?

A good friend has fixed me up with Dapol steel mineral wagons and assorted wooden wagons, so there is quite a bit or repainting or weathering waiting down the line. Brass or plastic, I don't mind so long as I can produce good solid underframes with no flimsy plasticky bits waiting to be dismembered. Parkside looks to have a good range. When it comes to choosing goods vans, I will build one at a time just as Jintyman does. 

But the truth is Llynclys means nothing to me. Granted I had never visited Oswestry but I felt I knew it by the time i had spent months soaking up research and images from publications and the 'net. I know Carrog and have nostalgia for the place.

Then it's the right choice.  I've always had an interest in all things Great Western (a result of indoctrination by my 'old man') but my main modelling activity for the last 20 yrs has been based on the Bolton area where I grew up. As you say it's all about nostalgia and recreating that memory. The 14xx is for a planned 'holiday home' project - a minimum space layout based on Hemyock.

Cheers,

Ray.

As a mate of mine said "Nostalgia's not what it used to be though!"

• RMweb Premium

It's silly and fascinating what we can and can't live with. My layout is fictional (both in location and the fact Ive not built it yet!) so arguably nothing can ever be right anyway and I care very little about details on wagons as long as they are roughly right. But personally I would draw the line at having a loco in a livery or form it never actually carried even if plenty of class mates did and I like to pick examples that were based in the area and at a specific time.

Ultimately it's whatever makes you happy and those weird connections with places that make you want to model something like them are individually very important!

Then it's the right choice.  I've always had an interest in all things Great Western (a result of indoctrination by my 'old man') but my main modelling activity for the last 20 yrs has been based on the Bolton area where I grew up. As you say it's all about nostalgia and recreating that memory. The 14xx is for a planned 'holiday home' project - a minimum space layout based on Hemyock.

Cheers,

Ray.

As a mate of mine said "Nostalgia's not what it used to be though!"

I trained at Bolton MPD...We walked from Moses Gate station. It seemed as if all the Fowler duds (0-8-0's and 2-6-2T's) were stored there haha. 

I trained at Bolton MPD...We walked from Moses Gate station. It seemed as if all the Fowler duds (0-8-0's and 2-6-2T's) were stored there haha. 

I lived about mid way between Crescent Rd. sheds and Moses Gate so had to pass the sheds on my way to and from school.  On the way home I always made a point of looking out for anything unusual (or green) on the shed and if there was I would ring the bell on the bus and jump off outside the shed entrance. After a quick 'bunk' I'd have to walk the last mile home as I'd already spent my bus fare.  I remember the scrap line well - some of those locos were there for years like 44000 and some of the last Aspinall A class as well as the types you mention. It must have been interesting to work there - all I can go on is Jim Markland's 'Bolton Engineman' trilogy which I tend to read and re-read. My uncle's Dad Gus Mercer was a Plodder Lane (LNW) driver who transferred to Crescent Rd. on closure. The first footplate I ever remember going on was a 4F at Plodder Lane. Ah! happy days.

Ray.

A spot of research this afternoon revealed a photo of a 41XX Large Prairie on passenger at Carrog Station. Another photo shows a Standard 4 4-6-0 on three LMS Stanier coaches. No date so it may be after the L.M.Region took over in 1963. Various books have been produced on the Ruabon-Barmouth line ranging from around £7.00 to £30.00. Can anyone recommend?

I've had a copy of the Foxline book "The Llangollen Line" for years and can thoroughly recommend it - currently reduced to 15.29 at Booklaw.  I haven't bought the new "Ruabon - Barmouth Line" yet but intend to.  Maybe someone else can comment on it?

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

I've had a copy of the Foxline book "The Llangollen Line" for years and can thoroughly recommend it - currently reduced to 15.29 at Booklaw.  I haven't bought the new "Ruabon - Barmouth Line" yet but intend to.  Maybe someone else can comment on it?

Ray.

The Ruabon - Barmouth Line is excellent, profusely illustrated, various track layout drawings and so on - a worthy, if expensive, tome for anyone interested in this line.  Plenty Standard 4 pics as they were of course well in evidence in WR days but I think the Ivatt Class 2s getting further west than Corwen were probably post 'sell out' to the other lot.

But I don't know about accuracy although it seems to be good - I only did the line once (on a radio Land Cruise train - but no radio) so it's a good memory stirrer for me.

Thanks. I have had the Foxline book since it was first published, as Bill Rear was a good friend. I may now buy the £30.00 book then. The thought of BR Std Class 4 4-6-0's doesn't inspire me, as I have always associated them with the final years...

I have left a query on a website about scale drawings of Carrog Up station building.  The one on the Down is a standard GWR waiting room so maybe drawing of similar buildings have appeared in model railway magazines.

The one and only time I went over the line pre-preservation it was on a Wrexham - Bala working hauled by an Ivatt 2-6-2T in 1962 or 63. I still have my notebook and at least one photo of the occasion but I'm not at home at present so can't check.  I remember being disappointed because it was mid-week and the Ivatt was used. I was told, that on Saturdays, it was a 57xx working - maybe one released from working the Minera and Brymbo branches?

Ray.

Some consideration has been given to 'period' overnight, which I admit I hadn't previously given much thought to in relation to Carrog. With Oswestry I had chosen circa 1957-8 so I could run BR maroon coaches and lined green ex.GWR engines. I wasn't worried about having a Dean Goods and would even have accepted a BR Std. 4 4-6-0.  However, the Carrog of my imagination doesn't fit into this period too well....... I can't explain why although I have a feeling 'nostalgia' has something to do with it.

I have considered the scene before the Big Four disappeared but big initials and brown & cream do nothing for me.....I have seen too much in preservation. But the early period of British Railways has something going for it, as it was a period of vitality with initiatives to stimulate traffic. Adding my own, there could be Rhyl to Llangollen Eisteddfod day-excursions via Denbigh reversing at Corwen using scratch rakes of ex.LMS coaches. Scope for the odd LNWR coach there!  Coal capacity would probably demand a tender loco for this job...... Enter stage right one 4F 0-6-0..!

I presume Carrog lost it's goods facilities to Corwen when the GWR Dean camping coach resided there, so I will reinstate a coal yard and a landing for unloading goods. This early period sorts out loco and carriage liveries as well.

Some consideration has been given to 'period' overnight, which I admit I hadn't previously given much thought to in relation to Carrog. With Oswestry I had chosen circa 1957-8 so I could run BR maroon coaches and lined green ex.GWR engines. I wasn't worried about having a Dean Goods and would even have accepted a BR Std. 4 4-6-0.  However, the Carrog of my imagination doesn't fit into this period too well....... I can't explain why although I have a feeling 'nostalgia' has something to do with it.

I have considered the scene before the Big Four disappeared but big initials and brown & cream do nothing for me.....I have seen too much in preservation. But the early period of British Railways has something going for it, as it was a period of vitality with initiatives to stimulate traffic. Adding my own, there could be Rhyl to Llangollen Eisteddfod day-excursions via Denbigh reversing at Corwen using scratch rakes of ex.LMS coaches. Scope for the odd LNWR coach there!  Coal capacity would probably demand a tender loco for this job...... Enter stage right one 4F 0-6-0..!

I presume Carrog lost it's goods facilities to Corwen when the GWR Dean camping coach resided there, so I will reinstate a coal yard and a landing for unloading goods. This early period sorts out loco and carriage liveries as well.

Hi Coach,

Now that's a nice scenario, and of course the Eisteddfod traffic is an excellent compromise for working LMR locos onto WR metals.

Not only that, you would have a real mish mash of stock, old and new order, mixed up on secondary lines as it was.

Jinty ;)

The early BR period is a fascinating time to model. Lots of livery options, still plenty of grubby pre nationalisation colours plus the newer BR options. Should make for some colourful trains.

Same for the wagons as well private owners mixed in with the latest BR new builds.

All in all the making of a good layout.

Hi Larry, sounds to me like you've talked yourself into a wonderful Layout in the making, so much potential as has been said already, wow , cant wait now to see the Title change and a Track Plan.

Good man, well done.

Hi Larry, sounds to me like you've talked yourself into a wonderful Layout in the making, so much potential as has been said already, wow , cant wait now to see the Title change and a Track Plan.

Good man, well done.

Hi Andy,

"I'm going to build a layout" with nothing to show for it was not a place I had intended to be. But Oswestry isn't to be and so for the moment I am using this thread as a preamble to Carrog...... Pick a location, research the route, choose a date, be confident you can build it, then gerronwithit.  

What with one thing and another, I haven't even been in the layout shed to re-shuffle track. Hopefully Carrog will save space then part of the baseboard can be narrowed. Also there are too many point of the wrong kind of hand.... :mail:

I'm sure it'll look great. And with your track record, be up and running by early February.

I happen to think the Ruabon-Barmouth line is a wonderful prototype. I only knew it vaguely as a kid (and of course as its Llangollen Railway format, of which I am a proud shareholder.) I was always fascinated by Bonwm Halt, which seemed to have about one train a day timetabled. Lovely part of the world. 

• RMweb Premium

I am still on the lookout for a scale drawing of what might be termed a typical GWR design waiting shelter of the type still extant on Carrog and Llangollen down platforms. I feel sure something exists in a magazine.

The book "GWR Country Stations" Chris Leigh has drawings of Somerford (same basic type as Wargrave, Lambourn, Llangollen etc). Could you draft something up using the doors, windows and standard spacings? I presume a photo copy breaches copywrite but happy to assist with info.

Archived