Hornby AA15 Toad Brake Van

Tom F

This is RTR of a very high standard.

And a representation of the roof planking on the underside of the veranda. 9/10.

But wasn't brake van 56866 (Rogerstone) a diagram AA2? Good job it's only a cad rendition. 1/10.

P

Yes. Not sure if Hornby read this thread, but sample AA15 brake van allocations can be found in:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/notes/brakeallocations.doc

Great list and I'm grateful for it's publication but when you spot one mistake within, it tends to throw doubt on the rest of it. Marazion's brake van in 1956 was W56580, an AA13. Guess which one I'm modelling.

P

Thanks, Porcy. File now updated.

(There's lots of gaps in the brake van allocation listing, and yes, maybe a few errors. Checking it is a 'roundtuit one day' sort of thing.)

Surely the Roundtoits were only fitted on first 5 vans, and, in any case, had all been replaced by Squaretoits by March 1953? 

The six lots of AA15 were produced over a longish timescale, and had differences.

I would advise Hornby to choose their running numbers and brandings from the penultimate lot (lot 910, numbers 68601-700), because this is the only lot that had GW boxes and the angle footboard stanchions, which is what Hornby are depicting.

Edit: Hmmm. Lot 888 might also be valid, depending on whether one believes the bible or the number in this Paul Bartlett collection: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrakevan/h361af2fe#h15d8eabe

On the matter of the 'bolted' L-section capping on the ends of the roof, I think that is a later 'modern' mod, but I can't put a date on it.

Edited by Miss Prism

How would one go about converting this model into an AA19. Obviously a change of buffers. I'm happy to skip some minor details, after all it will be a layout item of rolling stock.

How would one go about converting this model into an AA19. Obviously a change of buffers. I'm happy to skip some minor details, after all it will be a layout item of rolling stock.

Different boxes, springs, buffers and wheels, and new side top rails with corner gussets. I'm not sure which of those you might regard as minor details.

Different boxes, springs, buffers and wheels, and new side top rails with corner gussets. I'm not sure which of those you might regard as minor details.

It's personal preference of course, but my thoughts were to just change the wheels and buffers.

Many thanks for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh Thankyou God !

Now I won't have to scrape the handrails off my Ratio Toad kits....which will be disposed of once Hornby have their's for sale.

A brilliant move by Hornby....AND LONG OVERDUE. Why have we had to suffer crap toads all these years ?

Well it's better than suffering toad crap...

• RMweb Gold

The Engine Shed article mentions the guard's equipment carried inside.  For interest's sake, since it is out of sight from a modelling perspective, the van carried a shunting pole, brake stick, full set of 3 lamps, 1 tail and 2 side, paraffin for the lamps, usually in an old milk bottle, and a first aid kit on toads.  The guard must not take the van out without checking that all those items are present and in good order as part of his inspection of the train, and of course the lamps must be carried on the appropriate brackets and lit at night, during fog or falling snow, or if there was a tunnel of more than 440 yards on the train's route.  On a toad he must also satisfy himself that the sandboxes are filled and in working order

He would also want to be carrying a bucket, to fetch coal in should he run low (coal is carried in the bunker, which is basically a metal tray surrounding the stove and steel panels in the side and end), locomotives and signal boxes being a good source of coal, sticks and kindling to get the stove going, and yesterday's newspaper, also handy for lighting the stove but vital for stopping up any draughts that become apparent when the train is under way.  The bucket comes in handy should he need to get sand, and sometimes for, um, other needs. The van, as well as being equipped with a stove, has benches along the side and a desk at, IIRC, the right hand end inside the door leading to the verandah.  The benches are cushioned for their entire length on a toad, which made them popular with loco crews who knew they were going to be inside loops for a while, and of course the one on the stove side is shorter.  A steel rod is screwed to the roof in front of the stove and hooks on it are used for drying clothes.  There is no form of lighting.

Restricted use vans carried any other items appropriate to the duties they were allocated to, an example being portable point levers, or clips and spikes for facing points.  The benches were hinged above lockers which would contain this sort of equipment.

In a more modern era, the brake van carries a pair of track circuit clips as well, mounted on wooden blocks screwed to the wall, but that is not relevant to toads.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Surely the Roundtoits were only fitted on first 5 vans, and, in any case, had all been replaced by Squaretoits by March 1953? 

As a general rule, yes, but some vans which received full overhauls after September 1958 had the toits swapped, so that squaretoits were replaced by roundtoits if no reconditioned squaretoits were available.  No records were kept and modellers should consult photographic evidence.  A Swindon memorandum dated February 1962 instructed that all vans were to be fitted with self-greasing ovaltoits on overhaul, except for the Pontnewynydd vans which did not have the headroom for anything but roundtoits*, but due to an oversight this was not actually issued until 18 months later, and as the vans were withdrawn shortly afterwards it is doubtful that any were actually ever fitted with self-greasing ovaltoits.  They never got around to it...

*Swindon was apparently unaware that the Pontnewynydd 'Noah's Ark' vans had already been withdrawn, and in any case had retained their original cast iron dodecahedraltoits, presumably fitted locally as no Swindon drawing was issued for them.  

dodecahedraltoits

Looks like making sensible contributions in the early hours is not advisable whilst under the influence of seasonal beverages.   :wink_mini:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

GWR Freight Brakevan Equipment

In 1936 -

Set of Side and tail lamps, oil can, hand brush, sand bucket, Short drawbar and hook, fire shovel, shunting pole, not less than 2 sprags, brake stick.

N.B/  The equipment as at 1936 was little changed from that of 1920 the only difference being the deletion, at some intermediate date, of two hand scotches from the list.

Revised during WWII  to read 'bucket' instead of sand bucket, and 'tail lamp and set of side lamps' instead of previous description.  Also the following items were listed as still allowing the van to be used in traffic if they were missing - hand brush, fire shovel, and bucket.

Further revised c.1959 to delete hand brush, firs shovel and bucket.

Revised 1960 to BR wide standard with the following list of equipment -

2 sprags, 1 shunting pole, 1 brake stick, 1 half gallon oil can, 2 side lamps, 1 tail lamp

Revised March 1968 to delete the sprags and add 2 sets of track circuit clips/

Revised December 1976 to delete the half gallon oil can  (but don't forget that a drop of lamp oil was helpful for getting the stove going ;) ).

Reissued June 1978 with no further changes.

• Like 2

Hesitating to ask this........but what's a sprag?

Something you shove through the wheel (Spokes or Hole) to stop it rotating. Sprags are known as "dregs" in some parts of the country.

Anybody going to work for the NCB received a full days training in how to sprag a tub. (Mine Car)  This would usually consist of a team of new  starts pushing a tub down an incline (no brakes) to achieve warp speed, with one individual trying to arrest the forward motion of the tub by throwing a sprag between the spokes.

Oh what fun!

Edited by Porcy Mane