Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

Such a lovely Line, and a lovely Station Larry, Also a really good picture. I went to the Great Central yesterday, and as you will see in  my Bristol Victoria Thread, the Hall was running, although its a very nice Preserved Line, it's not got the cosy intimate friendly feel of the Llangollen Line.

Such a lovely Line, and a lovely Station Larry, Also a really good picture. I went to the Great Central yesterday, and as you will see in  my Bristol Victoria Thread, the Hall was running, although its a very nice Preserved Line, it's not got the cosy intimate friendly feel of the Llangollen Line.

Bloody 'ell, you must be the Linford Christie of layout building.  If Bristol Victoria is 00 gauge, where is the 0 gauge Andy?  Every year PGH and I say we will make the most of our local heritage railways, then we look for excuses not to visit 'cos of traffic, rain prospect, barbers, moon not in conjunction with Uranus, Dean Goods depression and so on. So today 1st January was a good start. I came home with 54 pictures and barely a loco in sight.

Bloody 'ell, you must be the Linford Christie of layout building.  If Bristol Victoria is 00 gauge, where is the 0 gauge Andy?  Every year PGH and I say we will make the most of our local heritage railways, then we look for excuses not to visit 'cos of traffic, rain prospect, barbers, moon not in conjunction with Uranus, Dean Goods depression and so on. So today 1st January was a good start. I came home with 54 pictures and barely a loco in sight.

Next to you in the O Gauge section Larry.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116976-beale-street-sidings-mod-transfer-sidings/page-22

I have some mixed emotions about heritage railways, some positive in the area of preservation, some negative in the area of only representing a dream that was never true during my lifetime. Where is the grime?

I have also found some of the management at heritage lines to be OTT when it comes to dealing with the general public, of which I am probably a rather too knowledgeable member!

That being said, I will never forget the day spent on the GWSR firing and driving City of Truro over ten years ago. The loco was not the only star, the crew and bobby were friendly, helpful and taught me a lot about the roles they played.

I must admit, though, that the combined Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways are hard to beat when it come to an efficient, friendly organization. I took this photo at Rhyd Ddu last week.

post-20733-0-77381700-1483296841_thumb.jpg

It might be words I will later regret but it looks to me as if you might at last have cracked the ideal layout plan Larry - less is more.  Hope it works out for you.

After a day taking measurements and photos of everything in sight, Carrog station has become a full-fledged 'project'. For me at any rate, it is a reversion to the 1960's way of modelling when a simple country branchline was all I could manage when so much had to be hand built in between other 'pulls' on one's time.

I only realised this week the temporary terminus is named Corwen East. I drove past the new Corwen Terminus yesterday and it'll be great when it's open. With ease of parking, I expect a lot of ticketing will start there instead of Llangollen.  Councillors will no doubt be wanting to promote Corwen as much as possible and I do wonder if Carrog and Glyndyfrdwy will return to being wayside stations if gala events with road & rail transport use land in Corwen. That said, I noticed Carrog is a good starting off point for walkers and Pont Carrog is a nice place to sit beside the river on hot days. 

Happy New Year Craig.

Larry, I came across this Youtube video of the Llangollen to Corwen line (about 1964 I reckon) and shows 9610 at Carrog.  Enjoy! www.youtube.com/watch?v=msr7v-fSOj8

Ray

Not sure why the link doesn't work but it does if you copy and paste into google - the video is titled 'Llan 2 Corwen 60's'.

Backtracking on Post #358.......................There'll be no BR black 'Manors' on my layout! Which means a reversion to post 1956. 

GWR brick waiting room drawings........... I crossed that hurdle last night and have now made computer drawings for Carrog's Down station building.  

Hi.

I have been catching up slowly....but I have finally got here!

There is always the GWR green Manor that has not been re-painted to be found in the earlier 1950s.... ;)

1952-1954....well that's my time slot....EIIR Royal Mail from 1952....Coronation 1953....Crosville got the first Bristol Lodekkas in 1954 (Base Toys model!)....

I have found a book in my collection, a copy of which may help the project. It is called Carrog - A Welsh Country Station, by Paul Lawton. It is published by 'A Purely Local Publication' and printed by W.H. Evans of Chester. Unusually (for these days) it does not have an ISBN or a date of publication, but I think it's quite recent as I picked up my copy within the last 12 months from the main book shop in Llangollen. (The town not the station.) It only cost £4-50 and there are similar publications on Glyndyfrdwy and Llangollen itself.

The book has lots of useful photos including a fair few taken in the 1950s. Identifiable locos from this era are 6339 and 4102. There are also a couple of shots of the clerestory camping coach W9903W and interior shots of a similar coach. Some of the photos give interesting details, not just of the station but of coaches running through it. It also covers (briefly) Bonwm Halt and the former slate siding.

Hope this is of interest. The camping coach would make a very nice cameo.

(Nearly forgot) The books says Carrog was the name of one of two local 'townships' the other being Mwstwr. So there's a good Welsh name for consideration.

Thanks Poggy1165, I have only just come across this post today. I suspect there are a finite number of pictures of Carrog Station and that most have found thier way into publications or Internet websites.  Carrog shared the same problem with many many other wayside stations in that a photographer in the steam-era would hardly have alighted from a train there just to wait a couple of hours to photograph another train. Travel by car was just not done except by the very few wealthy railway photographers. With only a fortnights summer holiday to hand, photographers naturally headed for busy patches, although for many rural areas, much valuable work was done by local photographers who covered their own patch. 

Hell, I don't recognize it Phil!  Noooo, I'm not complaining haha. Your grit-blaster has certainly earned it's keep since you bought it. So thanks very much. With a mounting backlog of 0 gauge to paint and line, I'll be off on a busmans holiday when I finish work! Thinking about the locos themselves, they are all small prototypes and yet they look big in 7mm scale. 

• 1 month later...

I had a relaxing morning taking another batch of photos of Carrog station today, then the icing on the cake was the arrival of this GWR Large Prairie. Roll on the arrival of Heljan's 0 gauge model...

post-6680-0-43661400-1487955351_thumb.jpg

The typical GWR numberplate...

post-6680-0-82495000-1487955357.jpg

Blasting away from Carrog....

post-6680-0-11733200-1487955356_thumb.jpg

Between Corwen and Carrog....

post-6680-0-92361000-1487955353_thumb.jpg

Great photos from Carrog, Larry and thanks for the close up of the number plate.  In fact I got mine right in terms of filing down the etch but since my loco is black, early BR lion, there can be no green on the plate.  Should there be black where there is green on 5199?  I probably won't change it on 1459 now, though.

I have ordered a large prairie too, but mine will be 4175 for sentimental reasons.  And the Birmingham 4 coach suburban set is coming as well.  In this case the coaches will arrive before the loco.  That never happened on the North Warwickshire Line!

I understand you have had a storm - a different storm today has me driven indoors and no painting was possible as a result.  More a problem of wind than humidity.

When Oswestry was on my mind, I bought a SanCheng LMS Ivatt Class 2 mogul for working the Llanfyllyn Branch service. Since then I have decided to build Carrog. So when it has been fully painted in BR lined black as 46512, it will probably be sold to finance more GWR locos. These Class 2's did work over the Llangollen line occasionally but this was in the 1960's. 

Heritage lines all across the UK are doing a fantastic job and if you were around in the days of steam, it is easy to imagine nothing much has changed in 50 years or more. That was what was running through my mind this morning when i just stood there as if waiting for my train into town....

post-6680-0-13811300-1487968180_thumb.jpg

The entrance into the field (behind the Down platform) will be to the coal yard on my layout....

post-6680-0-39417600-1487968182_thumb.jpg

Great pics Larry, I'm really looking forward to getting back down there again very soon.

I've just bought the Hattons 14XX in OO in 1930's Great Western Livery for my new BLT project.

Thanks. Are you pleased with the Hattons 14XX Andy?  Mine is purely for display and I have a feeling it will end up green one day.  

Archived