Hornby AA15 Toad Brake Van

Tom F

• RMweb Gold

I've always found a small amount of thread drift to be quite enlightening. Lets not put a brake on it.

P

Does 'thread drift' have a direct proportional ratio to 'cant deficiency'?

As one boss was heard to say " we are never deficient in can't....".

Ian.

Does 'thread drift' have a direct proportional ratio to 'cant deficiency'?

I'll pitch back in by being inclined to agree with that.

As one boss was heard to say " we are never deficient in can't....".

Crikey! I thought you had written, "defecate in cans", as some goods train guards had to do (do).  A poo-r attempt by me to try and move things back on topic.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Will a Toad be operated on Croft Depot then Porcy?

Seriously, I saw a picture on a different thread on the forum with one seen at possibly Heaton yard c. 1991. Not the right era I know, but if only they remained in main line operation a little longer, then I could have bought one . . . :(

On the ex-Airfix kits etc, all ex-Airfix and Kitmaster and Dapol mouldings are now marketed as Kitmaster, as Dapol realised they owned the famous trademark. Apparently the new moulding machinery they recently bought may mean new additions to the older ranges. Also the Airfix wagons all now come with metal wheels of good quality.

Hopefully the Toad arrives today!

Seriously, I saw a picture on a different thread on the forum with one seen at possibly Heaton yard c. 1991. Not the right era I know, but if only they remained in main line operation a little longer, then I could have bought one . . . :(

A relative was a guard at Penzance. One of his Toads,  W17398, a AA21 branded Marazion RU turned up in Newcastle Central station on the afternoon parcels from York on the 18th April 1962. To quote from the RO at the time, "it was hastily dispatched homeward the same day on the 11:46 p.m. Kings Cross Parcels!"

The transfers are drawn, replacement buffers, vac cylinder and screw couplings acquired. So in answer to your question and granting of permission by the owner/builder, a toad may be seen on Croft Depot. As probably known, anything can happen (and usually does) on Crock Depot.

P

(who will be a tad apprehensive, taking into account what happened the last time a brake van ran down the branch).

Edit: My relative said that a the GWR type toads would work all the way through to Tyneside and back on the specially timetabled "Broccolos" when in season.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

A couple ended up at Low Fell engineers' yard, IIRC, working with cranes and track machines. The one at Heaton Yard may have been there in conjunction with ECML Electrification works; the depot used part of the former coal depot.

Edited by Fat Controller

If only the Bachmann Toad I got at Warley last year was in P4, then I could have popped round to Croft Depot (which I saw and I believe was great) and asked you to test run it!

Anyway, back to the Hornby Toad.

Hornby has unfortunately chosen a running number from lot 845, which doesn't have the feature set of the model. The only lot that reflects Hornby's feature set is lot 910.

Interesting.

Any thoughts on the discrepancies between:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

and the information published in the listing in the July 1976 MRC?

P

Ther

A couple ended up at Low Fell engineers' yard, IIRC, working with cranes and track machines. The one at Heaton Yard may have been there in conjunction with ECML Electrification works; the depot used part of the former coal depot.

There were four there at one time including a yellow one, when I worked in Newcastle 1990-3. I have posted pics before before. i will add when I get home from work.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Hattons, and the Royal Mail, I received my toad brake vans this lunchtime.

I'm back elsewhere this afternoon, so I can't have a really good ogle.

First impression from me is that it's good- very good. Well done Hornby.

Ian.

Any volunteers?

No ta. I'll stick to my very slow modelling? :smile_mini2: 

A lot of what I think to be mistakes may just be simple typos or character recognition errors.

E.g.

AA13 Lot 817 (65 vans)

56518 to 56582_MRC

56518 to 56632_website

AA15 Lot931 (100 vans)

68501 to 68600_MRC

68501 to 68700_website

P

Hoping I've typed that correctly?

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm pleased with it and having seen the samples at Warley last year we haven't had to wait long have we.

post-126-0-60774400-1499866985_thumb.jpg

Underframe.

post-126-0-43131700-1499867338_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-20247400-1499867369_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-86120600-1499867394_thumb.jpg

Comparison with Bachmann/Mainline version.

post-126-0-53562600-1499867414_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A picture of W68571 (as made by Hornby in BR Grey) appears on page 7 of the book Railways in Profile No.5 - Cattle & Brake Vans.

In the panel next to the number, someone has chalked the name: "The Potsmill Flyer" (or maybe Postmill?).

Can anyone throw any light on this inscription? It might be a nice little bespoke lettering job for those so inclined.

I received my vans today and am very impressed with them. The handrails are very fine as are the front and rear lamp irons. Many thanks to Hornby!

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

The handrails are very fine as are the front and rear lamp irons. Many thanks to Hornby!

Brian

Yes and they take a Modelu lamp nicely. The roof planking is also there on the verandah.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Comparison with Bachmann/Mainline version.

attachicon.gifDSCN1486 (2).JPG

The new Hornby version looks very nice, but it has to be said that the Mainline version stands up pretty well too.

The Mainline handrails may be solid-backed, but they do 'appear' to be a tad finer than the ones on the new Hornby TOAD.

As a 'layout' model, the Mainline one will not look out-of-place if run with the new one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting, John.  I am looking forward to buying a couple of BR liveried versions of the new Hornby toad mainly, I readily confess, because of the improvement afforded by the separate handrails, but this is not the main issue with my 2 current toads, a Mainline in bauxite nearly 40 years old and an identical Bachmann in unfitted grey bought last year.  The handrails, though moulded, are fairly effective because they are nicely picked out in white against a darker background, and give me less irritation than they perhaps should.  My main points of discontention with the ML toad and it's current Baccy successor are the brake blocks, not in line with the wheels which screams 'toy' to me and the only vehicles left in service on my layout with this fault, and the awful moulded detail on the verandah.  The sanding lever is a bit of a blob and the sandboxes are even blobbier; the shape doesn't quite cut it IMHO and the moulding is simply not as sharp as one might reasonably expect from a modern mould.  Such pictures as I've seen of the new Hornby version look fine.  I'm happy with the livery and numbering, even on the older one it's up to any modern standard.

But I'm looking forward to photographing the new vans in light that shows off the handrail shadows...

• Like 1