Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

I have not built his 4F, but I have built a few of his wagons over the years, which are made of brass with a few white metal castings.

These kits are very well thought out and are a joy to build and of good quality, usual disclaimer just a satisfied customer.

Martyn.

I have not built his 4F, but I have built a few of his wagons over the years, which are made of brass with a few white metal castings.

These kits are very well thought out and are a joy to build and of good quality, usual disclaimer just a satisfied customer.

Martyn.

It is worth knowing they are well thought out. 

I painted an early Bachmann Brass 4F for friend Bill Rear ages ago and it looked a bit naked under the boiler. Yours looks the part though.

Hi Coach,

I think the eye can be deceived quite easily by weathering and the suchlike, a prime example is the recent 08 I finished.

The loco was finished and some pictures posted on my WB thread, and it received 24 C/Clevers and 7 Likes, but nobody noticed that there were no brakes on the thing!!! The original brakes had been mangled and a couple of bits lost, so I decided (after discussion with the owner) that I would get Alan from Modelu to draw up the whole assemblies from one made up unit and then print LH and RH ones which I will retrospectively fit to the model.

It is a perfect example of the eye being drawn away from things with the overall view and the setting that the picture is taken in taken as a whole.

There you are, the cat's out of the bag!!!!!!  :O  :O

I built a JLTRT 4F last year, which was a breeze really, as the boiler, firebox and smokebox come as one piece, and the tender inner section is one piece as well, and I certainly wouldn't object to building another either.

Jinty

Hi Coach,

I built a JLTRT 4F last year, which was a breeze really, as the boiler, firebox and smokebox come as one piece, and the tender inner section is one piece as well, and I certainly wouldn't object to building another either.

Jinty

Do the JLTRT thick resin inner sections get in the way when it comes to placing DCC decoders and speakers David? 

Do the JLTRT thick resin inner sections get in the way when it comes to placing DCC decoders and speakers David? 

Hi Coach,

Yes they do really, I suppose a chunk could be removed carefully from the tender resin insert before building, to give a place for the speaker, and  I reckon a fair sized speaker could be fitted, but forward in the boiler area, there is reduced room, just enough for a decoder really.

Jinty ;)

Backtracking on Post #358.......................There'll be no BR black 'Manors' on my layout! Which means a reversion to post 1956. 

GWR brick waiting room drawings........... I crossed that hurdle last night and have now made computer drawings for Carrog's Down station building.  

Larry

I too have a Connoiseur 4F and it really is an easy build with fair detail. I added some lost wax fittings from Laurie Griffin and a Zimo 645 in the tender. It runs really well and for me it is important to run slowly which it does. I am sure Jim McGeown will be at Bristol on January 22nd. He will have his brass wagons etc. Unfortunately most of Jim's models will not be appropriate to North Wales ex-GWR.

Best wishes for the Season, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas Mike and family. 

I noted you posted spot on midnight. We went to bed early so that we wouldn't be gran and grandad falling asleep all over other people's houses this afternoon...   :mosking:

Thanks - we were round at the neighbours until well after 10pm and came home to unwind and have a cuppa so I arrived on here rather late - I suspect the falling asleep will come in early evening for me but my son has pulled one of his usual Christmas tricks and presented me with a very nice photo album of SNCF subjects in 1950.  It's good job  I can't afford continental model prices as there are some very tempting scenes.

You have movement, and it's positive, all sounds like your moving in the right direction.

Now just to throw a little spanner in the works, AND TRY AND SAVE YOU SOME MONEY.

I read an article in a Magazine many years ago, and I think it was by Chris Leigh, and the basics of it was that on any Model Railway of any size, an odd number of coaches always looks better and longer than an even Number. Apparently it's something to do with how the eyes and mind react and so a 5 Coach Train may look more pleasing than a 6 Coach Train. Plus if you have the same length Platform then there will be a Platform overhang, rather than a Coach tight fit.

Just my little two peneth.

Thanks for that Andy. I mentioned 6 coach trains merely as a number to give people an indication of platform length, which is difficult going off my photos. Normal everyday trains in steam days were 2 or 3 coaches only, although longer trains were seen on summer extras to Barmouth. Chris Leigh might indeed have a point but we will see.....

I read an article in a Magazine many years ago, and I think it was by Chris Leigh, and the basics of it was that on any Model Railway of any size, an odd number of coaches always looks better and longer than an even Number. Apparently it's something to do with how the eyes and mind react and so a 5 Coach Train may look more pleasing than a 6 Coach Train. Plus if you have the same length Platform then there will be a Platform overhang, rather than a Coach tight fit.

I think that sounds more plausible.

IMO it does look far better than having coaches dangling off the end of the platform, especially at a terminus.

This will be interesting to see working.

It was the first thing I experimented with seeing as (some) 0 gauge wagons have good long distance rollability even on a slight incline. I raised the track slightly towards the end of the siding so that wagons would not go slamming into the buffers.

If your looking for a New Name Larry, how about Llanrog?

Carrog was formerly known as Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy but for years it was part of Corwen.  In 1866 the parish of Glyndyfrdwy was created. The GWR chose the name Carrog for its station because it was easier to pronounce for travellers. But it could have chosen something else such as Corwen North, which is a good 'railway' name. 

The start of a happy new year, and capturing the moment this afternoon at Carrog........

post-6680-0-18925400-1483289078_thumb.jpg

I had made arrangements in December to go over to Carrog station on the Llangollen Railway to take measurements of the station buildings, distances from platform edge and lots of other things that will be vital when construction in 7mm starts. Everyone was very kind today and I was allowed access to the normally closed Down platform. Today's 'Mince Pie Specials' brought the season to an end until the LR reopens for half-term late February, so I captured the above fleeting moment while measuring up the goods yard.

Archived