Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

Thanks. Are you pleased with the Hattons 14XX Andy?  Mine is purely for display and I have a feeling it will end up green one day.  

I sure am Larry, It's only done a couple of feet each way so far until I get some propper Track laid on the BLT but the level of detail is trully astounding IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Great photos from Carrog, Larry and thanks for the close up of the number plate.  In fact I got mine right in terms of filing down the etch but since my loco is black, early BR lion, there can be no green on the plate.  Should there be black where there is green on 5199?  I probably won't change it on 1459 now, though.

I have ordered a large prairie too, but mine will be 4175 for sentimental reasons.  And the Birmingham 4 coach suburban set is coming as well.  In this case the coaches will arrive before the loco.  That never happened on the North Warwickshire Line!

I understand you have had a storm - a different storm today has me driven indoors and no painting was possible as a result.  More a problem of wind than humidity.

Paul, either you need to visit Specsavers or I do, but I can't see any green on 5199 on my computer.

Gawd I love the GWR Halls, so it was worth getting soaked just to see one at this weekends Llangollen Gala. I was stood with the signalman when this was taken and, like me, he was beginning to feel the damp in his bones by mid afternoon. He was collecting the single line staff at Carrog (I didn't ask why they didn't deposit it on the pole)....

post-6680-0-82545100-1488566549_thumb.jpg

I'll be over there again in the morning with a Day-Rover ticket..... 

post-6680-0-12835000-1488566548_thumb.jpg

An impressive looking Mucky Duck. I saw one looking exactly like this at Bolton MPD in 1960 when one came on shed ex works, presumably fresh from Horwich Works....

post-6680-0-97173300-1488669758_thumb.jpg

Another view during uncoupling. Note the M&GN tablet single line token recess on the Tender. With an ensemble such as this, it is easy to see how BR's new liveries brightened up the railway network in 1949....

post-6680-0-57224700-1488669761_thumb.jpg

The 4MT is, to me, an attractive loco, so I refuse to use derogatory nicknames! Perhaps it's the American influences in the design.

Modern Outline Kits makes a very nice kit of this loco which I must tackle one of these days. It is certainly not an easy project, though. Dave Sharp sent me some of the instructions and I chose the 14XX first in order to get to lnow his design and construction methodology. It's good to have the preserved loco as a go by as well. I last rode behind it on the SVR about twelve years ago.

Paul

Those last couple of shots are great Larry, did you need to get special permission to to over to that Platform?

I did on New Years Day and only crossed the tracks under supervision while measuring up the buildings etc. But on Gala days, both platforms are usually open for operational purposes because trains pass at this station to and from Corwen East. 

The 4MT is, to me, an attractive loco, so I refuse to use derogatory nicknames! Perhaps it's the American influences in the design.

'Mucky Duck' is another one of those nicknames I never heard in steam days, but then this isn't surprising as I never mixed with spotters. I simply referred to them as Ivatt Class 4's. Personally I'm not a fan of the class except as a curio........I spent a lot of time looking over the detail yesterday, as it is built like a Meccano set! If I had been psychic I would have taken plenty of detail photos for you...

More Ivatt Class 4....

It certainly looks to tower over the GWR 'Manor'.....The Cl.4  looks like Swindons worst nightmare.....  :mosking:

post-6680-0-05734600-1488710557_thumb.jpg

A study in rivets......

post-6680-0-72190700-1488710558_thumb.jpg

An atmospherically smokey shot out on the line near Corwen. A BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T was on the other end.....

post-6680-0-32044600-1488710560_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I managed to blag a short ride to the shed at Kiddy some years ago. Plenty of room in that cab. Mind you the Hall may look smaller but I don't remember them lacking in power in regular service.

Don

.....The Cl.4  looks like Swindons worst nightmare.....  :mosking:

attachicon.gifWEB Mucky Duck @ Carrog 4 jpg.jpg

Apart from the fact that it's a puny 4MT, thus perpetuating the Midland obsession with small locomotives, I expect that at least one former Swindon Premium Apprentice, name of Durrant, would have thoroughly approved of the no-nonsense, everything accessible modern attributes.

He had a lot of praise for Swindon products, but accessibility for maintenance and modernity not so much.

:)

Archived