Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

Saw the models at GETS yesterday, they look clean and crisp and laoded with detail, did not photgraph them because photos of things in cabinets rarely do them justice.

• Like 1

No pics from this weekends exhibition? There was a bit of an 87 appearing in a pic on the Coronation thread. Nobody posting one on here. Love to see what the blue ones pantograph looks like

Saw some pictures of the Class 87s on Facebook. They looked the part. The BR Blue version looked to be fully completed. The BR Intercity version also looked to be complete however they've deliberately left the pantograph unassembled and on the sprues to show how's it looks.

Absolutely superb.

Not sure if I should buy an Intercity version or if I should wait for a Caledonian or Cotswold Rail one

• Like 4

Saw some pictures of the Class 87s on Facebook. They looked the part. The BR Blue version looked to be fully completed. The BR Intercity version also looked to be complete however they've deliberately left the pantograph unassembled and on the sprues to show how's it looks.

Absolutely superb.

Not sure if I should buy an Intercity version or if I should wait for a Caledonian or Cotswold Rail one

Can you send a link to those pictures?

the blue one looks really nice. glad theyve recreated the corridor behind the 2 central windows in the centre.  liking the slightly bulled up metal buffers too.

how much better does it look since they dropped that white battery charger box too.......

Even though I don't have a layout atm ive got to wire up a bit of track on a plank to see the loco posed with its lights on.........hopefully on 035 the lights wont be overly bright white.

• Like 1

Looking good! I do have a couple of reservations, but nothing major.

The front still looks a bit too curved to me. I have thought that ever since the original 3D print. However, I don't know if it's because my eyes have got too used to the Lima model?

The TDM cables look a bit thick - Hornby seem to have made them the same thickness as the multiple working cables on the blue variant, but in reality, TDM cables are much finer.

Nit picking really - looks pretty damn good in the main! Just gotta wait for the Virgin ones...

Is it me or is there a groove above the windscreen that looks a bit odd?

There is a groove on the real things alright.  I must admit that I'd never noticed it before probably as they were covered with dirt.

Here's a photo that shows it quite clearly  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/87028_Crewe_1988.jpg

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Gold

Wow! They both look fab. Can't wait to purchase them.

I would love it if Hornby produced a large logo one like 'cock of the north'.

I hope they don't, that Lima livery was never carried in real life. The only one anything like that was 87006 in the Exec dark grey

8544137379_a96e2ab285_z.jpg

87006. by curly42, on Flickr

Andi

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is the blue one missing the headlight box on the front, similar to Regional and Network Rail 31s? Looks as if the light is there to go on like the Intercity one that does have the box on front.

As built they didn't have the square box headlight, that was a later addition, the original headlight was as Hornby have modelled it, see photo of 87006 in previous post

Andi

The blue one looks absolutely superb , I love the look of the pantograph too ....looking forward to getting my hands on this one and can't wait to run it with some MK3 and MK2 stock .

Could we be seeing the most accurate UK outline pantograph on a ready to run model ?

• Like 1

As built they didn't have the square box headlight, that was a later addition, the original headlight was as Hornby have modelled it, see photo of 87006 in previous post

Andi

Yes, just noticed that. Nice to see that Hornby have it spot on. Have to admit, this is well out of my main knowledge, but it looked like the RR 31 issue all over again. Glad its not.